What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrogaming; Capcom Home Arcade+Analogue pocket (thoughts+praise)

Cheers I'll make sure I do that part., Got a feeling the buttons have been a bit mashed to death on this.
Took a faff to update from 1.51 (which was so laggy) to 1.71 as it didn't like my wifi password, so had to change it to 12345678 briefly, then testing a couple of games things seem to occur without me pressing occasionally. When I've gone into controller test there's no ghost actions occurring there, and all buttons seem to work...odd
Ah yeah, apparently the original firmware was really picky re; which WiFi it would connect to. I side stepped that by doing the clocks hack straight away, as I think it also brought the firmware up to date too.
Keep in mind, the newer firmware has the ability to switch on scanlines:-) (scanlines with smoothing looked the best to me + changing the aspect ratio setting)
Buttons prob need a clean, as might be gunk in there. Worst case scenario, you could put brand new sanwa buttons in there.
I'll switch my pc on in a bit and show you screenshot of how my usb stick looks re, file structure, as if you are missing a little file in each roms folder, your cha won't recognise the uab stick/roms folders.

Ah yeah, apparently the original firmware was really picky re; which WiFi it would connect to. I side stepped that by doing the clocks hack straight away, as I think it also brought the firmware up to date too.
Keep in mind, the newer firmware has the ability to switch on scanlines:-) (scanlines with smoothing looked the best to me + changing the aspect ratio setting)
Buttons prob need a clean, as might be gunk in there. Worst case scenario, you could put brand new sanwa buttons in there.
I'll switch my pc on in a bit and show you screenshot of how my usb stick looks re, file structure, as if you are missing a little file in each roms folder, your cha won't recognise the uab stick/roms folders.
Top man, thank you

@Den - aka Wolfgang dang done the FEL mode and the CHA won't power on normally now.
Got a feeling I've goosed one of the replacement files when doing the FEL, or the micro usb power is damaged.
I can still get into FEL, see the drive and run boot etc.. just does nothing when I reconnect to TV with micro usb now.

Are the original device files anywhere online that I can copy over ?

@Den - aka Wolfgang dang done the FEL mode and the CHA won't power on normally now.
Got a feeling I've goosed one of the replacement files when doing the FEL, or the micro usb power is damaged.
I can still get into FEL, see the drive and run boot etc.. just does nothing when I reconnect to TV with micro usb now.

Are the original device files anywhere online that I can copy over ?
Don't panic; the stick is probably just booting in usb *joystick mode

First though, try just holding the power button in for a few seconds....release and see if the power light comes on. It might be you get a black screen for a bit, as the CFA might need to install some files or something.
I've found on my cha sometimes it'll look like it's powering on for a second and then nothing. I have to hold th power button in for a second or two, let go, then it powerd up.

*incase it's in joystick mode, try holding p1 and p2 credit buttons as you boot it up. I had the same thing as you and thought I'd ballsed mine up.

1000019649.webp

Don't panic; the stick is probably just booting in usb *joystick mode

First though, try just holding the power button in for a few seconds....release and see if the power light comes on. It might be you get a black screen for a bit, as the CFA might need to install some files or something.
I've found on my cha sometimes it'll look like it's powering on for a second and then nothing. I have to hold th power button in for a second or two, let go, then it powerd up.

*incase it's in joystick mode, try holding p1 and p2 credit buttons as you boot it up. I had the same thing as you and thought I'd ballsed mine up.
Tried the above, I've found a guide to factory install the firmware so I'll see if I can unbrick it.

Added the Automatic Game list files to the USB then added roms from an old CHA_MOD archive, two different Metal Slugs restarted the CHA while seconds into the first Level.
I'm hoping it's a USB low power issue from the TV or the incorrect core is in use.
Not gonna fiddle anymore tonight, will check stuff tomorrow with a proper USB plug to start with

Started over with the USB, cps1/cps2/cps3/fbneo folders and some of the things that played ok before now restart the CHA 😂

Might need @Den - aka Wolfgang help please to just point me in the direction of the best rom/core combo's
Got to grips with the the choko boot menu / selecting cores / list updater etc.

Started over with the USB, cps1/cps2/cps3/fbneo folders and some of the things that played ok before now restart the CHA 😂

Might need @Den - aka Wolfgang help please to just point me in the direction of the best rom/core combo's
Got to grips with the the choko boot menu / selecting cores / list updater etc.
Will switch my pc on after work and send some pics of the contents of my usb stick.
The install/image I'm uaing is the Choko + Lakka imagine, but I'll check.
I remember Metal Slug 3 not working at first, so I grabbed a different rom (a larger one, like 80MB) and that worked (atleast with Lakka)
Can't remember if I had other crashes, but I'd imagine knocking the memory stick could crash things, if your roms are running from the stick.

Will switch my pc on after work and send some pics of the contents of my usb stick.
The install/image I'm uaing is the Choko + Lakka imagine, but I'll check.
I remember Metal Slug 3 not working at first, so I grabbed a different rom (a larger one, like 80MB) and that worked (atleast with Lakka)
Can't remember if I had other crashes, but I'd imagine knocking the memory stick could crash things, if your roms are running from the stick.
Thanks mate, not running lakka currently. Just the 'CHA Choko Games List' on the USB with ROMS I've found added.
With archive.org being down I've not been able to use the ones I did for my RG28xx

Thanks mate, not running lakka currently. Just the 'CHA Choko Games List' on the USB with ROMS I've found added.
With archive.org being down I've not been able to use the ones I did for my RG28xx
Right, so here are pics of how my usb stick is set up. Key is having the CHA game list folder on the root of the usb stick (included a pic of the sandisc 3.0 32gb stick I used too (think it was a pack of 2 from amazon for £7.99 or something)
Also included a pic of where I belive I got my Choko and Lakka imagine from (githib page) the one I used will be the more recent one.

Attachments

• 20241014_235436.webp
    20241014_235436.webp
    232.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20241014_235449.webp
    20241014_235449.webp
    287.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20241014_235514.webp
    20241014_235514.webp
    418.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20241014_235548.webp
    20241014_235548.webp
    298 KB · Views: 4
  • 20241014_235600.webp
    20241014_235600.webp
    300.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20241014_235642.webp
    20241014_235642.webp
    351.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20241014_235732.webp
    20241014_235732.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20241014_235744.webp
    20241014_235744.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the above, my folders look the same and using a Sandisk. Most CPS stuff seems to play stable with FBAlpha (default) and some NeoGeo works depending on which FBNeo core chosen (there's 3 including the weekly build which doesn't work on most bizarrey) if the CHA didn't just crash and restart it would be less annoying than it going back into menu.

I think I'll try the expanded partition version and add the CPS games direct to have a solid base of games.
I'm assuming as this is an .img file I'll run this in win32diskimgr same as when I re-flashed v1.71 to unbrick the CHA, then copy the rest of the CHOKO / Automatic List files again.

Ideally I'd like my go to NeoGeo's added here so I can use the scanlines/smoother/bezel options, however the FBNeo USB boot loader does work ok for Konami/Data East just takes a while to scrape the drive each boot.

I have been following this, having started off last year introducing my kid to retro gaming and they really enjoy it. I kept planning to build a mobile Retropie but have so many projects I might as well buy into something recommended by the community.

Analogue pocket appears to be costly but the ANBERNIC RG35XX H seems to be a reasonable price, but then I see a RG40XX H for a bit more and then I procrastinate about do I need more storage. Is the base RG35XX H a good enough place to get a kid to enjoy some retro gaming in the car?

I have the rg28xx as it's smaller than my phone. The stock Os is basic but plays all the 64gb of games included fine, the odd thing is retroarch is installed as a separate app so you can play some of of the same games here and others which don't appear in the other. Retroarch has the funky bezels, filters, shaders etc already setup too.

Thanks for the above, my folders look the same and using a Sandisk. Most CPS stuff seems to play stable with FBAlpha (default) and some NeoGeo works depending on which FBNeo core chosen (there's 3 including the weekly build which doesn't work on most bizarrey) if the CHA didn't just crash and restart it would be less annoying than it going back into menu.

I think I'll try the expanded partition version and add the CPS games direct to have a solid base of games.
I'm assuming as this is an .img file I'll run this in win32diskimgr same as when I re-flashed v1.71 to unbrick the CHA, then copy the rest of the CHOKO / Automatic List files again.

Ideally I'd like my go to NeoGeo's added here so I can use the scanlines/smoother/bezel options, however the FBNeo USB boot loader does work ok for Konami/Data East just takes a while to scrape the drive each boot.
I believe the Choko/kakka image/version does expand the partition.
My plan is; Capcom + Neo Geo copied to internal (if it all fits, otherwise just capcom) - using whichever emu is default, as the scanlines look great.
+use Lakka (with whichever emy runs 100% with scanlines) for say the metal slug games, so I can turn the blood on.

Update re; my Analogue pocket.
Had a right hassle just ordering a dock for it. UPS I'd up the initial delivery attempt, then had to wait a week for them to deliver it to a UPS drop off point.
Going to collect the dock and try it out tonight.

Regrettably, what with a new pin hopefully on the horizon I'm probably gonna sell my Analogue Pocket with the Dock (and some other stuff; mini consoles, JPN sega saturn, Dreamcast, modded megadrive with overdrive, super famicom etc - prob my Xb series X too)

I believe the Choko/kakka image/version does expand the partition.
My plan is; Capcom + Neo Geo copied to internal (if it all fits, otherwise just capcom) - using whichever emu is default, as the scanlines look great.
+use Lakka (with whichever emy runs 100% with scanlines) for say the metal slug games, so I can turn the blood on.

I just put CHA into FEL mode, wrote CHA.v1.7.1.with.Choko.Hack.v13.2.0.expanded.partition.new.version.img in Windisk32imgr over.
Drive appeared, so I copied over the CHOKO files. Opened disk utility and could see the unnamed partition so gave new volume name & as FAT32
Copied the 'CHA Choko Games Lists' folder to the new partition and added some Roms in the correct folder.
Turning the CHA on, the Choko boot menu is still looking for a USB and without just goes straight into the original games.

The instructions I've found so far aren't clear for this method, so I made some assumptions here and clearly I'm wrong 😂

Back
Top Bottom