What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2024 thread

Putting a high reserve on is a good way of valuing it, more accurate than posting in the how much is this worth thread, however I think that just cost the seller £150 in final value fees.

Best way to sell a pin is on here, just put up with the banter.

Start high and reduce until you find a buyer, depending on how fast you want to sell it. Just take into account that very few will pay the asking price right now.

I put stuff on eBay with a highish BIN price with offers enabled. That way you can leave it up for 4 weeks with any promotions e.g. 80% off final value fees. Doesn't cost anything if it doesn't sell.
Me too, except I always disable offers, instead I just reduce the price over time. Happy to leave stuff on for over a year if it takes that long. I get 70% off deal every 2 weeks without fail. Just be careful you don't get caught out with the automatic relisting after 30 days, as that cancels the discount. Just end the listing and start the discount offer again.

Heads up on the Police Force listed on eBay yesterday:

….this was the one from an auction 4 days ago, hammer price around £1250 with fees so being flipped.

Heads up on the Police Force listed on eBay yesterday:

….this was the one from an auction 4 days ago, hammer price around £1250 with fees so being flipped.
Certainly doesn’t say anything about being fully gone over / serviced / tested / new rubbers / etc but I could be doing them an injustice. Good to see another pinball saved and back into circulation, I guess the auction buyer took the gamble on what was wrong with it and others did get a chance to bid it higher🤷‍♂️

Certainly doesn’t say anything about being fully gone over / serviced / tested / new rubbers / etc but I could be doing them an injustice. Good to see another pinball saved and back into circulation, I guess the auction buyer took the gamble on what was wrong with it and others did get a chance to bid it higher🤷‍♂️

I guess there are different ways to look at it…. personally I find it annoying, partly having been outbid, that the person who got it doesn’t even want it and is just out to make a quick buck. So it’s not “saved it”, and they are adding no value having done nothing to it other than increase its price. The pin will indeed be back in circulation but to the financial gain of the seller, eBay and the auction house which ultimately keeps prices higher… and an innocent buyer won’t know it’s been flipped within 48 hours of an auction.

PS. I know it’s a free world etc, but I would feel the same if I hadn’t bid on it too :) I was very pleased to see the auctioned Stern Magic went to someone on here.

I guess there are different ways to look at it…. personally I find it annoying, partly having been outbid, that the person who got it doesn’t even want it and is just out to make a quick buck. So it’s not “saved it”, and they are adding no value having done nothing to it other than increase its price. The pin will indeed be back in circulation but to the financial gain of the seller, eBay and the auction house which ultimately keeps prices higher… and an innocent buyer won’t know it’s been flipped within 48 hours of an auction.

PS. I know it’s a free world etc, but I would feel the same if I hadn’t bid on it too :) I was very pleased to see the auctioned Stern Magic went to someone on here.

Had the buyer bought of here to flip it then I agree, but you have to appreciate that some people (like me) make our only income from buying / selling (not flipping) so winning an auction be it an auction house or eBay is a fair way to purchase, especially as 90% of the pinball’s I buy to sell on are non working / partially working so I put a lot of time and money into getting them to the best I can for the next owner.

Just my angle on things but obviously not the thoughts of others on here

…winning an auction be it an auction house or eBay is a fair way to purchase, especially as 90% of the pinball’s I buy to sell on are non working / partially working so I put a lot of time and money into getting them to the best I can for the next owner.

Yes but you’re adding value, and that’s great (and an important part of the pinball life-cycle!). I guess I view this one like people who buy tickets to concerts or matches just to flip them at a higher price…. it serves no purpose other than inflating prices.

Yes but you’re adding value, and that’s great (and an important part of the pinball life-cycle!). I guess I view this one like people who buy tickets to concerts or matches just to flip them at a higher price…. it serves no purpose other than inflating prices.
I agree with you totally, flipping is the scourge of pinball selling 👍

Original Cactus Canyon on auction,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326149294614
If my wife kills me, its all on you Scott!!!! :p She is not gonna be happy with me buying yet another pin but the temptation is off the charts. Plus I clicked the link and it said "seller you've bought from previously" so its a sign! Just wish he'd mentioned CC was for the chop a few weeks ago when I was standing on his driveway cos as usual, this ain't anywhere near Scotland :rolleyes:

If my wife kills me, its all on you Scott!!!! :p She is not gonna be happy with me buying yet another pin but the temptation is off the charts. Plus I clicked the link and it said "seller you've bought from previously" so its a sign! Just wish he'd mentioned CC was for the chop a few weeks ago when I was standing on his driveway cos as usual, this ain't anywhere near Scotland :rolleyes:
Yeah really surprised that CC has been put up for sale by John. Unless he has a remake lined up maybe. Played it a few times at his place , liked it but didn`t love it. Great condition though and not many will come up for sale . It is the only Bally /Williams DMD i have never owned and back in the day i thought it wasn`t worth the top money they went for. Times change though and obviously it was worth the money if you were prepared to sit on it for a number of years. My priorities with pinball was playing them and enjoying each and every different machine. That way is how you find out what you really like and that is by far way more important for me if you play them every day.

Just read the email from ebay. 20% vat will apply. Is that new? So Cactus Canyon will be 20% higher than the end bid? Or the seller is going to get stung for 20%? I assume the buyer is going to have to add 20% here. Not seen this before and not seen an email about it from ebay. Doubt anyone will be happy putting in a final bid and then realising its gonna be 20% more. Equally doubt the seller will be happy if they are paying vat.

IMG_6422.png

Just read the email from ebay. 20% vat will apply. Is that new? So Cactus Canyon will be 20% higher than the end bid? Or the seller is going to get stung for 20%? I assume the buyer is going to have to add 20% here. Not seen this before and not seen an email about it from ebay. Doubt anyone will be happy putting in a final bid and then realising its gonna be 20% more. Equally doubt the seller will be happy if they are paying vat.

View attachment 252960
Thats not on the auction on the desktop version. Plus it clearly states a private seller.
I thought you could only pay vat once on an item...

Thats not on the auction on the desktop version. Plus it clearly states a private seller.
I thought you could only pay vat once on an item...
Its not on the item itself from my ebay view. I'm the highest bidder and thats the email I got through from ebay. Bought from ebay yesterday and never got that 20% vat will apply email so I dunno if its a new thing or just applicable to items over a certain threshold.

Its not on the item itself from my ebay view. I'm the highest bidder and thats the email I got through from ebay. Bought from ebay yesterday and never got that 20% vat will apply email so I dunno if its a new thing or just applicable to items over a certain threshold.
Is your eBay account VAT registered?

I won from eBay yesterday, no VAT to pay.

Is your eBay account VAT registered?

I won from eBay yesterday, no VAT to pay.
No, not VAT registered. Also won from ebay yesterday and I double checked the 'you're the highest bidder' email and it didnt say the 20% vat message I got tonight.

I have a vat registered business account and a personal account and never seen that message. Could be an ebay glitch, probably thinks your bidding from another country. Cookie problem perhaps?

I have a vat registered business account and a personal account and never seen that message. Could be an ebay glitch, probably thinks your bidding from another country. Cookie problem perhaps?
It happens more often than it should on ebay. I have seen it add vat to a uk listing (when it shouldnt) many times, but it soon disappears.

Back
Top Bottom