What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Metallica Remake(?) Discussion

It does look pretty awesome to me, I bought an original LE version which I sold years ago. If I had the money and space I would be all over this.

I wonder if they will upgrade the code for original owners to at least enjoy a few more songs.

Nice to see Stern going higher than the 8-12 songs max on a band themed pin, love them saying "over 20" songs, why not just say 21 songs?! I must admit this looks bloody lovely, MET pro was my first nib in 2017, the memory remains, but it was half the price this one is, thats sad but true, I blame brexit but I appreciate this is a premium, spike 2, UV lights etc, can I justify the price tho....hmmmm, this might be the harvester of sorrow for my bank balance...

how often will I need to change the battery?

Damn this pin looks amazing! Had a hankering for a Metallica for a while and narrowly missed out on the vault listed earlier this year because of dithering.

Unfortunately pumped my money into something else (and still pumping).

But massive congrats to anyone who does pull the trigger 👏

Watched Gonzo vid on the new Met. Love his vids and enthusiasm but his knowledge is limited. Firstly the previous Met was the SAM boardset which is extremely reliably. Way more reliable than spike. That era of playfields were solid too. My 2013 playfield hasn’t even got a dimple never mind other imperfections you can get near the posts with the newer playfields.

Last edited:
Mixed feeling on this

Love:
Cabinet art
Insider connected
UV lighting
New modes
New animations
Hate:
New Sparky
Both Translites
Pf art looks darker
Grandad concert footage
Meh:
New songs

My 10p;
Cab art on both Remake model is far superior to the OG ones.
Translights; really good, but maybe I prefer the OG.
Playfield art; need to see the remake in the flesh, but so far I think the OG had more charm and was clearer to see, with the bright and bolder colours - both really nice though.
Sparky; both are great. Love all the UV stuff; that was my dream. Hoping the UV light sets off my UV dirty donny metallica poster I have on the wall (have a limited edition spare I might sell if anyone is interested)
Side rails on the LE looks great, but bit dossapointed the powdercoat is just matt black? (Maybe looks sparkly in person or something?)

What we've seen of the animations looks good and the concert footage will be great; MET's live shows are spectacular.

8 new songs (+more will be added I reckon); nice to see some.Hard Wired + 72 seasons representation. Wish there more Death Magnetoc tunes.
Used to hate King Nothing when it came out, but I like it now. Frantic; not a bad St.Anger tune.

Really interested to see how well the expression lighting will be implemented; I didn't think much of it on LZ.

I think if you are a big fan of the original/band and you own the SAM ver, then you will be excited and could possibly justify owning both, or will upgrade. Everyone else will/should be haply with what they have, which is still an awesome game, which has a different charm than the remake.

Edit: removed my previous moan, as realised I was being a bit of an overly defensive fan boy and that I did ask for everyone's opinions in the first place - soz😋

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the band or even the style of music, I have never owned one either.

This means I have no interest in this game, its almost a relief that a game is launched and I dont have to consider if i might, would or could buy it.

If someone recodes it with different music and video say 90's house music then I would consider it but probably still wouldnt buy one as even the artwork means nothing to me.

Having recently played the Rick and Morty version of Iron Maiden I found that a lot of fun but you still have to look at the playfield etc and then it makes no sense.

So for me its a certain no, I think the only downside it people who buy this wont be buying and eventually selling something I might want to buy used, otherwise all good with this.

I am not a fan of the band or even the style of music, I have never owned one either.

This means I have no interest in this game, its almost a relief that a game is launched and I dont have to consider if i might, would or could buy it.

If someone recodes it with different music and video say 90's house music then I would consider it but probably still wouldnt buy one as even the artwork means nothing to me.

Having recently played the Rick and Morty version of Iron Maiden I found that a lot of fun but you still have to look at the playfield etc and then it makes no sense.

