What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch Pinball Exclusive

How do people feel about supporting a designer who took loads of customers money and didnt build the machines? 👀

You can't expect people to remember that far back and still be boycotting? Don't forget snakes, it's not hard, there's many but not that many.

BBC, Jimmy Saville, Hugh Edwards. Same argument.

If you buy a tv licence you are supporting them

they really should just let people play the damn thing , i hope this happens freely at pinball expo.. and i cant wait to see how well all the mechanics work..
Okay. With my cynical hat on, I've played Magic Girl and can see features of that in this pin. Magic Girl is 'okay'.

Unlike Magic Girl, Alice has a massive magnet-driven playfield, which is a fun feature on TZ, but only because it's much smaller and on an otherwise packed pin.

They've sold 300 (I think) without showing gameplay, so - if the gameplay is mediocre - they're not going to rush to show it if they can sell those 200 pins.

I know this is super-cynical of me, but that's what I would do if I had the assets of a mediocre JPOP pin and was releasing it, largely unaltered from the original design.

They've sold 300 (I think) without showing gameplay, so - if the gameplay is mediocre - they're not going to rush to show it if they can sell those 200 pins.

They showed gameplay on the stream last night.

Skip ahead to around 56 mins for gameplay. It’s very amateurish - they spend far too long switching between the overhead camera and a handheld camera - but from around 1h7m stick to the overhead camera.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look great. The ball doesn’t spend too much time on the upper playfield which is what I was originally concerned about… but the main playfield doesn’t look like it shoots well either.

They showed gameplay on the stream last night.

Skip ahead to around 56 mins for gameplay. It’s very amateurish - they spend far too long switching between the overhead camera and a handheld camera - but from around 1h7m stick to the overhead camera.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look great. The ball doesn’t spend too much time on the upper playfield which is what I was originally concerned about… but the main playfield doesn’t look like it shoots well either.
"Let's be honest, Alice owners will be playing with the glass off anyway!" WTAF!

It's unclear if they had no idea how to use the streaming rig and both of them were worse pinball players than I am. Or whether the pin has rubbish flippers and the layout is dank. Because they spent an awful lot of time shooting up the middle, with the ball trickling back back down the ramp.

A strike through all of my cynicism because the whole team, including @stumblor, are on Pinside defending the pin, and apologising for the reveal being amateurish and bad. Apparently, they were focused on getting the machine ready for Chicago and all the terrible shooting was down to nerves. They have said it’s designed to play like a 90s pin and not a technical shooter - not sure what that means, but that’s probably my bad and not theirs.

So, I guess we’ll wait until it appears at a convention :)

Last edited:
Okay. With my cynical hat on, I've played Magic Girl and can see features of that in this pin. Magic Girl is 'okay'.

Unlike Magic Girl, Alice has a massive magnet-driven playfield, which is a fun feature on TZ, but only because it's much smaller and on an otherwise packed pin.

I know this is super-cynical of me, but that's what I would do if I had the assets of a mediocre JPOP pin and was releasing it, largely unaltered from the original design.
IN theory the operation of the magnet playfield here should be much easier than on magicgirl because the load to it should be much simpler (ie not through itself) and also the playfield is larger and has no hole in the center of it. I look forward to seeing how they got on with programming the damn thing..

then we can look into the depth of rules, the animations, the sounds, the speech, the choreography of the lamps to graphics to shots etc. etc.

Also they bailed on working with the screen in its original position , making their lives even easier lol..

WOZ is on ver. 8.0 as an example. Code can be changed over time. I think they said Alice was on 0.7 so very early. Good thing is they have left it open sourced allowing you to change as you’d like. I can see lots of really nice work being created for this pin..

"Let's be honest, Alice owners will be playing with the glass off anyway!" WTAF!

It's unclear if they had no idea how to use the streaming rig and both of them were worse pinball players than I am. Or whether the pin has rubbish flippers and the layout is dank. Because they spent an awful lot of time shooting up the middle, with the ball trickling back back down the ramp.

A strike through all of my cynicism because the whole team, including @stumblor, are on Pinside defending the pin, and apologising for the reveal being amateurish and bad. Apparently, they were focused on getting the machine ready for Chicago and all the terrible shooting was down to nerves. They have said it’s designed to play like a 90s pin and not a technical shooter - not sure what that means, but that’s probably my bad and not theirs.

So, I guess we’ll wait until it appears at a convention :)
designed to be a 90s pin in this context usually mean a ruleset/shot progression close to the std wpc-95 game base, or at least starting from that point. stranger things has this heritage to. Also jpop was always a fan of simpler rulesets for games, so don't expect a keith elwin level of complexity. Just my views.

Yeah just caught up on that pinside thread. The game seems to be going down really well at expo. Even getting a positive review from Neil 😮😂

Back
Top Bottom