What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2024 - August 16th, 17th & 18th

Can't be right unfortunately. Even if every game was 3 minutes long and it was played literally back to back and non-stop, that would be over four days of play
It did seem a bit much! I didn't do the maths but I did leave it switched on when I left after setup on Thursday, maybe it got hammered? hehe

Nah, I probably can't rely on that memory being 100% correct as it was a battery leak damaged CPU board when I acquired it and fixed / factory reset it over a year ago. I just assumed the count was legit as it had never been on freeplay before pinfest.

Still, it had a good play, I could barely get on it!

Just to echo all of the congratulations already posted above.

In addition two things of note. Th number of people saying it was their first Pinfest, where have you been for the last 3 years? Anyone who still hasn't made the trip must surely be booking it in their diary for next year.

I was nowhere near involved as previous years, and he one thing I noticed was just how much you miss when you are running around sorting tournaments, fixing machines or generally making the show run smoothly so even more gratitude must go to everyone who runs the show in whatever small way at all.

Ah right. I was there until 15:22:06. F**k. ☹️
i called them a day after as i only saw the "free until 2pm" after I left.... (and that's a slightly dodge caveat) and they said "IF I got a fine they would cancell it if I rang back " as "they dont enforce Parking eye fines. So, anyhow.. give them a call...

i called them a day after as i only saw the "free until 2pm" after I left.... (and that's a slightly dodge caveat) and they said "IF I got a fine they would cancell it if I rang back " as "they dont enforce Parking eye fines. So, anyhow.. give them a call...
I guess that was for people arriving on Sunday?

dunno, i was there for sat and sunday (but not staying on site)... that'sn what they told me.. they infurred it was for people ARRIVING after 2pm it was a problem..

Yes, my understanding was that it was only an issue if you arrived after 2pm - as all the cars/vans in the carpark for the whole weekend were okay.

Happens every year mate, usually just the daft lads though.

Pretty sure the hotel has always canceled them in the past for event attendees.

Glad to see someone else got one of these fines in the post today I did wonder - will take the advice and ring up in the morning in the hope that the hotel can cancel - pretty annoying they have been issued if I’m honest

In addition two things of note. Th number of people saying it was their first Pinfest, where have you been for the last 3 years? Anyone who still hasn't made the trip must surely be booking it in their diary for next year.

Hasn’t this event been held since 2018?

Anyway I did intend to visit last year unfortunately I wasn’t able to make it, though as someone who relies on public transport, i require three different types of transportation to get to the location (Plane, Train & Bus) and I don’t have “can buy my own pinball machine” money to burn like many here.

This is also a “new” hobby in the sense I’m actively invested in getting more familiar with the hobby as a whole, though I’ve always enjoyed playing pinball machines in a more casual manner.

There’s also the factor the landscape of arcade gaming enjoying a resurgence of interest caused by more adults belonging to the generations that grew up around that time and now retrospectively looking to recreate those memories.

This event is still growing in awareness, there’s many I’ve spoken to who had no idea that such a thing even existed or what modern pinballs looked like this is a great thing, it means events like UK Pinfest has a long lifespan.

Fantastic show. Just about recovered. Tournament going downstairs would create more space and avoid those "why can't I play THOSE machines" complaints.

Keep the Saturday VIP session tournament free as it the traditional chill out time

Thanks for the Marauders for all their help and support as my own physical limitation continue

Special thanks to the NLP guys for solving a tricky switch fault on Torpedo Alley. I really wanted to crank her up on the Satuday evening but it was much busier than usual!

best range of machines ever seen in the UK - did anyone do a final games tally as must have been close to the UK record of 172 (which included a LOT of duplicates to be fair)

Originally the conventions run by pinball owners association
Then 2 shown in Margate Run by Sean?
Then UK Pinball Show run by Pins Anon
Then UK Pinball Party run by Heighway
Now PinFest run by Phil.

I was compiling a history of UK events but I'm not certain where all the pinball owners shows were before 1986 . I believe the first get together was a London Christmas house party in 1978. Apart from Pinball 89 which was a commercial event , the number of games at POA shows hovvered around 40 with Bob Thomson often bringing 15 by himself.
Looking into national shows 1986 to 2019 , Getaway seems to be the most shown game. Though everyones favourite Vector was up there!

Originally the conventions run by pinball owners association
Then 2 shown in Margate Run by Sean?
Then UK Pinball Show run by Pins Anon
Then UK Pinball Party run by Heighway
Now PinFest run by Phil.

2004 Margate was my first show. @Big Phil ’s shows are well organised, slick affairs, hats off to him but I do miss the back of the fag packet shows “organised” by Nick Bennett.
Especially the Kettering, security guard arguing with a rat, and Northampton where missing money and transexuals were the main talking points.
Villa shows were a bit slicker, Mark Squires bringing Nokia sponsorship certainly helped.
Only one I’ve missed was the Heighway one, but that really doesn’t count.
Enjoyed every one, even this year’s, where I was in absolute agony as my arthritis was giving me gip and to cap it off got £60 parking fine at that little shopping centre when I nipped into the Tesco for some skins,
Alan.

Same event. Different name.
I really beg to differ.

From what I understand, previous events have been run very differently and I’ve had to rebuild relationships with the Daventry hotel because of this.

You may not be privy to what’s gone on in the past so I’ll reserve judgement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom