What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Metallica Remake(?) Discussion

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Morning all,

So what with the "new" Metallica apparently being revealed any day now (apparently as park of Expo), I thought it'd be good to get a new thread going.

I ended up subscribing to Kaneda's Patreon at the weekend, as I'm a 'tallica super fan 🤓 and am excited for any news (yes, I know the guy can come off as a total knob, but he does tend to get inside info...)
A lot of what Kaneda has said, overlaps with other rumours (some of which I've included here):
Likely will be revealed at the Stern factory tour for Expo attendees (rather than at the show, to leave the main focus on X-men)
Not a 1:1 vault with Spike (2?) lcd screen, different art (zombi yeti) all round and possibly tweaked layout and remolded bash toys etc.
Will be a "studio release" a la Elvira; no PRO. Only Premium and LE models.
This is where the rumour that this won't be a 1:1 vault comes from, as Gomez said they won't redo any LE's, but some have said that different art etc wouldn't count, so could still be same layout, but with Spike 2 lcd screen and some other changes (loads more songs etc - doesn't mean the extra songs are tied in to modes)

I'd be interested to hear what current MET owners think re; what would it take for you to sell your OG machine and buy the "new" one?
Would just more tunes, better sound, LCD screen with concerts footage/animation make you want it?; or would it need to to be a totally new game? (I reckon it'd be heavily inspired by the original if it is new)
Would new artwork put you off?

Likewise, those that have never owned a MET; would a remake interest you?

From my point of view, I've owned both a PRO and then a Premium (both excellent games and for 98% of people the PRO is probably sufficient - that's a separate discussion I won't go in to here).
I sold my Premium to a mate, partly because I can only house/afford one game at a time and wanted to experience different games and also because the remake/sequel rumours started.
I do want to have a MET again and I'm on the fence until I see the "new" game re; if I want another OG, or the new one.

As a side note, if anyone does decide to sell their og Premium (or maybe LE), please let me know 🙏
I currently have a nice Walking Dead Premium with Colour DMD which I'm considering moving on after Halloween (or longer - MET situation will be a decided there) and could offer that in trade, or sell to get a MET.

P.s; I see that within Stern's survey (I didn't see one on my Insider connect?) they listen "For a few dollars more"; wonder if this was a bit of a 'tallica teaser? (Re; link with The Extacy of Gold:-) - new game surely has to have that by the way!....excitement level up another nothing now!...;-)

My MET won’t be going anywhere as it was a grail pin for me, 1 because I’m a Metallica fan and 2 it’s a great game to play.
Can’t wait to see and play a remake. If it’s as good as the OG or better then I’ll be adding it to my lineup 😆

Think it's a win/win for everyone really👍🏻 (unless the new release is crap, but doubt it - if Borg is still involved, he'll make sure it's awesome, as he's a legit fan if the band)
For those that don't have or can't get an OG MET, I'm sure the new release will make up for it. Have a feeling the new one won't make the OG one redundant, but let's see.

If I sold Metallica it wouldn’t be to buy a new and mildly improved version. Happy with what I have, and when I’m not it’ll get sold. These things will be pushing £11,000 new, then a few months later maybe £9,000 used maybe. Even if I sold the 2013 original for £6-7-8k it’s still a bloody great game for that money.

They’ll probably do TRON again soon, too. Stern can be real money-grabbing jackasses sometimes.

If I sold Metallica it wouldn’t be to buy a new and mildly improved version. Happy with what I have, and when I’m not it’ll get sold. These things will be pushing £11,000 new, then a few months later maybe £9,000 used maybe. Even if I sold the 2013 original for £6-7-8k it’s still a bloody great game for that money.

They’ll probably do TRON again soon, too. Stern can be real money-grabbing jackasses sometimes.
TRON (& ghostbusters) remakes have also been talked about for a while. Makes sense, as both grest licenses.

Replied twice, sorry (don't know how to delete, just edit)

Morning all,

So what with the "new" Metallica apparently being revealed any day now (apparently as park of Expo), I thought it'd be good to get a new thread going.

I ended up subscribing to Kaneda's Patreon at the weekend, as I'm a 'tallica super fan 🤓 and am excited for any news (yes, I know the guy can come off as a total knob, but he does tend to get inside info...)
A lot of what Kaneda has said, overlaps with other rumours (some of which I've included here):
Likely will be revealed at the Stern factory tour for Expo attendees (rather than at the show, to leave the main focus on X-men)
Not a 1:1 vault with Spike (2?) lcd screen, different art (zombi yeti) all round and possibly tweaked layout and remolded bash toys etc.
Will be a "studio release" a la Elvira; no PRO. Only Premium and LE models.
This is where the rumour that this won't be a 1:1 vault comes from, as Gomez said they won't redo any LE's, but some have said that different art etc wouldn't count, so could still be same layout, but with Spike 2 lcd screen and some other changes (loads more songs etc - doesn't mean the extra songs are tied in to modes)

I'd be interested to hear what current MET owners think re; what would it take for you to sell your OG machine and buy the "new" one?
Would just more tunes, better sound, LCD screen with concerts footage/animation make you want it?; or would it need to to be a totally new game? (I reckon it'd be heavily inspired by the original if it is new)
Would new artwork put you off?

Likewise, those that have never owned a MET; would a remake interest you?

From my point of view, I've owned both a PRO and then a Premium (both excellent games and for 98% of people the PRO is probably sufficient - that's a separate discussion I won't go in to here).
I sold my Premium to a mate, partly because I can only house/afford one game at a time and wanted to experience different games and also because the remake/sequel rumours started.
I do want to have a MET again and I'm on the fence until I see the "new" game re; if I want another OG, or the new one.

As a side note, if anyone does decide to sell their og Premium (or maybe LE), please let me know 🙏
I currently have a nice Walking Dead Premium with Colour DMD which I'm considering moving on after Halloween (or longer - MET situation will be a decided there) and could offer that in trade, or sell to get a MET.

P.s; I see that within Stern's survey (I didn't see one on my Insider connect?) they listen "For a few dollars more"; wonder if this was a bit of a 'tallica teaser? (Re; link with The Extacy of Gold:-) - new game surely has to have that by the way!....excitement level up another nothing now!...;-)
I've got to say, the taster artwork doesn't look as nice (personal preference) as the colourful, cartoony original edition.

I really like the original, although possibly not enough to overcome my aversion to the music. If lots of people try to sell the original version to get a new one, I might look to rotate the original into our collection.

I've got to say, the taster artwork doesn't look as nice (personal preference) as the colourful, cartoony original edition.

I really like the original, although possibly not enough to overcome my aversion to the music. If lots of people try to sell the original version to get a new one, I might look to rotate the original into our collection.
I've not seen anything yet; where did you find the taster artwork? - I'm dying to see anything there is!:-)

I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) there was no rom hack (like with TWD) to swap out all the tunes for those who don't like the music.

I'm really torn on the whole new game; do I get another OG prem, or wait experience more games and get the new MET down the line - I'll know once I see the new one. The suspense! :-)

This wasn't what I was thinking of, but it's here.
Blimey! I'm even more excited now!

So that's what the new sparky will look like; don't mind that atall (maybe modders will do a retro sparky mod)

Not even seen the game, but already tempted to move TWD on and start saving (trying to be less impulsive in life, but have been a huge 'tallica fan for like 35 years 😵)

Blimey! I'm even more excited now!

So that's what the new sparky will look like; don't mind that atall (maybe modders will do a retro sparky mod)

Not even seen the game, but already tempted to move TWD on and start saving (trying to be less impulsive in life, but have been a huge 'tallica fan for like 35 years 😵)
😂😂😂 love you Den, all our chats we’ve both been on the fence, shortest little teaser and you’re all over it ready to sell ya lungs 👍😂😂

Or to put it another way….

Are you happy to pay twice the price that the premium was when originally released?

I love my pro but wouldn’t bother coughing up the price of another game to “upgrade” it to the new version.

A LCD screen is also not a big draw for me on this game. I like the dots and the humour of the DMD. Games with video grabs such as GOT and SM would look better though.

If it was only 2-3k more I might be tempted but I suspect the price point would be over 10 grand.

I've not seen anything yet; where did you find the taster artwork? - I'm dying to see anything there is!:-)

I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) there was no rom hack (like with TWD) to swap out all the tunes for those who don't like the music.

I'm really torn on the whole new game; do I get another OG prem, or wait experience more games and get the new MET down the line - I'll know once I see the new one. The suspense! :-)
I hacked out the songs on my old one. You can even change the text to accompany them. I got rid of their later crap and put more songs from the first 3 albums.

Are you happy to pay twice the price that the premium was when originally released?

I love my pro but wouldn’t bother coughing up the price of another game to “upgrade” it to the new version.

A LCD screen is also not a big draw for me on this game. I like the dots and the humour of the DMD. Games with video grabs such as GOT and SM would look better though.

If it was only 2-3k more I might be tempted but I suspect the price point would be over 10 grand.
Prices are listed $9699 Prem $12999 LE expect similar £ price

Is there a danger with the video screen that they will use live music clips?

Trying to remember what I paid for my pro. I think just under 4k but it was ages ago.

Totally get what you are saying John and really interested to hear everyone's different points of view.
For me as an example, Met premiums are currently super hard to find, and if you can find one, how much will people be asking? (I made a fairly large loss when I sold my Premium, on the proviso that if it's ever sold, I'd get dibs at that price)
Impossible to make a decision until full reveal/maybe even a play, but then it becomes a question of NIB, go out for a used Remaster, or save cash and go for an OG Premium.
I think it's going to be more than juat an LCD; it'll prob be even better lighting effects, a bunch of extra songs, some extra modes (STERN: please honour Lyman's OG code and add modes which don't mess with it 🙏).
Downsides for me could be:
If they make the rising cross/snake/sparky look crap - I predict a ramp which is almost identical to Scared stiffs, with the snake Skeleton on it (that'd be cool to be fair lol)
change the layout to not be as fun (mess with lady justice.mode)
Stern's excessive crazy plastics everywhere.
Artwork being crap like say Infinity quest (including crappy cartoon Hetfield and Co- dirty Donnie pulled it off perfectly though so...)

If we are talking OG PRO to buying a Premium remake, then that's a fairly massive financial jump and I'd imagine if the layout is the same, most will just stick with their PRO, especially if they aren't 'tallica fanatics.

Back
Top Bottom