What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale American Pinball new UK Distributor

Id say 20% Gross profit and about 8% net still a nice wage. If his company ever did 3m turnover

Stern Make an average of 500 machines a week more since they moved if they have to and your 35m is way low.

How do stern pay for there IP they sell Le machines with 2k on top x 800 to 1000 builds gets them 1.6m to 2 mill

Stern USA vrs UK pricing

Pro 5500USD plus state tax 5 to 8% rough 5940 usd or 4504stg tax included
Pro 7500STG plus 20% vat 9000 stg rough $11870 tax included

Even a pro is treble x and gets worse the higher the tiers you go

Easy have 20 pro's in a barcade in USA not so easy for UK/Ireland

Just so you know I'm not digging anyone here I'm just firing out figures I know

How it goes from 4.5k to 12k no one knows cough cough but if you priced same machine made by same people sold in France or Germany or anywhere in Europe it wont take rocket science to figure it
Totally accept that my 5k figure which I pulled out of the nether was probably low, but I’d be astounded if Stern are making 500 machines a week year round (25k) - two or three cornerstones a year and a vault, maybe two titles in the last five years which might have more than 10k units produced (Godzilla and JP), a few relative sales duds like Venom, Rush, John Wick and Led Zep in the mix which would be way lower than that. Just can’t see it adding up that high

Totally accept that my 5k figure which I pulled out of the nether was probably low, but I’d be astounded if Stern are making 500 machines a week year round (25k) - two or three cornerstones a year and a vault, maybe two titles in the last five years which might have more than 10k units produced (Godzilla and JP), a few relative sales duds like Venom, Rush, John Wick and Led Zep in the mix which would be way lower than that. Just can’t see it adding up that high
IIRC, TWIPY newsletter (I think) did an analysis of estimated sales/production of released titles and Stern sell roughly 3k-5k (total) of each (more of the real hits) over three years of active production, with more for recent hits like Godzilla (10k). That’s about 5,000 a year, say, which is ~100 or less a week.

They account for about half the market, with all the boutique manufacturers making another 5,000 pins a year total combined. JJP are the biggest boutique manufacturer with Gn’R, their biggest recent seller accounting for (I think) 1,500 total in units. Most of the other smaller manufacturers apparently manage mid-three digits for every release, with one outlier (who I’m sure you can guess at and it’s not AP) who has sold an estimated 20-50 of their releases, absolute max.

I can’t find the stats I saw, but there are some more here (presumably the same source): https://pinballmag.fr/en/number-of-pinball-machines-produced-the-end-is-nigh/

IIRC, it’s split about 50/50 between venues and home use in the States, so I’d guess that about 2k of Stern’s production is LEs, Prems and Pros for home use, and 2k is Pros for location play. As they make more Pros than Premiums, and there are now about 1,000 LEs, people like me have rare limited Premium editions of Stern’s top pins 😛

Last edited:
Turnover, not profit. If an average NIB machine is around £10k with a few accessories etc. added to the order then just over 300 machines would get you there. Bit more if you sell more Pro than Prem.

I would estimate Stern turn over in the region of $25-35m if we can loosely estimate that they sell 5k machines a year to distros at $5-7k a machine. Obviously I’m not a distro and don’t know the pricing they offer to Electrocoin and other first level distros but I reckon it has to be in that region for anybody to make money. And the sales figures are a total guess as Stern don’t publish them!
I no its not profit and 20% of it is going straight to the gov but none the less its an very impressive number for a small company!

Stern told me directly that Godzilla was their biggest ever seller and probably second to Addams Family in the all time list which I thought was interesting.
No surprise there, everyone owns one, I see so many at league meets I'm sick of the game 🤣
Anyone thinking this game going to hold it's value on the second hand market is delusional (well for the next 10 years). There just too many!

I'd be all in on a TAF remake. Surely it's on the list if the licensing isn't an issue
I suspect the licence would be a problem, unless you changed the graphics to comic

You would need to get permission from all the actors and the estate of Raul

Stern told me directly that Godzilla was their biggest ever seller and probably second to Addams Family in the all time list which I thought was interesting.
not sure i believe that sales are anywhere near an addams level, but its nice promo spiel..

I don't know but units do turn up in unusual locations - hotel foyers etc.

My friend sent me this pic last night. He is in a hotel on Cyprus

Attachments

• IMG-20240826-WA0000.webp
    IMG-20240826-WA0000.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 91
Changing the art on a TAF would be an interesting solution if the only thing holding it back is a licensing issue.

Much as I love the original artwork I’m not certain how much of a deal breaker it would be for people who were too young for the film.
What’s the odds they just keep the game exactly the same as rebrand it as a “Wednesday” edition?

