What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the forum in a bit of a lull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a funny meme I saw on Pinside.

I’ve taken it down so not to cause you offence.

Seems the humour and banter can only go one way.

Just a funny meme I saw on Pinside.

I’ve taken it down so not to cause you offence.

Seems the humour and banter can only go one way.
The only person that escalated it was you. No one mentioned racism or anything like that. And when you've been called out you don't like it. It's not about being offended - it's your attitude towards people.

There is nothing you can say that will offend me.

Just mind blown how quickly you can go from lecturing people how to behave, to calling them d1ckheads for not being onboard with the woke fad. Then claiming "Seems the humour and banter can only go one way"

The cognitive dissonance to the literal hypocrisy is just ........ I don't have words.

I'll crawl back under my rock now

The only person that escalated it was you. No one mentioned racism or anything like that. And when you've been called out you don't like it. It's not about being offended - it's your attitude towards people.
You were confused about what you could post without getting banned. I tried to offer genuine advice then you called me out for lecturing you.

I took the meme down genuinely as I didn’t want to cause further offence but you see it as some kind of guilty withdrawal.

I try really hard not to play the culture wars but it is just relentless on here recently. People have tried to explain how it makes them feel and we get the same ‘everything is woke’ ****e sprayed around. Someone challenges it and the same people pile on.

There is nothing you can say that will offend me.

Just mind blown how quickly you can go from lecturing people how to behave, to calling them d1ckheads for not being onboard with the woke fad. Then claiming "Seems the humour and banter can only go one way"

The cognitive dissonance to the literal hypocrisy is just ........ I don't have words.

I'll crawl back under my rock now
Well, setting that aside it’s nice to see you’re still on the scene @lukewells

I, for one, appreciate the problem of having such a level of verbal diarrhea baked into my very soul, that I am unable to post without fear of accidentally uttering strings of racial epithets, pledging my support for extremist political views and just being personally unpleasant at every turn. It's wholly better that I simply do not risk it, because I am simply just that unable to help myself.

It's so bad that it even crosses over just verbal diarrhea - I find myself unable to stop myself from typing out those foul words, hitting Post, and being mentally stunned and unable to edit or delete the post afterwards. It's an incredible and embarrassing problem.

...That's what it sounds like, to me, when people bring out the 'afraid to speak' chestnut. Do you not hear yourself?

Then again, I see the ease in which the whole 'woke gone mad' thing has been agreed upon to be affecting the forum, tut-tutted about, and I just groan. It's like a giant shared roleplay.
To be fair to the people concerned about saying the wrong thing, there are spaces on the t'internet (and in real life, but to a lesser extent) where my 'woke views' (according to some posters) would get me labelled 'far right' and banned/hounded for months.

It's very easy to find online cultures dominated by American uber-progressives where language is a constantly shifting buffet of 'word/issue of the month' and where offence taking is weaponised to gain social status. It's like Game of Thrones and as crazy as people fear/hear because, without a diversity of political views, there's no counterbalance to people going absolutely bonkers. So bonkers that I'd get insta-banned for using the word 'bonkers' because it might theoretically offend someone with mental health issues (once you start with this stuff, there is literally NOTHING you can say without theoretically offending someone). The only way to win is not to play.

Obviously, this pinball forum is not (thankfully) one of those spaces, which is why I feel comfortable posting here. I think some level of non-panic needs to be adopted - the people posting/moderating here are not the Oberlin College Women's Committee, and avoiding obvious, well-known racial slurs is not a big ask.

You were confused about what you could post without getting banned. I tried to offer genuine advice then you called me out for lecturing you.
Sorry the only confusion is from yourself. I am merely stating why people feel they can't post.

To be fair to the people concerned about saying the wrong thing, there are spaces on the t'internet (and in real life, but to a lesser extent) where my 'ultra-woke views' (according to some posters) would get me labelled 'far right' and banned/hounded for months.

It's very easy to find online cultures dominated by American uber-progressives where language is a constantly shifting buffet of 'word/issue of the month' and where offence taking is weaponised to gain social status. It's like Game of Thrones and as crazy as people fear/hear because, without a diversity of political views, there's no counterbalance to people going absolutely bonkers. So bonkers that I'd get insta-banned for using the word 'bonkers' because it might theoretically offend someone with mental health issues (once you start with this stuff, there is literally NOTHING you can say without theoretically offending someone). The only way to win is not to play.

