What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead Erratic Crossbow Fix

Vimtoman

Site Supporter
5Years
My Crossbow was a real pain and moving erratically.
I had a replacement motor but it did not cure the problem.
As I had two I decided to take one apart to see what the issue was.
The gearing looked solid but the coil was pretty loose. You can tell by just moving the lead on your to see if its loose.
By bending the prongs internally that place pressure on the internal coil fixed the problem.
I did end up adding some spots of adhesive on the base of the coil to make sure it does not move again :)

To take apart use a screwdriver to lever the lid off.
Start at the cable end. It's glued but does come off.
Just inch around the base of the cap bit by bit to raise the cap.
motor 1.JPG
There are three parts so its a pretty simple design. Just the movement of the coil effects the rotor.
I placed the coil back into the same way but probably does not make any difference.
The cable does have a plastic clip which I placed down.
motor 2.JPG
Lever all the tags out slightly ,so spreading out.
Careful not to over do it as they have to allow the coil to go back on.
Do the same on the cap.
Check that the coil and cap fits.
If you dont want to glue just check that the cable does not wiggle and your good to go.

I placed some Araldite on the base internally so that the coil stuck in firm.
Push the coil in and press firmly and allow to dry.
Using a quick set Araldite speeds things up.

motor 3.JPG

Once back together it will run smooth with no judder or change of direction.

Last edited:
Hi all, recently managed to obtain a TWD Premium and it has an intermittent issue with the crossbow;

Sometimes all works as it should, but sometimes I get one of the following issues:

Mech/crossbow start moving clockwise, but then it automatically fores before I press the fire button.

The crossbow gets to about a third of it's full movement, but then returns back to it's resting position with the ball still inside. Then it either comes back out a bit and it launches the ball at the left sling (ball whacks bounces and whacks the glass:-), or it launches the ball near the middle (think on its own, but I'll pressing the button at this point)

I'd like to understand how the switches/mech works to try and understand what the problem/fix might be?
There's a switch which is triggered upon the ball entering the crossbow trough/mech, this must then tell the mech to start moving through its semicircle/90 degree movement. Could it be there's something happening with the initial switch which is confusing the mech and telling it not to release the ball? Or could it be the switch where the motor is causing the issue?
I went in to the test menu and I'm not sure what it's testing/confirming?; first press, it moved to about a 3rd of the way, then 2nd press it moves the rest of the way, then back to rest position.

I'll take the apron off and take a vid later hopefully.
Thanks all; brilliant game, which would be even better if I could iron out this issue (thought I'd ask in this thread, as wasn't sure if the fix posted above related to the same issue I have)

When I had the issue a few years ago I found that the motor was the main issue.
I looked at switches like everyone else but nothing sorted out the erratic change of direction.
I found the one switch issue which was the cam switch that was mounted too close and bending the lever too much but that had nothing to do with the direction problem.

I ended up buying a new motor and found that was the reason for the problem.
Opening up the original I found that the loose coil and alignment to the teeth on the base and cap was the problem.

So advice would be take the top off your motor.
Center and fix the coil to its base.
Centering as in its cable outlet to the bases slot.
Then bend the slots on the top straight and pop that on so that it fits the coil cable outlet.

I do have a motor already set in a box somewhere but with no connectors.

The other thing.
If you've had new plastic protectors added make sure the crossbow does not foul on them.

My crossbow has the exact same problem, only it does work 50% of the time. I removed the apron and spent some time testing the three switches and couldn’t find anything amiss so have just put up with it for a few years now!

But after what vimtoman has posted above about the motor I might have to have another look.

The crossbow had a known issue when the games first came out. Stern issued a new loom which solved the problems with erratic movement and random firing.

Before taking stuff apart I’d check that the replacement loom kit has been installed.

When I had the issue a few years ago I found that the motor was the main issue.
I looked at switches like everyone else but nothing sorted out the erratic change of direction.
I found the one switch issue which was the cam switch that was mounted too close and bending the lever too much but that had nothing to do with the direction problem.

I ended up buying a new motor and found that was the reason for the problem.
Opening up the original I found that the loose coil and alignment to the teeth on the base and cap was the problem.

