What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL LICENSED 'moans about pricing' thread

Compared to a few years ago, rotating pins is now more expensive. Just like second hand cars, if you lose money every time you buy, you will change car less.

Some great pins on the market, but unless you have room to capitalise and keep a collection growing, you will be running at more of a loss than a few years ago.

It's back to the norm, and basic economics.

I for one have found other things to fill the space that please the whole family (not just me). Jukeboxes. Cost less and I'm not allowed to rotate. 😂

There’s an ever growing gap between NIB prices and the price people are willing to pay for a second hand game.

Just because the original owner coughed up say 9k on a pro doesn’t mean other people value it at more than 6. There’s lot of games now that are sitting unsold even at reasonable prices.

I’d be very nervous about buying any new games now. Turns out a “keeper” might just have to be that.

I suspect Godzilla owners are going to have to take a big hit on sales prices.

I listened to the pinball show podcast and something that keeps the US market moving is trade ins. If Zach has a bunch of Venom prems sitting in stock that per his agreement he’s not allowed to sell under let’s say $9500, there’s nothing stopping him offering $3000 for a trade in that he knows is only worth $2000, pretty much discounting the nib $1000 without getting in trouble. It keeps the market moving, gets the new games in peoples homes where more people get to play them and maybe decide they want one and frees up space and money at the distro for the next title.

It’s not a great option here because distros have to add vat to whatever they buy as a trade in and PH are really the only distro with any significant stock anyway and how much of that is sitting not selling, not a lot I don’t think. They don’t need to free up space and money and other companies here don’t either because they don’t keep much, if anything in stock.

Stuff is still selling if the price is low enough. Some people are out of space but other people will find more space and new people are always entering/ re-entering the hobby, even if not at the same rate as a few years ago.

I think there’s people who are willing to take the hit on a nib because they just see it as the cost of a hobby and then people who are not willing or can’t afford to take a hit on anything, new or used. A couple of machines I’ve sold, after they are pending I’ve almost immediately had someone contact me that if the deal falls through to let them know. People want a machine for sale but are unsure if it will sell for the same amount so don’t buy it, then it sells and that was the confirmation they needed. Or they just get non-buyers remorse 😂

Also some people are happy to make offers and some people either don’t think to or are worried they might offend. The Jaws that sold for 7050, there were more people who would have had it for that, so make an offer, you never know. As long as you are serious and will buy it if accepted and are also not offended if the seller then negotiates or says no, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with making an offer. I never mind getting an offer on something I'm selling as long as the person is serious, I can always say no thanks or try and agree a price somewhere in the middle. Do other people feel differently? Do offers annoy/ offend?

I listened to the pinball show podcast and something that keeps the US market moving is trade ins. If Zach has a bunch of Venom prems sitting in stock that per his agreement he’s not allowed to sell under let’s say $9500, there’s nothing stopping him offering $3000 for a trade in that he knows is only worth $2000, pretty much discounting the nib $1000 without getting in trouble. It keeps the market moving, gets the new games in peoples homes where more people get to play them and maybe decide they want one and frees up space and money at the distro for the next title.

It’s not a great option here because distros have to add vat to whatever they buy as a trade in and PH are really the only distro with any significant stock anyway and how much of that is sitting not selling, not a lot I don’t think. They don’t need to free up space and money and other companies here don’t either because they don’t keep much, if anything in stock.

Stuff is still selling if the price is low enough. Some people are out of space but other people will find more space and new people are always entering/ re-entering the hobby, even if not at the same rate as a few years ago.

I think there’s people who are willing to take the hit on a nib because they just see it as the cost of a hobby and then people who are not willing or can’t afford to take a hit on anything, new or used. A couple of machines I’ve sold, after they are pending I’ve almost immediately had someone contact me that if the deal falls through to let them know. People want a machine for sale but are unsure if it will sell for the same amount so don’t buy it, then it sells and that was the confirmation they needed. Or they just get non-buyers remorse 😂

