What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date Start date
My logic is that if I’m putting a medium/large charge to the car (100KWh battery) with my rates at 02.00-05.00 at 13.94p/KWh and day rate at 23.23p/KWh, I would have it charging (7.5KWh charger) from the storage batteries (41Kw), starting prior to the 02.00 cheap rate, then between 02.00-05.00 charge the car and the batteries on cheap rate, any further car charging if needed from the batteries after 05.00 from the cheap rate stored electricity.

I have a very good warranty on my batteries, inverters and panels (double all the standard warranty duration due to the system being installed by one of the manufacturers ‘master installers’, a grand title 😂) I’ve no concerns on using them as intended, the warranty will take me comfortably into retirement when my annual mileage should tumble.

Chris.
gotcha.

would the intelligent tariff not be more suited? 11.30-5.30 @ 7p kWh ? charge you batteries and car off peak? works very well in the winter when the panels don't. You could have the charger data connected to the inverter and utilise the intelligent system also for car charging at 7p during the day
Warranty is 5 years so you have 10? I guess your batteries are 4kw approx each around £1400 a pop?

June '24: £17.68 credit.

--->>> Electric Import: £29.76 (it's really high because we charged the car battery up 6 times in June) + £19.61 standing charges
--->>> Gas import: £16.66 + £8.85 standing charges
vs
<<<--- Electric Export: £92.56 (617kWh @15p/kWh)

Octopus Intelligent Go tariff, 2x 64kWh EVs,13.5kWh AC-coupled Tesla battery, 7.47kWp solar, 6kW solar inverter, 6kW solar export limitation - no battery export allowed because Northern Power Grid are knob heads.

This YouTube video made me laugh.

My bro bought a new Tesla then traded it in for the bigger one with the rear gull wing type doors. Sends me pics of the car cooling the interior down before he gets in it ffs😂
I think he loves it but he can afford to spunk money and he has no solar panels etc.

Edit: Forgot he owns a solar farm in Turkey, needs a long cable😂

Octopus sent me an email to let me know that today from 13.00-14.00 any electricity used over and above my normal usage at that time will be free, between those times we’re always running from battery storage so our usage would typically be zero, so thought it best to charge the car and the storage batteries…

IMG_0557.webp

Only for the hour, but nice for nothing, especially on a grey raining day.

Chris.

Reactions: JT.
Octopus sent me an email to let me know that today from 13.00-14.00 any electricity used over and above my normal usage at that time will be free, between those times we’re always running from battery storage so our usage would typically be zero, so thought it best to charge the car and the storage batteries…

View attachment 258836

Only for the hour, but nice for nothing, especially on a grey raining day.

Chris.
I got that email too, bit of an odd promotion and I didn't really have any use to burn up some free electricity. If it was winter I would have gone mental with the electric heaters.

I used that too. Made some bread, put the washing machine and dishwasher on, charged all devices and batteries and plugged the car in.

I’ve paid them the best part of £2k this year so wanted to claw back a bit!

No solar panels but a good deal from Octopus on a tracker rate - had the free hour and today was 18.01 p/kWh….

Attachments

• IMG_1368.webp
    IMG_1368.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
Ok. So i had Solar / Battery system fitted last August and finally been able to compare usage
My consumption has increased due to 40kw electric car bought Autumn last year and increased battery capacity by 12kw 2 months ago.
Also some other appliances that I am running more constantly due to the benefit of solar so my overall usage this example month is more than the meter readings show compared to last year where everything used was direct from the grid

real rough calc gives me full payback of solar install in approx 6 years

Comparison is
16/6-15/7 2023 781kw/h £262
16/6-15/7 2024 973kw/h £91

Rough take off for July below is 1550kw/h so even half that additional solar use is 250kw/h for July period that is totally free

Attachments

• IMG_8937.webp
    IMG_8937.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Looking at adding battery storage to my solar system getting installed and wondered what peoples thoughts are and what systems they have. Battery prices seem to range wildly but looked at this link below.

Dave.

Looking at adding battery storage to my solar system getting installed and wondered what peoples thoughts are and what systems they have. Battery prices seem to range wildly but looked at this link below.

Dave.
Are you currently exporting much?
How many kWh do your panels produce in the winter?
It’s a calculation as to how much you spend vs how much you’ll save.
Any decent company will take your usage into account, it’s very easy to spend more on kit than you’ll get back, you ROI has to make sense or it’s not worth it.

Are you currently exporting much?
How many kWh do your panels produce in the winter?
It’s a calculation as to how much you spend vs how much you’ll save.
Any decent company will take your usage into account, it’s very easy to spend more on kit than you’ll get back, you ROI has to make sense or it’s not worth it.
I can’t export as I can’t have a smart meter but my usage is high with a 17kw Air Source heat pump and a hot tub so saving anything is better than nothing. I will be having 10 panels installed at no cost to me under a home upgrade the council are doing. But the 30kw battery I linked is cheap compared to others so was after people’s thoughts.

In order to gain from this, you will at least need a dual tariff to feed into your batteries at night. As 10 panels won’t hardly touch your battery levels especially over winter.

I have 16 panels. 10kwh batteries. No EV. I really can’t be ****d with the trading apps so do not have dual tariff. In winter I 60% charge my batteries then switch them off then just use the panels to supplement the load for any days where we do have some sunshine it also means I’m not thrasing the **** out of my batteries, the more you use them the more chemical wear and tear they suffer and the less capacity they will ultimately hold. If I didn’t switch off the batteries over winter. Every three or four weeks I would have to balance them from the mains electrical supply which is obviously counterintuitive. If i had an EV things would be different.

Dave.
With no smart meter and 10 panels you’ll barely get any benefit from the battery, so I probably wouldn’t in your shoes.

I’ve got 28 panels (12kWp), 18.6kWh of batteries (FoxESS) and just had a 7kW Vaillant heat pump installed. I’m export limited so over the summer I can discharge the battery slowly at night and then use the headroom to soak up more of the excess solar which would otherwise be lost to throttling. In the winter I’ll be using time-of-use tariffs to charge the battery cheaply at least once a day, so I should never have to buy peak price electric - but that option won’t be available to you if you can’t get a smart meter.

Back
Top Bottom