So advice would be take the top off your motor.
Center and fix the coil to its base.
Centering as in its cable outlet to the bases slot.
Then bend the slots on the top straight and pop that on so that it fits the coil cable outlet.

I do have a motor already set in a box somewhere but with no connectors.

The other thing.
If you've had new plastic protectors added make sure the crossbow does not foul on them.
Many thanks for the quick response mate! Will have a look inside the motor when I get the chance 👍🏻
Will consult the manual, but looks like a simple un-clip from connector (once relevant screws are removed) to take out the mech, so doesn't seem any harm in does as you suggest, even if it turns out to be a harness issue.

The crossbow had a known issue when the games first came out. Stern issued a new loom which solved the problems with erratic movement and random firing.

Before taking stuff apart I’d check that the replacement loom kit has been installed.
Thanks John; is there a way to tell if I have the newer harness or not?
AFAIK, the premiums were made after the LEs, as originally there were only Pros and LE's, so maybe a good chance that premiums have the newer harness?

The loom is a really long black and red cable stretching from the back of the playfield to the front of the cabinet.
Im guessing my the lose wire still cable tied was the original wiring.
IMG_4295.webp

The loom is a really long black and red cable stretching from the back of the playfield to the front of the cabinet.
Im guessing my the lose wire still cable tied was the original wiring.
View attachment 261380
I'll check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that's what I have, as earlier this evening I un/re-plugged that connector in and remember it being the white connector, rather than the see-through one cable tied in your pic 👍🏻
I also moved the outlane posts in today (ball ache, as to do that had to unscrew and move the left and right plastic ramps out of the way), as I was getting so many outlane drains off of the slings etc I was getting really mad 😄
Can handle drains when I fluff a shot (the game has to be one of the most punishing games!), but when I'm playing well and still getting cheap drains it's less fun (but even then, somehow I can't help but press the start button again for further punishment - some of the NSFW Negan callouts really rub it in too he he)

I'll check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that's what I have, as earlier this evening I un/re-plugged that connector in and remember it being the white connector, rather than the see-through one cable tied in your pic 👍🏻
I also moved the outlane posts in today (ball ache, as to do that had to unscrew and move the left and right plastic ramps out of the way), as I was getting so many outlane drains off of the slings etc I was getting really mad 😄
Can handle drains when I fluff a shot (the game has to be one of the most punishing games!), but when I'm playing well and still getting cheap drains it's less fun (but even then, somehow I can't help but press the start button again for further punishment - some of the NSFW Negan callouts really rub it in too he he)

This might be what your looking for.

Update; don't want to speak too soon, but looks like I sorted it; thanks so much @Vimtoman !
Have only been able to test it 3 times so far (neighbours next door had a baby recently so trying to keep the noise down tonight) - motion looks very smooth and didn't shoot the ball without me pressing*

*tried just leaving it; crossbow went all the way out and back. Rested briefly, then swung back out and auto launched towards the prison 👍🏻, which I believe is normal behaviour.

Was surprisingly easy to do; didn't even need to disconnect any wires or remove the motor from the game (seems glued doen hard)- just unlocked the spring and removed the small screw from the centre of the gear (?) underneath (be carefully with that screw; it's short and appears it could break if forced)
When moving the tags out a bit I moved them a bit too far at first (coil wouldn't go back in - should've paid more attention)- so not to damage the wheel in the middle, I used one of those tiny screwdriver ends.
Glad I took a pic before I disassembled, as for a while I p'd about trying to put the arm back on in the wrong manner.

Also checked; looks like my machine has the newer harness 👍🏻

Next job will be to adjust the popper sensitivity/clean switch contacts (not sensitive emough) and possibly adjust sensitivity of the prison Zombie head (takes a fairly precise shot to register; not sure if that's normal)

Also want to install a bycicle girl light; any recommendations (guy on ebay sells, but seems a bit overpriced and not sure of it's an alligator clip job)- so silly that Stern doesn't have that included; can't see the head it's so dark!

Not sure if there are any other "must have" mods to get? (Not looking to go cray cray on it)

Sod's law; during testing I completed ARENA for the first time, but drained on purpose to switch it off before I annoyed next door.1000019985.webp
1000019984.webp

Back
Top Bottom