What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2024 thread

Who is old enough to remember that guy trying to sell a new in box hurricane for £7k ?

Casting my critical spinachy eye over this Popeye described as superb condition -

Cabinet totally faded
Wrong Start button
Missing the Cleats on the apron - blue tape covering the mounting points.
Missing the posts on the Swee Pea ramp on the upper playfield , possibly also missing the metal separators behind hard to tell from picture - these are critical and without them basically turns that whole feature into a lottery .

It also has the flat Bluto head plastic - which is rubbish . The original sculpted head with flasher in his nose looks 100x better.

Last edited:
There was pretty limited discussion before which I why I commented now, like how do you suspect it of being a scam, what are you looking out for? Trying to learn

The price is too cheap for starters and that very advert used a picture of a machine that sold on eBay in April for about the right money.

At that price it would already have been snapped up by someone on here.

Last edited:
You're welcome 👍

If you or your friend is ready to buy a machine then you could do a lot worse than getting a maximum figure that you want to pay and putting a post on here to see what members are willing to part with.
You will then be contacted via the Private Messaging system on here and maybe conclude a safe hassle free purchase.

Scams are hard to detect sometimes and sometimes you can never be sure but due diligence and sitting on your hands can save problems going forward.

Happy hunting ;)

@KendarTheOrc

A Bally/ Williams game from 1990 to 1999 (first generation orange DMD games) would be the ideal first pin IMHO. T2 is one of these. They are robust, lots about, tried and tested boards, plenty of guys on here know how to fix them, reasonable game depth.

You would be taking a huge leap to buy one from a stranger/ ebay/ facebook ....

1. If it looks cheap there is a 95 per cent chance it is a scam or a total wreck. There are guys on here who monitor every selling platform minute by minute who will strike in seconds if a game is cheap/ mis priced. Roll up that morning with a van and cash.

2. As a noob you run the risk of getting screwed by an unscrupulous seller - but the time you probably need to assess the bona fides means an experienced guy will beat you to it

3. If you spot a bargain game and ask on here before pulling the trigger there is a danger you will get gazumped if the game is actually a good 'un

4. My suggestion is you buy from here and accept that as a noob you might overpay. So pay a bit over market price to get a game with a trustworthy provenance. Many of us overpaid for our first game, I did, - it's practically a rite of passage.

Good luck

As an add on to that good advice from @DRD it might be worth stating that dependant upon your budget then you may not be able to get a machine with a theme that floats your boat.

In this scenario then you will have to lower your sights and take a machine that fits what you are prepared to pay and just have some fun with it.

I would love a Dirty Harry or a DMD machine of that 90's era but I am not in a position to afford one.
I am old enough to have been there when early solid state machines came along and therefore I can have a bit of nostalgic fun and reminiscing with my purchases that a lot of newer folk would deem boring.

Thanks will get them to do that, I think they're just looking to get a machine they can start to practice on having enoyjed some recent tourneys at pinball office. How does this one look? https://www.facebook.com/share/py736Dq88oHrc9MH/
There's plenty for sale on here, nothing take his fancy? Feel free to reach out via PM if you want to discuss any particular ad.

Thanks, I think they we're aiming for around £2k which I understand is low and I could only see projects on here for that. Have thoroughly encouraged them to join the forum though and look through the sales posts having used them myself

I'm not an expert by any means but my gut feeling tells me that it is not a fancied title and is a Gottlieb Premier which a lot of people don't like.
It's just not as desirable as some other machines and people on here would rather put that kind of money towards something they would get a better kick from.

Another bit of advice if I may be so bold.
If you see something or are offered one on here then go to youTube and watch somebody playing it if you can.
That way you can tell if the playability and the sounds etc. suit you.

For £2,000 I reckon you will breeze getting a machine from somebody on here and it will be in good condition. You may even get 2 dependant on what you are prepared to play on.

Last edited:
Thanks will pass that on
Charlie is your friend definitely looking for a DMD? If they’re just looking for any working pin then I’ll be listing an EM soon around the £600 mark. Nice introduction to pin ownership without too much capital down. Realise they aren’t for everybody though!

