What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Event image

The UK Open - 27th to 29th September in Croydon

For those who weren’t watching, the Classics finals were last night. Raymond Davidson won, Escher Lefkoff was 2nd, Viggo Lowgren was 3rd and Jason Zahler 4th. In terms of the Brits, three made the quarter finals: Andy Foster came 10th, Craig Pullen 14th, and Rich Mallett 16th.

The main finals are now underway, still in the first round but so far Josh Iles has advanced (and Andy has a bye)

It’s a young man’s game.
Not exactly. I wrote the same thing on the PGS thread, but:
  1. Daniele Celestino Acciari is ranked 4th in the world and has been IFPA active for 16 years. He's 40 (https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/view.php?p=1256).
  2. Zach McCarthy is ranked 2nd in the world and has been playing for at least 13 years. He's 19 (https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/view.php?p=8202).
There are exceptions, but international comps are largely being won by people who've been playing competitively for 10+ years. Some of those people are 19.

Not exactly. I wrote the same thing on the PGS thread, but:
  1. Daniele Celestino Acciari is ranked 4th in the world and has been IFPA active for 16 years. He's 40 (https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/view.php?p=1256).
  2. Zach McCarthy is ranked 2nd in the world and has been playing for at least 13 years. He's 19 (https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/view.php?p=8202).
There are exceptions, but international comps are largely being won by people who've been playing competitively for 10+ years. Some of those people are 19.
19 is a young! Even 40 is young compared to most people on here!

19 is a young! Even 40 is young compared to most people on here!
That's not what I mean.

The oldest member of the winning Finnish team in PGS was 21, leading to lots of 'is that the youth comp' jokes. The winner of the UK Open 2024 is 19.

What I was pointing out is that Daniele, who is 40, has been playing the same length of time as Zach - it's just that Zach started playing competitively, aged 6, and Daniele started as an adult.

I think you'd be surprised at the ages of people who read PinballInfo. I know an increasing number of people in RL who have user names here, and many of them are my age or younger (or, at least, they look that way!)

Last edited:
Enjoyed the skills of these young pin dudes

Some of the "milking" of classic games got a bit tedious. Remembered l loved skateball until you worked out the saucer trick. Definitely needs a new code on that one
Oh and the playfield on big game is not only 90% pointless but bloody ugly . Backglass nice though!

Enjoyed the skills of these young pin dudes

Some of the "milking" of classic games got a bit tedious. Remembered l loved skateball until you worked out the saucer trick. Definitely needs a new code on that one

What's the saucer trick? (I've not watched the stream yet)

Someone who is actually good will probably turn up to correct me, but my experience of playing competitive (mostly league) pinball is about 25%+ is playing broken, tedious exploits on some of the most aggressively mediocre pins in history. If anyone wants to throw a Shrek/Family Guy off a roof and video it then, after this weekend, I will be there with the camera (or, quite possibly, a flame thrower).

Family Guy is the only reason I have an interest in this hobby.
Okay. Try:
  1. Shooting the right spinner/loop, knocking the ball away from the left slingshot using the small upper flipper.
  2. Catch the ball on right flipper.
  3. Transfer to left flipper.
  4. Repeat right spinner/loop shot.
  5. Begin Donkey Pinball and/or Swamp (on Shrek).
  6. Shoot outer (red) loop on little playfield with too-light tiny ball until timer runs out and/or do each character shot once.
  7. Rinse and repeat until you drain, either because you can't transfer a ball reliably, or because you decided to shoot something else out of sheer boredom even though you've only been playing for about 10 seconds in objective time.
If you're an actually good player (which I'm not), I'd estimate this approach will net you about 300,000 every 10-15 seconds or so, until the moment when the sheer horror drives you to chew off your own hand.

On a family holiday to Orlando in 2013 the hotel had a Family Guy, my nephews and I chuckled our titties off every night pumping it full of quarters for a fortnight after walking around theme parks all day. It was the only experience I'd had with a pinball machine until.
2021 for my 40th birthday Leah bought me a FG from HLD, it was on an obscenely early code with half the game not working. I joined this forum...

That strategy is odd to me as the video modes are worth 5m+ each, the beer can has various achievements worth millions and also starting crazy Chris means ramps and orbits are worth 500k-1m each. There's no need to chop wood to start Stewie multiball over and over fart multiball and lard multiball score plenty and the mini wizard mode via starting the 5 videos modes is worth millions too.

I have never entered a competition and have no plans too.

What I was pointing out is that Daniele, who is 40, has been playing the same length of time as Zach - it's just that Zach started playing competitively, aged 6, and Daniele started as an adult.