Can’t see it would sell anything like as much as a “normal” version but it’s the obvious title to remake in some form or other.

not sure i believe that sales are anywhere near an addams level, but its nice promo spiel..

No mate, sorry, I must have worded it badly.

They said that they believed it to be the second biggest selling pinball machine in history. They certainly didn't indicate it was at Addams level.

And it was one Stern employee speaking directly to me so they were not trying to publicise the fact.

Anyway, as I understand it the best selling game in the UK since GZ isn't a Stern.

No bad thing mate, forum seems busier in recent days. I'm certainly refreshing the browser more 😂
Well no one owns any new American pinball, we have one galactic tank force owner. Something has to drive interest!

Talk about Godzilla gives AP something to aim for. That game could have been unlicensed with a T REx, called dino attack

They said that they believed it to be the second biggest selling pinball machine in history. They certainly didn't indicate it was at Addams level.

And it was one Stern employee speaking directly to me so they were not trying to publicise the fact.

Anyway, as I understand it the best selling game in the UK since GZ isn't a Stern.
If they sold more then t2 I’d be surprised aswell.. 🤣

Well no one owns any new American pinball, we have one galactic tank force owner. Something has to drive interest!

I have to be honest, I was very tempted by GTF and don't blame Rob for getting one. . . he doesn't mind being in his exclusive club either. 😉
I was lucky enough to have it here at the same time as Pulp & Elton which I preferred but it was good fun.

I have to be honest, I was very tempted by GTF and don't blame Rob for getting one. . . he doesn't mind being in his exclusive club either. 😉
I was lucky enough to have it here at the same time as Pulp & Elton which I preferred but it was good fun.
It's looks a cool game, in this instance I wasn't criticising AP. Having borrowed a houndi I really liked it and want to play some of there others, except the barbecue one that looks 💩.

Funny why know ones bought any, to be fair they don't play well on site, they break, but most of us are home use only users and had zero issues with Houdini at home, on site bits of it fell apart. I've heard from others AP aren't good to site.

The price of all pinball doesn't help, I'm guessing there will be worry that reselling will be difficult, shame because unlike the turd that is spinal tap, AP games get an unnecessary bad rep. Probably the sheep syndrome some with a strong viewpoint says there crap, then everyone else does without ever actually playing one.

True.

I'm tempted by Barry O's as it will probably be the only one to reach these shores.

There's something about watching meat cooking that appeals to a very wrong part of me.
Yeh I think the person who buys it might have the last laugh in future, due to the rarity of it.

According to Pinside:

Bally Eight Ball, designed in February 1977 and released in September of the same year, with a Production-Run of 20,230 Units, held the position of the most successful Flipper-Game of all time until 1992, when The Addams Family took over with 20,270 Units, followed later with 1000 more for a Special-Edition.

So has Godzilla sold over 20,230 units? Can't imagine it tbh.

There's something about watching meat cooking that appeals to a very wrong part of me.
The mode I remember playing on BBQ Challenge at Pinfest involved a video of a woman’s black rubber gloved hand feeling up a large pile of shredded ham. Not sure which sort of movie it was from, but there are only a limited range of candidates 😈
If they sold more then t2 I’d be surprised aswell.. 🤣
They don’t release official statistics, but someone (TWIP, I think) has estimated they’ve sold about 10k Godzilla.

Well Godzilla is the biggest selling machine for stern and probably the biggest selling machine since the 90s which was 24 years ago!

I would have thought between 8 to 10 thousand units

Bring up 30, 40 year old stats is like bringing up single, album sales for modern artists, it's a pointless comparison as the market has totally changed, it's amazing when you think back to the early 2000 that stern are shifting that many units

According to Pinside:

Bally Eight Ball, designed in February 1977 and released in September of the same year, with a Production-Run of 20,230 Units, held the position of the most successful Flipper-Game of all time until 1992, when The Addams Family took over with 20,270 Units, followed later with 1000 more for a Special-Edition.

So has Godzilla sold over 20,230 units? Can't imagine it tbh.

Possibly not mate, I don't really have a dog in the fight and couldn't care less what the second biggest selling machine is/was, I'm just recounting what I was told.

I certainly can't produce Sterns manufacturing figures, it was just anecdotal. Maybe he just meant the biggest seller since Addams?

Stern are notorious for hiding their sales stats, which is a pity. Would love to see how GZ compares with ACDC and Met which were big sellers for Stern apparently.

Stern are notorious for hiding their sales stats, which is a pity. Would love to see how GZ compares with ACDC and Met which were big sellers for Stern apparently.
That would be interesting, useful to see if pinball is growing or declining, as those games are fairly modern

Back
Top Bottom