So for me its a certain no, I think the only downside it people who buy this wont be buying and eventually selling something I might want to buy used, otherwise all good with this.
The upside is, that whoever buys one of these might be selling something which you/someone else might want as a result? (Case in point; I'm selling my Walking Dead Premium, as I want a Metallica 👍🏻

I love Metallica, saw them in Vegas on my birthday - amazing experience.
I love the new art work (cab & playfield), the mix of animations & live footage is perfect for me & a good use of the LCD (like Elvira with b-movie footage & animations or Stranger Things with video & animations). I have no desire for certain songs, just chuffed that there’s more as it’ll freshen up the experience for me.
I’ve owned a Pro, sold that and now own a Premium, I’ll be selling/trading that & getting the new Premium. As it’s a dream theme for me I’m just looking forward to experience all the new stuff, it’ll be like falling in love again 🥰…. until the divorce!

Yeah amazing band. And Justice for All is top ten all time imo. I absolutely would love one of these but it's beyond me financially. I'm seriously thinking about another original though.

How will the affect the price of the older ones. The new premium is £11,000. LE £15K.
So given that Metallica is a common machine - What would the old premium fetch now? £7.5K ?

There is no way now I would be interested in the older pro/premium/LE.
I do prefer the old Sharky...
But with all the improvements, and the LCD screen - this would be the ones a lot of fans would go for.
The art seems much better, not a fan of dirty donut whatever his name was.

I know they have rumours of doing something like this to Ghostbusters - but personally I would like to see this treatment on Spiderman.

To me the new game looks better in every conceivable way. I prefer the new sparky even. Only thing I'm not huge on is the concert footage. Bit naff imo just like JJP GnR. That aside it's awesome.

I had a Monsters LE (my first ever LE).
Some of the changes on the new version I had already implemented years ago. I had replaced the standard flashers with UV bulbs, added 3D printed grave markers (which were also painted in different UV reactive paint) and had Sparky custom painted by @RudeDogg1. It seems that the LOTS of people had their Sparky custom painted (I'm sure there's a thread on Pinside with everyone's different versions)
I added the 'usual' mods as well such as colour DMD, snake (fang, tongue and body) , captive ball swap out. As well as that added custom back box hinges and EL paper back lit custom cut-out side rails.
So cosmetically at least there's lots of options for getting an OG more blinged.

The addition of songs would be neither here nor there to me, but the addition of 2 new modes sounds interesting.

Attachments

• Sparky.webp
    Sparky.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 27
Everything on the original works great for me. The DMD, callouts and sounds.
I'll reserve judgment on the new one until I properly see and hear it.

Hope they keep the hammer sound FX.

Last edited:
Didn’t even see the ad. 😉

I’m guessing where there’s one there might be another coming onto the market. Much as I love my pro the hammer is pretty cool.

I last saw Metallica live 25 years ago!

View attachment 263529
I was there too!:-) my first 'tallica gig.
I remember going with a group of mates and expecting the whole thing to be pretty easygoing as far as the crowd...but I was wrong.
There were no video screens; pretty old school and the crow were wild!
A few of us decided to try and get a bit further into the mix towards the front. I'm fairly tall (but admittedly skinny as a rake back when I was 19...not now!), but I soon ended up getting swept up and barged on to the floor. It was bloody scary, and I was crapping my pants, but luckily someone reached down and grabbed my hand to pull me up.
A couple of my mates and I all looked at wachother and shouted to move back out to where we'd been standing before.
Just as we were getting knocked around in the sea of people trying to get back, the band started playing something like MOP or another bedlam inducing tune, so the crowd went even more mental and we got thrown about even more.
Obviously made it out o.k, but when I though I'd be trampled on/crushed or whatever, that was one of the scariest of my life that I can remember. Part of it even before getting knocked over, was knowing that no security were magically going to be able to grab and pull me to safety.
(Yes... feel free to call me a pu**y lol)

Have seen the band bunch of times since then, but has never been that rowdy. One of my faves has got to be Knebworth in 2009; atmosphere was electric and the set list/performance was brilliant.
Also Mastodon and Alice in Chains (new singer) that day, who were also great.
NIN we're on before Metallica, but unfortunately I found them boring (would prob enjoy it more now). Limp Biskit pretty much sucked as always (although I do think Wes borland is great)

Back
Top Bottom