What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the market unusually sleepy?

As someone has recently listed a machine at nearly 200% of its NIB price, I have to point out that the "market is not dead" in in the US, where people seem to be pricing Sterns at far more sensible prices.

Is the market unusually sleepy? From my perspective just way overpriced. I'm looking to buy my third pinball having not had one for a few years. It's taken me months to get over the shock of how much machines are going for. Or not as the case might be. I bought my first pinball in the early 90s for £70. (yes, seventy quid) It was a Pinbot and although some of the plastics were a bit damaged it worked fine. My second was Tommy about 2008 and that was all working good for about £700 off ebay . I sold that three years later having replaced a few damaged bits before moving house for £800 to a guy from the Glasgow area and I watched in amazement as he and his mate just picked the table up as if it was light as a feather and walked it out to their wagon as cool as you like still with the legs on. So with that background you might understand the total disbelief at current asking prices. I can't be the only one who would like to get a machine but thinks they are totally off the scale. When used prices come down to what I think is a reasonable level then I will buy again and the market does need buyers at the lower end for those who like newer machines to unload their older ones. I see Tommy being marketed for £8-9000 refurbed totally bonkers (IMO). Me, I'm looking for something from the 90's or early 20's but waiting till it matches my budget which is about £1800 max. Until then, it's days out at Funland on Hayling Island.

It feels like there are fewer and fewer WMS games being offered up. Presumably people are keeping hold of them.

On the flip side there’s no shortage of modern games so inevitably prices are going down.

The JP pro is a good example. A while back that would have been snapped up. I personally think it’s priced about right but clearly isn’t selling.

Is the market unusually sleepy? From my perspective just way overpriced. I'm looking to buy my third pinball having not had one for a few years. It's taken me months to get over the shock of how much machines are going for. Or not as the case might be. I bought my first pinball in the early 90s for £70. (yes, seventy quid) It was a Pinbot and although some of the plastics were a bit damaged it worked fine. My second was Tommy about 2008 and that was all working good for about £700 off ebay . I sold that three years later having replaced a few damaged bits before moving house for £800 to a guy from the Glasgow area and I watched in amazement as he and his mate just picked the table up as if it was light as a feather and walked it out to their wagon as cool as you like still with the legs on. So with that background you might understand the total disbelief at current asking prices. I can't be the only one who would like to get a machine but thinks they are totally off the scale. When used prices come down to what I think is a reasonable level then I will buy again and the market does need buyers at the lower end for those who like newer machines to unload their older ones. I see Tommy being marketed for £8-9000 refurbed totally bonkers (IMO). Me, I'm looking for something from the 90's or early 20's but waiting till it matches my budget which is about £1800 max. Until then, it's days out at Funland on Hayling Island.
You might luck into a pretty rough example of a fairly undesirable 90s machine for £1,800, but otherwise you might be waiting a while

It’s properly dead right now, got my Shaq Attaq up for £2500 which I think is fair for a ok 90s game? It’s n here, fb market place & eBay and no interest at all!! Not even the scammers or tire kickers are messaging lolol

Better off just tomb stoning until the economy recovers or not so many nibs available.

I think the best model right now is rentals, get a machine for a fixed duration with no worries of shifting it when you want a new game etc.. I really think the rental market would do well at the moment. Once Shaq Attaq goes I ain’t buying nothing else, will just rent on short durations.