Obviously, this pinball forum is not (thankfully) one of those spaces, which is why I feel comfortable posting here. I think some level of non-panic needs to be adopted - the people posting/moderating here are not the Oberlin College Women's Committee, and avoiding obvious, well-known racial slurs is not a big ask.
But my point still stands in that it really is not at all difficult to know what your audience is when you say something. I know what space I am in when I speak, and I know when I have been in one of those dysfunctionally extremely-sensitive groups. Knowing what they're actually like is a big part of why I know how rare and 'in a bubble' they are and why I think it's ridiculous that the greater public bellyaches about them non-stop.

I think the real problem is that too many people simply have never had to consider their audience before they say whatever they like. And they're getting caught with their pants down when they screw up and forget that places like twitter are open platforms, the digital equivalent of a soap box down your local shopping centre - not a quiet bar with your mates.

Sorry the only confusion is from yourself. I am merely stating why people feel they can't post.
‘Merely stating’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

I’m genuinely interested though, what is it specifically you want to say on here, a pinball forum, that you don’t think you can?

‘Merely stating’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

I’m genuinely interested though, what is it specifically you want to say on here, a pinball forum, that you don’t think you can?

@Arv am I right in thinking you don't know? You're just worried about stepping on a landmine.

Yes that's correct.
If that’s the case then I apologise for my that meme.

When I was told I was lecturing I assumed you didn’t actually want the question answering!

I’ve managed to post on arcade and pinball lists and forums for 25 years without a single moderation, warning or argument (that I’m aware of) but I guess there is a first time for everything!

Personally, I've quite enjoyed my interactions with Col - but I don't know Col.

I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone but saying things that have strong views on a misinformed generalisations is dangerous, online or offline.

Would Col have said, what he said if he was in a room full of Mexican bodybuilders?

If so, then fair play to him - but you have to own that sh*t, come what may.

If not, shut up.

So who do I have to shoot to get invited to these whats app groups or new forum? lol:PMSL:

Thought this for me was one of the last places freedom of speech was OK but clearly not.
There is no such thing as "freedom of speech" any more. Hasnt been for years.

One of the issues I had was that Legally i could have been personally pulled up in court for contravention of the Communications act, let alone Colin.

Also, we have to bear in mind that there are people of all sorts of origins in pinball, some of whom are on this forum. How would they feel if they came accross things like this in the one safe place they believed they could come.

It's nothing to do with "woke" or freedom of speech. If you think it still exists, you are sorely mistaken.

I was personally aghast that some members came out with some of the stuff that they said in that thread!

Last edited:
I think why people were upset was that the unanimous decision was disproportionate to the crime. It was like giving someone a fine of £287,000 for going 5mph over the speed limit. But like you say, it's your forum. I'm just one of the people that make it exist.

32 year ban incoming :rofl:
It's worse now - Partake in "casual" racism and you are perminently banned.

I dont have any issues with people having their own opinions. Just dont break the law (or the forum T&C's!!)

It's worse now - Partake in "casual" racism and you are perminently banned.

I dont have any issues with people having their own opinions. Just dont break the law (or the forum T&C's!!)

Permanently?

If the site goes woke it will lose its core audience and the site will die.

I really don't know what to say, this is amazing, what is "woke" ??
What is different on this forum compared to a few years ago? Did people use racial slurs often or something? Were people sexist? I'm confused because I don't remember it being like that.

Can you define 'Woke' ?
I genuinely believe the 'woke' outrage is manufactured, being 'woke' used to be a positive thing, then suddenly its used to create division. The outrage is manufactured, people have always been 'woke'.
I don't see an issue with being considerate, I always try to be and I don't feel like I can't say anything because I am here to talk about pinball. If people are scared to say something then surely they were going to say something that is wrong?

The way i look at it - dont say on here something that you wouldnt say directly to someone.

It's really not hard!

For the record, I REALLY admire Colin and what he does for the community (tho he probably doesnt like me now!).
HOWEVER thats no excuse for racial slurs - even if said in jest.
Nowadays, you can be prosecuted for it, in jest or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom