What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X Men - and apparently people like it. (and me too now :))

Big fan of the 90s DMD classics and I really enjoyed both AFM and FT when I played it PBR though to be fair my go to first game was always TNA which is pretty brutal.
My current line up includes a WH20 which can be pretty tough but it's easy to understand, I love the theming, love the music and callouts and it has that magic one more go factor.
I played CCr in Jackbar last Christmas on a visit to New York and really enjoyed it so it's still high on the list. I need to get up to the new PBR as I know there's one up there and I can't wait to try Pulp Fiction too.

Not a fan of the streams really so they do the machine justice!

I only watch 5-10 mins before I get bored.

Trailers are enough for me and sterns track record to deliver code these days.

Big fan of the 90s DMD classics and I really enjoyed both AFM and FT when I played it PBR though to be fair my go to first game was always TNA which is pretty brutal.
My current line up includes a WH20 which can be pretty tough but it's easy to understand, I love the theming, love the music and callouts and it has that magic one more go factor.
I played CCr in Jackbar last Christmas on a visit to New York and really enjoyed it so it's still high on the list. I need to get up to the new PBR as I know there's one up there and I can't wait to try Pulp Fiction too.
Yeah, WH20's a top title. I love the 90s Bally/Williams pins - they're just so humorous and evocative whatever the theme :)

Pulp Fiction's a toughie... :)

To all of the people commenting/complaining about the 'off centre' flippers - you do realise that EVERY single Stern game released has the flippers off centre, along with pretty much every other game you've ever played.

Just gave the stream a 2nd watch. Solely watched the playfield cam this time and ignored the lcd screen and people (turn the volume off if you have to, to ignore them). I actually think this might have been a case of just a bad stream.

Watching the shots and ball paths this still looks incredibly fun and different to me. I love TMNT too though, which some people find too brutal. I like that modes seem to be able to be started from shots that feed the left or right flipper so you don't have to shoot the same shot every time to start modes. My only real concern on a 2nd watch is the holding pin on the left wireform failed to stop the ball in time a few times.

Anyway it won't be long till people can play it and form a proper opinion either way but I'm back to being as excited as I was before the first watch.

In regards to that pin for the cerebral ball lock on that left rail I hope they use it as a ball lock!

I noticed on the stream it held two balls for a time.

Last edited:
No doubt this will turn into a thread where people who weren't going to buy it anyway give all the excuses to why they no longer want to buy it :rolleyes: :popcorn:

No doubt this will turn into a thread where people who weren't going to buy it anyway give all the excuses to why they no longer want to buy it :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Followed by people playing it and realising that it's not actually as brutal as the stream suggested.

Honestly, it looks like a decent game with some excellent ball paths. The outlane drain to the mini flipper is exceptional.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my decision to buy Jaws but this looks like a decent shooter.

I'm still where I was initially . . . I need to play it first to see if it's too tough for me personally. If I get one, it will be the pro.

Last edited:
Well this has taken

Followed by people playing it and realising that it's not actually as brutal as the stream suggested.

Honestly, it looks like a decent game with some excellent ball paths. The outlane drain to the mini flipper is exceptional.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my decision to buy Jaws but this looks like a decent shooter.

I'm still where I was initially . . . I need to play it first to see if it's too tough for me personally. If I get one, it will be the pro.
Oh I don't disagree. I'm still definitely up for picking one up, and after watching the stream I'm not put off by anything I've seen. I think what Jack has done so far has been great :thumbs:
With a funky layout like it's got there will be loads of scope for future software updates/tweaks

The music and SFX, especially the voice work was terrible but something they can easily remedy. They also need to get the music and the SFX to match the speed and flow of the game. The game shoots lightning fast but the music was often slow and downbeat which didn’t match the game at all,

It doesn’t work like that. We have a collection that we’re pretty happy with, but I’m always aware something could come out that’s *better* and I go into a cold sweat wondering what I’d choose to sell.

There are certain themes and designers that I expect to be an insta-buy (Labyrinth and Jaws), but then I see/play the pin and go off the idea. Then again, sometimes I casually play something I wasn’t remotely interested in (Elton John) and end up owning one.

So… yes, I was definitely open to UXM being THE GOAT, which gave me the wow prickles of my first JP2 video or my first game of GZ.

I’m also aware that 90% of the pins in Funland (Electrocoin’s unofficial Stern showroom) are pretty ‘meh’. Nothing that would upset me if I was stuck on a desert island, but not worth buying either…

We are in a new pinball golden age, after all and, for every The Addams Family, there’s a Party Zone :)

At current prices games need to be pretty close to perfect, unless you’ve got limitless pockets. Why would anyone drop 10k on something they are not completely happy with?

The music is bad, slow tracks while the gameplay is lightning fast doesn’t match up. The voice work is the main issue though that **** is terrible, made even worse by the fact a lot are huge fans of the animated show - that show still has some of the best voice work period, every character was on point!

At current prices games need to be pretty close to perfect, unless you’ve got limitless pockets. Why would anyone drop 10k on something they are not completely happy with?
This 🖕

I’m (just about) prepared to pay the inflated prices, but only for the ‘best pins of all time’. Stern would need to hit out one banger after another, each better than the last, to make me a regular customer.