Are you sure about this? Daniele showing 16 years of activity in ifpa doesn't mean he's only been playing for 16 years. In fact the modern ifpa has only been active since 2006, sooo

Are you sure about this? Daniele showing 16 years of activity in ifpa doesn't mean he's only been playing for 16 years. In fact the modern ifpa has only been active since 2006, sooo
No. I checked the IPFA website stats on 'years active' (i.e. time to enough IFPA competitions to show a year of play) to test a theory 🤷‍♂️ It's possible the data didn't carry over from pre-2006 and, of course, Daniele could have been playing for years before entering a comp :)

On a family holiday to Orlando in 2013 the hotel had a Family Guy, my nephews and I chuckled our titties off every night pumping it full of quarters for a fortnight after walking around theme parks all day. It was the only experience I'd had with a pinball machine until.
2021 for my 40th birthday Leah bought me a FG from HLD, it was on an obscenely early code with half the game not working. I joined this forum...
Wow, what a lovely story about loving a pin 😍

That strategy is odd to me as the video modes are worth 5m+ each, the beer can has various achievements worth millions and also starting crazy Chris means ramps and orbits are worth 500k-1m each. There's no need to chop wood to start Stewie multiball over and over fart multiball and lard multiball score plenty and the mini wizard mode via starting the 5 videos modes is worth millions too.

I have never entered a competition and have no plans too.
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me but, certainly at my level (i.e. not good), you don't really 'play' machines :) Because pinball is naturally luck-based and anyone can have a great game one time, competitions are organised to reward consistency, i.e. the ability to replicate decent scores across multiple machines. Thus, you want to make as many lucrative, but safe, shots as possible. Hence why Bowen Kerins seems to be recommending wood chopping here - having Googled this strategy on Friday night, it tripled my average score on Shrek (while being pretty safe), but was as dull as dishwater to execute.

In the hope of offending as many pinball owners as possible, other examples include 'DOG All Day' (to offend the Junkyard fans) and Move Your Car (the CFTBL strategy for mediocre players who want to lose the will to live).

Last edited:
No. I checked the IPFA website stats on 'years active' (i.e. time to enough IFPA competitions to show a year of play) to test a theory 🤷‍♂️ It's possible the data didn't carry over from pre-2006 and, of course, Daniele could have been playing for years before entering a comp :)

There wasn't really much data to carry over pre-2006. That's when the (modern) IFPA formed and started tracking tournaments, but it was really only a handful of US based tournaments at that point.
Pretty sure players of Daniele's calibre would have been playing since they were kids. Or at least introduced to pinball at a young age.

In the hope of offending as many pinball owners as possible, other examples include 'DOG All Day' (to offend the Junkyard fans) and Move Your Car (the CFTBL strategy for mediocre players who want to lose the will to live).
If you can play MYC over and over 'safely' the machine is set up wrong.

'DOG all day' isn't a value for pps (points per shot) strategy.

If you want real boredom. Have Iron Chair ready to go on GoT, but you don't want to start it because you've already used your Martell add a ball. The only shot you've got is left loop to increase bonus multiplier. I've seen Cayle repeat this overr and over until his bonus was over 50x.

The same can be said about shooting the Creature to the exclusion of everything else in MB as demonstrated by Paul Jongma.

TLDR: some games have repeatable safe stratgies/exploits - but the vast majority can be circumvented if machines are setup by an experienced TD.

If you can play MYC over and over 'safely' the machine is set up wrong.
TLDR: some games have repeatable safe stratgies/exploits - but the vast majority can be circumvented if machines are setup by an experienced TD.

To be fair, this was our (former) machine, where you *could* do that - as our seven year old demonstrated repeatedly, to the great amusement of his little brother. And, while we owned the pin, we were told it could be done as a boring, but lucrative, tournament strategy - I think I’d posted some videos of us playing that specific machine. It was a big factor in me eventually selling the pin because, of course, I wasn’t good enough to get super jackpots and, once I realised, I didn’t want to do anything else.

We’ve never actually managed to find a machine in comp where we could pull it off (presumably, because Deleted User 404 is too clever a TD for us!!! :) ).

You're unlikely to win a high level comp by doing move your car.
Same with Monster Fish on Fish Tales.
As soon as you get creech going with the playfield multiplier the scores rack up.

Even if not the left ramp strat can outdo MYC.

(Junk yard is fantastic Claire's selling TOM before Junk yard, call us crazy 😁)

Back
Top Bottom