I always fancied a Shaq attack. Love 90’s NBA stuff. It was always one of those Gotts that was broken for spares back in the day. I remember them being hundreds of pounds. I see it as a £1500-£1700 game nowadays. Not ****ting on your price Russ. Just my opinion.
If you compare what £2500 gets you. A Bally Corvette sold for that last week.
It’s all relevant as long as people start following suite. Buy your next game for the same price and it doesn’t matter if it sells for a tenner

I always fancied a Shaq attack. Love 90’s NBA stuff. It was always one of those Gotts that was broken for spares back in the day. I remember them being hundreds of pounds. I see it as a £1500-£1700 game nowadays. Not ****ting on your price Russ. Just my opinion.
It’s all relevant as long as people start following suite. Buy your next game for the same price and it doesn’t matter if it sells for a tenner
Wish I had paid £1500 for it :(
No more buying in this market, rentals for now onwards :)

Last edited:
My concern is that half the market is still smoking crack what they’re asking for- I’m trying to sell my game currently and hope my pricing isn’t too high- the market will decide! But ultimately I’m not interested in trying to profit from selling my games and I’m sure most folk on here just don’t want to sell their game only to struggle to find a replacement pin, as many people are trying to recoup the 2022 price they paid.

This is fascinating for me to read as I’m still only a few months old on this site and only a couple of months into owning my 1st pin, a STTNG which I bought off a site member.

I’m definitely not that clued up on what’s a good price for a game but would check out Pinside prices and do a rough 1:1 conversion. I may message a few people on here and ask their opinion but ultimately as long as I’m not being completely ripped off (I.e. Gamesroomcompany prices), then I’m more inclined to buy off of here because I’m a lot more likely to get a machine that’s going to cause me less issues and plays well.

It seems to me that machines were selling quicker just a few months ago on here but maybe that was my imagination. There have been a lot of machines posted recently that just haven’t interested me. Game rankings aren’t everything but a lot of the recent sale ads are for games that sit pretty low in the Pinside charts and unless you have a real desire for a specific game then it’s a hard ask to get me to pay a few £000 for a machine that sits outside the top 50 in the Pinside rankings.

As someone has recently listed a machine at nearly 200% of its NIB price, I have to point out that the "market is not dead" in in the US, where people seem to be pricing Sterns at far more sensible prices.
What game was that, Luke?

I remember the fella on here a couple months back who got the hump when everyone told him his Rick & Morty was not gonna sell for more than he paid for it. It was sad to read tbh as why would *anyone* expect to get MORE than they paid, for anything. Except perhaps property, on a finite sized planet with a growing population where everyone wants to live in the urban centres. I think property is the safest use of funds. That and 90s Bally Williams pinball machines.

This is a Mario Andretti. Never played or even seen one.

gif pinball Mario Andretti getting pushed off a roof by TNT.gif

Try £1500 on this

Or £1800 on this

This is fascinating for me to read as I’m still only a few months old on this site and only a couple of months into owning my 1st pin, a STTNG which I bought off a site member.

I’m definitely not that clued up on what’s a good price for a game but would check out Pinside prices and do a rough 1:1 conversion. I may message a few people on here and ask their opinion but ultimately as long as I’m not being completely ripped off (I.e. Gamesroomcompany prices), then I’m more inclined to buy off of here because I’m a lot more likely to get a machine that’s going to cause me less issues and plays well.

It seems to me that machines were selling quicker just a few months ago on here but maybe that was my imagination. There have been a lot of machines posted recently that just haven’t interested me. Game rankings aren’t everything but a lot of the recent sale ads are for games that sit pretty low in the Pinside charts and unless you have a real desire for a specific game then it’s a hard ask to get me to pay a few £000 for a machine that sits outside the top 50 in the Pinside rankings.
You’re not wrong- all the comments or DM interest I’ve had in my game is from others who’ve already played / appreciate it. Before buying, I remember scouring pinside and found consensus opinions useful for buyers entering the hobby. Problem was, I think it gave me preconceived expectations about how these games would play (good and bad). In reality- some games disappoint and others surprise you. I’m sure everyone who’s played many games ends up liking titles others think are meh (mine are Avatar, Gilligans, Venom, pretty much all AP’s titles).

I think the best thing any potential 1st time buyer can do is play as many different games as possible. You can then place a value on what you are willing to spend and how much you want it.

