What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the market unusually sleepy?

Also, the infamous El Pinbotto:

I don’t class that as a 90s DMD game, it’s alphanumeric.

As a newbie I love these threads. I find it wild how people are confused that someone isn't chomping at the pit to throw 7k or more at a pinball machine in a generational financial crisis. Lots of for sale listings of people beside themselves with confusion and what almost appears anger on why people are not lining up to pay 12k for their Medieval Madness or 9k for a ropey Addams Family. Have you been outside? I was desperate to find a way into this hobby for what I could afford (under 2k) and happened to luck upon a working 'Class of 81' Bally in that range. Don't get me wrong I would love a Jaws but come on, the prices are insane.

I think people get lost in this Pinball world and forget how things are right now. If you started collecting a while back 90s/early 00s you probably have some good pinball equity. You can trade and sell and make 5/6 times what you paid back then and get what you want. But to most coming into the hobby now it must be one and done. I would love a row of pins but it is never happening. Maybe if I am lucky I will get 2.

To my knowledge Stern mainly sells to the US market at a price much lower to our own. America is also the size of Europe. So I don't think they really care about the slowdown of the UK market. It must make up a fraction of their sales.

I do think pinball over here is struggling in terms of sales, as I see so many on this site, I also don't see it improving. It's a great time to be a buyer for sure. Also if you are selling a pin with a bad reputation then It is especially bad times.

As a newbie I love these threads. I find it wild how people are confused that someone isn't chomping at the pit to throw 7k or more at a pinball machine in a generational financial crisis. Lots of for sale listings of people beside themselves with confusion and what almost appears anger on why people are not lining up to pay 12k for their Medieval Madness or 9k for a ropey Addams Family. Have you been outside? I was desperate to find a way into this hobby for what I could afford (under 2k) and happened to luck upon a working 'Class of 81' Bally in that range. Don't get me wrong I would love a Jaws but come on, the prices are insane.

I think people get lost in this Pinball world and forget how things are right now. If you started collecting a while back 90s/early 00s you probably have some good pinball equity. You can trade and sell and make 5/6 times what you paid back then and get what you want. But to most coming into the hobby now it must be one and done. I would love a row of pins but it is never happening. Maybe if I am lucky I will get 2.

To my knowledge Stern mainly sells to the US market at a price much lower to our own. America is also the size of Europe. So I don't think they really care about the slowdown of the UK market. It must make up a fraction of their sales.

I do think pinball over here is struggling in terms of sales, as I see so many on this site, I also don't see it improving. It's a great time to be a buyer for sure. Also if you are selling a pin with a bad reputation then It is especially bad times.

You make some good points, but the wealth range of people on here is vast, so what some people consider a feasible spend, is pocket money to other people. But that is wealth, I think the other thing to consider is value.

Would a multi- millionaire pay £10 for a Mars bar just because they are wealthy and can afford one, no, as that is bad value. And I think that is it on here now, the machines appear to be bad value to almost everyone.

I have also noticed the quality of some of the for sale posts are really poor. £12k for a game and they stick up 3 pictures…..

You’re not wrong- all the comments or DM interest I’ve had in my game is from others who’ve already played / appreciate it.
I want it for different reason, but can't do it at the moment, even though it's a buyers market I can't spend jack atm either.

Never played it but I used to sink a lot of hours into poker and pot limit omaha, I got bored of Texas a long time ago, so is does suit me in that respect but I want it because it's one of the cheapest sterns you'll find and I only really need it for a reference game.

Genuinely puzzled @dave- what’s a reference game? Are you needing it for a build you’re doing or something?
Yeah adjusted a game to match a standard stern because some parts seemed easier to hold of for stern.

One example I wanted to get an idea how deep some games were at the back of the playfield. Just getting a rough size was bit of a pain, something like that with a tape measure would be much easier, but mainly for cabinet.

Ah sounds interesting Dave- good luck with your project 👍🏻

On another note, responding to some earlier posts- in terms of the market I think there’s always more limited demand for entry level Stern games and your better titles / themes are going to get snapped up quick if they’re priced right (BTDK springs to mind at £3k not long ago) so I don’t think the market is that bad and it’s similar to what I remember seeing in 2019 when I was lurking before pinflation distorted the market prices. I wouldn’t say the games currently for sale have a bad reputation and I don’t equate a lower pinside rating with a game necessarily being poor - unless we’re looking right at the bottom end (Bugs Bunny and the Home pin titles- less said the better). I think some games like mine get overlooked by nostalgia hunters entering the hobby who want a Fish Tales or remember playing something based on a 90’s movie. I get that and it’s exciting having something you remember or a theme that draw you in. Like @Antray84 - I’m just thankful that I can afford a game and Stern made a god awful backglass for WPT so I didn’t pay big £. (I personally think Stern should reskin its layout with Pokémon or another popular card game and it would be well received).

Cheers, need it! That is another option to put proc in it and yes that game is probably worth a retheme. At that price is cheaper than from scratch, by miles really and time.

Back
Top Bottom