Hey, friend who isn't on here yet is considering this Terminator 2 machine. Both of us are new to the hobby so wanted to get the forums opinions?

Hello, Charlie,

Re. the T2; seeing those pictures without knowing the listing was suspect, the statement 'everything works' is obviously wrong; looking at the picture showing the display, there's a little dot after the words 'Free Play', showing that there's some problem it would like a technician to look at*. Some games are prone to doing this without any actual fault, but T2 isn't one of these. If you'd gone to see it, pressing the 'Enter'(Accounting/Diagnostics) button inside the coin door would have it announce what the problem is.

And on a cosmetic note, I don't think the non-standard yellow flippers suit T2. The original fitment was white, and not the slightly shorter 'lightning' variant either.

* going by the picture showing 'Recent Earnings £0.00' it may well be 'Time And Date Not Set' due to battery failure, which then brings on concern about pcb damage from leakage

Last edited:

Seems legit, JP2 pro £4995 plus vat.
I personally would avoid a Spike 2 pin that's from an operator. At the moment (and this will change), there aren't too many ways to repair the node boards.

If you go for an older pin, especially Bally/Williams era and the classic Ballys, there are lots of standard/spare parts around - so, if it does break down, it's easy to find replacement parts and someone can give you advice on how to fit them.

The advice I read when I got my first pin was to pick something that had been made in large quantities, but with limited moving parts. I bought a Fish Tales. Super fun to play, huge numbers made, and the only moving part is the reel. Above your budget now, though :(

Other good fun titles include No Fear, Demolition Man, High Speed, Black Knight 2000...

From the For Sale thread:

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/baywatch.58753/ (regarded as an underappreciated classic by many!)
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/mr-mrs-pacman-£1k.58724/ (might be a good choice if you're happy to fix the technical problem. This is quirky, but quite fun if you like Pacman. If you're a Pacman/arcade fan, this is a bargain)
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/riverboat-gambler-£1600.58349/ (not sure whether it's still available, but a solid game).

There used to be a tonne of stuff for sale. Pages, infact, but, as you say, it's all recently sold!

Last edited:
I personally would avoid a Spike 2 pin that's from an operator. At the moment (and this will change), there aren't too many ways to repair the node boards.

If you go for an older pin, especially Bally/Williams era and the classic Ballys, there are lots of standard/spare parts around - so, if it does break down, it's easy to find replacement parts and someone can give you advice on how to fit them.

The advice I read when I got my first pin was to pick something that had been made in large quantities, but with limited moving parts. I bought a Fish Tales. Super fun to play, huge numbers made, and the only moving part is the reel. Above your budget now, though :(

Other good fun titles include No Fear, Demolition Man, High Speed, Black Knight 2000...
Yeh but there fairly cheap and easy to buy at £180 and simple to replace. It's normally the pins on the connector to the spike node that an issue these cost about 19 pence to buy and are easy to replace (with guidance the first time). In general spike 2 are rock solid, older pins can be a pain in the ***. My mates got 3 spike 2 zero problems, now the shadow and twighlight zone there always something wrong with it, and yes they have been rebuilt and have been done to a high standard.

Personally if budget allows go for a spike 2, buying from an operator if it's been in an arcade will 9 x out of 10 have some sort of issue, so best to pick one up in here from a trusted member.

jp2 is a fun game, a pro seems to go £5.8 to £6k on this forum in good nick.

Personally if budget allows go for a spike 2, buying from an operator if it's been in an arcade will 9 x out of 10 have some sort of issue, so best to pick one up in here from a trusted member.
Sorry, I think my point was that - if you're buying from an operator - the pin will probably have a problem and a Spike 2 may not be as easy or cheap to fix as a Bally Williams. You don't want to pay £4995+VAT and then have to fork out for a node board on top! The Spike 2 pins at Funland get dodgy flippers, node boards and (for the Prems) mechs.

I agree that Spike 2s HUO are rock solid :) But I thought they were outside the budget of the OP...

Back
Top Bottom