Yeah. Not s****g on your price, @russdx1, but Shaq Attack is rated below Alien Poker - and I didn't pay anywhere close to £2,500 for mine, even at the peak of the market! :(

You're competing with kick-ass 80s pins like Firepower and Blackout, which are listed at cheaper prices.

I don't mean Shaq Attack is a bad pin, necessarily, but with such a low rating, anyone who hasn't played one yet (like me) would have a pause before making an offer at current price. If you really enjoy playing it and don't want to discount, I would hang onto it, personally :) There are some pins that no one ever appreciates as much as you!

Personally, if you're keen to sell, I'd reduce to £1,800 (not £900! It's gotta to be better than a bad EM!!!) and see what happens :)

[QUOTE="russdx1, post: 577834, member: 3510]

Better off just tomb stoning until the economy recovers or not so many nibs available.
[/QUOTE]

You could be waiting ages. NIBs are not slowing down (just look at Stern, two games in two months!). Are you selling the Shaq for a similar price you paid for it? I don’t think your price is bad, but if it was similar a couple of years ago, then that’s probably the issue. I had the same with The Mandalorian, but I had to sell, so kept dropping the price. If you want to sell, it will find its level, but if you have to get your money back, you might have an issue.

Each to their own, but the last thing I want to do in this hobby is start tombstoning and hoarding games.

Last edited:
With me my next pin is gonna be mm so im waiting for them to re release that which will be fully loaded and 3k cheaper to what the last ones that were on here with no topper and no xl screen

A bit optimistic if you think they’re going to be 7.5k!

I have to point out that the "market is not dead" in in the US, where people seem to be pricing Sterns at far more sensible prices.
In the US NIB prices are far more sensible than here in the UK.

A Stern Pro is $6999 which is £5359, plus whatever taxes they have to pay (<10%?). A Stern Pro here is £8000.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="russdx1, post: 577834, member: 3510]

You could be waiting ages. NIBs are not slowing down (just look at Stern, two games in two months!). Are you selling the Shaq for a similar price you paid for it? I don’t think your price is bad, but if it was similar a couple of years ago, then that’s probably the issue. I had the same with The Mandalorian, but I had to sell, so kept dropping the price. If you want to sell, it will find its level, but if you have to get your money back, you might an issue.

Each to their own, but the last thing I want to do in this hobby is start tombstoning and hoarding games.
[/QUOTE]

I paid £2800 on here like 5 months ago and spent first week fixing it as it was broken!!! Looks like it’s worth nothing like that! Maybe have to try at 2k. I don’t need to get my money back but losing a third of the price in 5 months is a little steep. But then again if it was never worth that…. Lesson learned lolol

It is a fun game though why is the rating so low?

You could be waiting ages. NIBs are not slowing down (just look at Stern, two games in two months!). Are you selling the Shaq for a similar price you paid for it? I don’t think your price is bad, but if it was similar a couple of years ago, then that’s probably the issue. I had the same with The Mandalorian, but I had to sell, so kept dropping the price. If you want to sell, it will find its level, but if you have to get your money back, you might an issue.

I paid £2800 on here like 5 months ago and spent first week fixing it as it was broken!!! Looks like it’s worth nothing like that! Maybe have to try at 2k. I don’t need to get my money back but losing a third of the price in 5 months is a little steep. But then again if it was never worth that…. Lesson learned lolol

It is a fun game though why is the rating so low?
[/QUOTE]

Did he have a balaclava and gun when you bought that! 👮‍♀️

(I am only pulling your leg mate)

I am like you, I don’t think I will be buying much, unless a nice NASCAR come up, although something would have to go.

It’s hard to know what stuff is worth this year with the market being so funny plus has never been up for sale before. But lesson definitely learned lol. I won’t be buying anything for a while and will go down the rental route instead. I swap games so quickly I think the rental market is better suited for me. Was just lucky with the market being n recent years when you could buy and sell more mostly for the same price (I always dropped it and never made a profit)

Back
Top Bottom