So far, UXM looks a ‘your local barcade needs a fresh title to amuse the punters’ tier of pinball machines. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but not what I’m looking for at the price.

The music and sound FX are truly dreadful!
Compared with DP it’s extremely amateurish.
Kinda like they had no idea what to do in this department.
I wouldn’t take the chance at these prices that above may somehow get better with code updates.

I went back and watched the last 15mins of the gameplay stream, still not feeling this game but love the unique layout.

But here they are revealing LE models first and trying to pull people in to fork out $13k or in our case 15 grand, you should be mind blown on what you are seeing and hearing from the get go, but I just can't see any wow moments personally.

Sure the audio and music and effects will get sorted and game will turn out to be good, plenty time to see the upcoming changes, they be made for years.

I just watched gameplay reveal from Deadpool 6yrs ago and its night and day comparison with the audio, LCD graphics and light show, and I believe that was early code also.

I cannot wait to play one, but after seeing the video I couldn’t in all good faith buy one blind. The flipper gap still bothers me and even with the centre post, there was a lot of drains down the middle.

I thought the animations and music were good and I am a comic book fan.

Looking forward to playing one.

Also is the guy who works at Funland still here- I imagine they'd be the first to get one in the UK. Wonder if he has the inside track on when one will show there.

The pinside thread for this game is wild- it puts pinballinfo drama into the shade.
Pinsiders are intense. They're all like:

Pinsider 1: "I couldn't choose between Avatar CE and Uncanny X-Men LE so I pre-ordered BOTH OF THEM for my 250-pin collection." 🤪

Pinsider 2: "How DARE you pollute this X-men thread by mentioning JJP, AT ALL. EVER!!!! Jack Guarnieri is a hamster and his pinballs smell of elderberries, whereas I own EVERY Stern from 2000 onwards in both Pro, Premium, AND LE editions." 🤯

Pinsider 3: "My distro phoned me while I was at poolside the other day, and I preordered UXM, Avatar, and also Pokemon, Harry Potter, Back to the Future and The Matrix, even though they haven't been announced yet because THEY'RE GOING TO BE SOOOO SMOOTH, and they're definitely going to be $50k by the time they come out so totally worth the money." 🤩

Pinsider 4: "OMG! OMG! This is going to be a Top 5 pin for sure. The music is SOOO amazing. The lighting is AMAZING. The shots are revolutionary. I'm calling it now THIS IS THE GOAT!" :eek:

Pinsider 5: "I preordered the LE based on a single leaked image of Jack Danger's thumb and, then, when I saw the gameplay footage, I phoned my distro in tears, like... PLEASE PLLEEEASSSEEEE let me change my deposit to Avatar. And he's such a good distro. He's on first-name-terms with me and even came to my wedding." 😭

Pinsider 6: "Dude, I can see your LE for sale at $8,500 because you're 'getting too many pins in'. You're TOTALLY lying." 🤬

Pinsider 7: "Stern. Suck." 👹

Last edited:
I grew up with the UXM comic in the 80s. I remember the Heroes for Hope special for Ethiopia, Secret Wars, Days of Future Past etc.

I appreciate that licences cost a lot, which forces a price point on music, animation and voice acting etc.

Plus, Stern are under a lot of pressure to put as much innovation as possible into games at the lowest price point possible, whilst not alienating the pinball community.

I think if the game play is good, the code progresses and third parties (like Cleland) produce good music and cartoon clips that circumnavigate the existing licence agreements - then Xmen will rock.

It's got the ingredients, just needs time to simmer.

Pinsiders are intense. They're all like:

Pinsider 1: "I couldn't choose between Avatar CE and Uncanny X-Men LE so I pre-ordered BOTH OF THEM for my 250-pin collection." 🤪

Pinsider 2: "How DARE you pollute this X-men thread by mentioning JJP, AT ALL. EVER!!!! Jack Guarnieri is a hamster and his pinballs smell of elderberries, whereas I own EVERY Stern from 2000 onwards in both Pro, Premium, AND LE editions." 🤯

Pinsider 3: "My distro phoned me while I was at poolside the other day, and I preordered UXM, Avatar, and also Pokemon, Harry Potter, Back to the Future and The Matrix, even though they haven't been announced yet because THEY'RE GOING TO BE SOOOO SMOOTH, and they're definitely going to be $50k by the time they come out so totally worth the money." 🤩

Pinsider 4: "OMG! OMG! This is going to be a Top 5 pin for sure. The music is SOOO amazing. The lighting is AMAZING. The shots are revolutionary. I'm calling it now THIS IS THE GOAT!" :eek:

Pinsider 5: "I preordered the LE based on a single leaked image of Jack Danger's thumb and, then, when I saw the gameplay footage, I phoned my distro in tears, like... PLEASE PLLEEEASSSEEEE let me change my deposit to Avatar. And he's such a good distro. He's on first-name-terms with me and even came to my wedding." 😭

Pinsider 6: "Dude, I can see your LE for sale at $8,500 because you're 'getting too many pins in'. You're TOTALLY lying." 🤬

Pinsider 7: "Stern. Suck." 👹
used to be great until they ruined rec.games.pinball so all went there instead.

in comparison, games are dirt cheap. Id be buying them all too.

Back
Top Bottom