Also some people are happy to make offers and some people either don’t think to or are worried they might offend. The Jaws that sold for 7050, there were more people who would have had it for that, so make an offer, you never know. As long as you are serious and will buy it if accepted and are also not offended if the seller then negotiates or says no, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with making an offer. I never mind getting an offer on something I'm selling as long as the person is serious, I can always say no thanks or try and agree a price somewhere in the middle. Do other people feel differently? Do offers annoy/ offend?
Great write up
One thing I think is people mainly new people to the hobby over the last few years have the perception that you don’t really lose money on pinball s maybe over covid time yes but things are back to normal
When I started out in pinball I had absolutely no intention of making money if I could buy a pin clean it up play and enjoy it for 6 months to a year if I made a loss then I have had the enjoyment of owning it and playing it
You can no longer buy a nib pin and used in some cases and expect to get your money back as is same with most purchases
It’s pretty much back to normal on a nib pin loss now the biggest difference is the rrp
Pre covid
Pro £6495 now £8495
Premium £8495 now £11495
Le £9995 now £16000
If you work out percentage the loss on a used nib is probably same as before covid
Another thing that people who have been in the game for many years is the market has been amazing for you with taf being £1000 back in the day t2 £500 many people have made some very good money over the year but now times have changed are moaning like mad
I think lowering the rrp would be easy to do but I other ways difficult if you suddenly drop the price by 2k say on a jaws this is just an example then you would upset distributor s who have it in stock and people who payed the full rrp in the first place
Nib are over priced and we have seen that recently with poor sales even when jaws was reduced it wasn’t flying out of the door
Some ap pins being reduced by nearly half and are not selling things will have to change
I still think if a used pin is priced right it will sell my gz sold in 2 mins at £8500 it was like back in the old days inbox going mad my tron le not so much but you have to take the rough with the smooth I will be listening my scooby doo ce soon and I know I will take a kicking on that but that’s just how things go
I never seem to get many offers on the pins I sell that’s maybe because they are priced correctly but I don’t think there is any harm in putting an offer in sold Beatles to Neil recently he put an offer in I accept and jobs done same with the stranger things le
You do from time to time get some **** take offers but I tend not to reply to them

Offers are fine. What is really taking the **** is if someone makes an offer then comes to collect and then starts to haggle. I’ve only had it once but it totally frustrated me. Unsurprisingly they also wanted to pay in cash as they thought that gave them an edge. It doesn’t as all it means is I’ve then got to take time out of my day to go to a bank (which are never open outside of my work hours 🤬)

How does the £2350 Wh20 on eBay fit into the new price narrative?

So where would you get the best price for your pinball nowadays?
Williams amusements and such dealers?
Here ( depending on title)?
I’m actually glad I’ve no plans to sell anytime soon.

Re Whitewater. No topper takes off a grand then factor condition, a tidy one with correct topper will still be £4k

The forum is still a great place to sell desirable games . Those where theme outweighs substance eBay is the place to go and always has been. About to list a Flintstones. Experience tells you it's a title that will only bring tumbleweed here . But less so than Vector !

How does the £2350 Wh20 on eBay fit into the new price narrative?

So where would you get the best price for your pinball nowadays?
Williams amusements and such dealers?
Here ( depending on title)?
I’m actually glad I’ve no plans to sell anytime soon.
I bailed at 2300. It needs a new playfield doesn't have a topper and needs a lot of work. By the time I've done all that I may as well just buy another White water and save my time/hassle :D

That’s where there’s a massive price disparagy I think. A rough Wh20 at £2-3k Vs a nice one at £4-5k but way more than £2k of work to get the former to the latter.
I’ve found this in parts alone with my MM conversion. Add in labour and it’s insane.

Last edited:
Looking back on my previous metric for the state-of-the-market: "whether the overall backlog of adverts for sale on here is increasing or decreasing", the figures are:

• June '23 was 4 full pages of adverts long.
  • March '24 6 pages
  • May '24 6.5 pages.
  • Sept '24, today, it's just into it's 8th page.

So whilst mid-summer has never been a brilliant time to sell on here, the market still appears to still be in decline, and perhaps getting worse (caveat: this last point is very hard to judge over this relatively short time frame and data-set).

As an aside, that for-sale section probably needs house-keeping/pruning @Paul - some of the adverts go back to 2022.

Offers are fine. What is really taking the **** is if someone makes an offer then comes to collect and then starts to haggle. I’ve only had it once but it totally frustrated me. Unsurprisingly they also wanted to pay in cash as they thought that gave them an edge. It doesn’t as all it means is I’ve then got to take time out of my day to go to a bank (which are never open outside of my work hours 🤬)

Same, only had it once with someone here who I won't name and it was many years ago when I think the 'haggle' consisted of £40 less than I wanted so it wasn't a great loss but I found it extremely rude. We had agreed a price and I basically got told 'I'm not giving you what we agreed, and if you don't take it I'm walking away.' It's a crappy tactic but you've basically got the seller over a barrel unless they back out there and then. Wouldn't ever agree to it again, I'd tell them to get lost nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom