What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual pin options in the UK

ballsports

Registered
I'm looking to get into pinball after falling in love with the Stern Godzilla 70th anniversary.

I don't think I'm quite ready to drop the money required on one of those, especially having never owned or maintained a pinball machine before.

So I started to research virtual pins, see lots of impressive builds. I'd love to build one but I can't find any premade cabinets of the right size and I'm no woodworker, nor do I have the space to do woodwork.

I've seen prebuilt options (I only know of Pinballia, formerly ArcadeLand) seen mixed reviews on those, the price runs up to 6k pretty quickly if you want 4k/100hz+, mechanical plunger, solenoids and LEDs.

Saw the AtGames Legends AFM (not available in UK currently) but I love the skin on this and am quite tempted by it, 2k for everything above except 60fps. I know the downside here is it runs worse software. But the difference between 2k and 6k is steep and a separate gaming computer fits within that budget. I'm in love with the Xtreme Gaming ones I've seen from Australia but I'm not ready to throw 10k and wait 2 years just yet.

I just want some general advice, I know a lot of you will be inclined to hate on the AtGames but try to understand where I'm coming from. When you're deep in a hobby it's different to someone just coming in.

That being said I do like the idea of VPX more. I'd love to have an AtGames equivalent that ran that at 120hz but without prebuilt cabinetry it's a non starter for me.

I'm in the same boat as you. I would love to have a machine at home but I would have no knowledge if any problems occurred and plus I think I would get bored having just the 1 machine. That's why I am looking towards a virtual pin. I can get all the games I want and only taking up the space of 1 machine. I would say your best bet is to look on facebook marketplace as these do come up and alot cheaper than buying new.

For me, virtual pinball just isnt real pinball - I'd go for a real machine any day - when you have mastered it (if you ever do) or more likely when you get bored of it - trade it to get a different game, rinse...repeat....

For me, virtual pinball just isnt real pinball - I'd go for a real machine any day - when you have mastered it (if you ever do) or more likely when you get bored of it - trade it to get a different game, rinse...repeat....
I live close to the libertygames showroom so I will go there and hopefully get to try some different ones. I can respect this point of view, but I'm not really willing to put in the work for that at the moment. I'm sure I'll buy the Godzilla I want (or maybe Jurassic Park) at some point in the future but for now I just want to try everything, see if I still love it in a couple years before I go any deeper.

I'm thinking the 32inch 4k fully loaded from Pinballia for around 4k might be my best bet, but I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on their stuff. I don't know much about graphics cards but the 4060ti sounds like it should be up to snuff to deliver a lag free experience?

I'd also need to find some good high quality artwork for the sides, not sure if anyone knows the best place to source that? I'd love a Stern Jurassic Park Pro, Star Wars Pro, Star Wars Data East or Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Last edited:
If it's any help modern stern machines are rock solid, it's rare to even lift the playfield on some. If it's home use only and from new almost zero issues. Issues tend to happen if it's been on site or your unlucky.
Your more likely to have issues with a pc build virtual pin than you are with a Godzilla. Pinball heaven and retro arcade supply a two year warranty for piece of mind. Both those companies actually have a real warranty and are great to deal with. Be cautious with some others.

Appreciated a new one is silly money🤭

Modern spike 2 Pinball machines underneath look scary but the reality is the maintenance is pretty simple, if you can deal with building and maintaining a virtual pin with a little guidance a real pin that is modern spike 2 won't be a problem, now an older on, 90's etc will be a pain in the ### at some point 🤘

Good luck

If it's any help modern stern machines are rock solid, it's rare to even lift the playfield on some. If it's home use only and from new almost zero issues. Issues tend to happen if it's been on site or your unlucky.
Your more likely to have issues with a pc build virtual pin than you are with a Godzilla. Pinball heaven and retro arcade supply a two year warranty for piece of mind. Both those companies actually have a real warranty and are great to deal with. Be cautious with some others.

Appreciated a new one is silly money🤭

Modern spike 2 Pinball machines underneath look scary but the reality is the maintenance is pretty simple, if you can deal with building and maintaining a virtual pin with a little guidance a real pin that is modern spike 2 won't be a problem, now an older on, 90's etc will be a pain in the ### at some point 🤘

Good luck
Just seen the Looney Tunes pinball at pinball heaven and it is beautiful. More than I want to spend right now. Really wish I hadn't seen it.

Back
Top Bottom