What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale American Pinball new UK Distributor

David retro

Site Supporter
We are proud to announce we are now a UK Distributor for American Pinball
We will be selling all current production games, accessories and parts
We will have stock of parts for all American pinball games
Offering support to existing American Pinball customers and new buyers
Offering a wide range of options for purchase and delivery
Supported by our 2 year warranty
Free care kits and more
Get in touch today
Let’s get these great games out there
Played an American pinball game at pinfest last week and fancy your own contact us to order yours

Website Info to be updated over weekend
IMG_2472.webp

I do think phil has the right to be slightly ****ed off as he did supply most of the ap line up at pinfest only to be told on social media there is now another distributor as Jim said they need to make games that people want to buy last 3 titles how many have sold Valhalla that would be none barbecue that would be none tank force maybe 2 I think if ap have the perception that Phil is doing a poor job they need to look closer to home what’s the point in stocking parts and accessories if you haven’t sold any pinball s in the first place even at 5k no one is snapping any hand s off for bbq

Was there any exclusivity agreement to start with? Don't see why we can't have more than one company importing these. Competition is good for us consumers!
Totally agree, during his talk David Fix seemed genuinely surprised and concerned at the lack of AP game owners present in the UK and the consensus seemed to be that we were just getting charged far too much and being priced out of the market. I'd absolutely love to own a GTF, but I'm never going to be in a position to buy a NIB game.... We all discussed pricing and he gave the impression that prices here were exceptionally high. It's a bit snakey to do this deal behind Phil's back but totally agree, we need competition otherwise NIBs will just endlessly skyrocket in price

Totally agree, during his talk David Fix seemed genuinely surprised and concerned at the lack of AP game owners present in the UK and the consensus seemed to be that we were just getting charged far too much and being priced out of the market. I'd absolutely love to own a GTF, but I'm never going to be in a position to buy a NIB game.... We all discussed pricing and he gave the impression that prices here were exceptionally high. It's a bit snakey to do this deal behind Phil's back but totally agree, we need competition otherwise NIBs will just endlessly skyrocket in price
because its 10 grand!!!! you better like it too as they are hell to sell on. I reckon you'd lose 5K selling so why buy in the first place? after hot wheels, I'll stick to Stern thanks.

Tank force seems to be the best theme i think so far, if they get binned off from phil at the 5k level i'd take a punt, but ap games and especially other themes need to be alot less to make inroads on other manufacturers here. I would be careful to believe what david fix says to... I'm sure phil is not getting mega rich from ap sale profit!! lol

I'm reminded of gary sterns legendary comment for some reason..

'Come on in, The waters Cold..'

Best of luck :)

Tank force seems to be the best theme i think so far, if they get binned off from phil at the 5k level i'd take a punt, but ap games and especially other themes need to be alot less to make inroads on other manufacturers here. I would be careful to believe what david fix says to... I'm sure phil is not getting mega rich from ap sale profit!! lol

I'm reminded of gary sterns legendary comment for some reason..

'Come on in, The waters Cold..'

Best of luck :)
I disagree, I think Hot Wheels is their best theme (which unsurprisingly is their only licenced theme) and it should have been a huge seller, but the game is boring and has a poor layout. I actually bought one on theme alone, but was very disappointed and sold it on.

I hope they get a good licenced theme and make a good, fun game, as the build quality is there.

I think it's pretty poor form of AP not to discuss sales strategy with their distributors.

If they wanted to increase market share there is a very easy way to do that. Then when the customer base is there, they could increase their distribution network.

Seems like a sideways step.

Was there any exclusivity agreement to start with? Don't see why we can't have more than one company importing these. Competition is good for us consumers!
But if you are selling no games of the previous 2 titles then there is no competition
There is not a great profit margin on ap so you would be foolish to drop the price
If you sold say 5 you have to get them here also and minimum size container is 20ft so your shipping cost alone has eaten all your profit up
Did David fix mention he was going to reduce the price ? If he says we are paying too much yanks seem to be under the impression we should sell the same amount of pins that they do in the USA

I suspected David Fix was doing this deal from his Pinfest talk, but I assumed there was no exclusivity and Phil knew... 😲

David Fix talked a lot about high prices, increasing player base, getting more pins on location, and how impressive he found @David retro in almost the same breath. IIRC, at one point, he said how @David retro was going to "revolutionalise pinball in the UK", which was a big claim if he was just going to supply spare AP parts!! Around the same time in the talk, he mentioned the Chicago Pinball Expo (I think) and how twenty years ago, it was the same size as Pinfest - the implication being, in twenty years, the UK could have a pinball scene the size of CPE.

i sensed the driving goal of the talk (and AP pins in the Pinfest main hall) was to try to penetrate a new market, and David Fix saw the barriers as a combination of lack of exposure to AP pins (at shows and on location) and high prices. He also seemed to buy into the idea that pinball is dying because it's dominated by nostalgia collectors. Not sure how that fits in though.

Last edited:
😂😂😂😂 glad I had a nap Saturday afternoon as he must have been ****ed or high saying all that just goes to show how much he actually knows about the Uk market if he wants to capture the Uk market he would have to reduce the price by 50% and make pins that last more than 2 days on site before breaking and ones that actually appeal to the non pinball person I don’t often agree on much Kanada says but I think he is correct about David fix he is delusional

Free care kits and more
Get in touch today
Played an American pinball game at pinfest last week and fancy your own contact us to order yours

This is fantastic News. Good Job David!

My take on this is:
1. If you have an existing distributor in a territory, exclusive or not, you should pre-inform them if you are thinking of signing up a new distributor. It’s just the right and proper way to conduct yourself in the business world.
2. If 1. Happened then I apologise to AP
3. If 1. Didn’t happen then AP are at fault and lose my respect.
4. Business is cut-throat- fact! competition is healthy as it keeps prices in check for customers, old timers get challenged by new upstarts all the time in all markets.
5. The way you handle yourself in public, in times of defeat or in times of success, are of paramount importance.
6. Don’t be a cnut to your suppliers, customers or competitors. Karma bites your ass sooner or later.

Last edited:
Free care kits and more
Get in touch today

View attachment 259400
Great news Dave, congratulations. 👍

I suspected David Fix was doing this deal from his Pinfest talk, but I assumed there was no exclusivity and Phil knew... 😲

David Fix talked a lot about high prices, increasing player base, getting more pins on location, and how impressive he found @David retro in almost the same breath. IIRC, at one point, he said how @David retro was going to "revolutionalise pinball in the UK", which was a big claim if he was just going to supply spare AP parts!! Around the same time in the talk, he mentioned the Chicago Pinball Expo (I think) and how twenty years ago, it was the same size as Pinfest - the implication being, in twenty years, the UK could have a pinball scene the size of CPE.

i sensed the driving goal of the talk (and AP pins in the Pinfest main hall) was to try to penetrate a new market, and David Fix saw the barriers as a combination of lack of exposure to AP pins (at shows and on location) and high prices. He also seemed to buy into the idea that pinball is dying because it's dominated by nostalgia collectors. Not sure how that fits in though.
Thanks for taking the time to write this, interesting info and good to know a summary of the talk when i couldn't be at Pinfest this year.. I've heard fix talk at expo a few times to, so its 'with a pinch of salt' what he says I believe

Thanks for taking the time to write this, interesting info and good to know a summary of the talk when i couldn't be at Pinfest this year.. I've heard fix talk at expo a few times to, so its 'with a pinch of salt' what he says I believe
The talk will be uploaded soon I believe
Thanks, @Big Phil.

I’d wait for the talk, @myPinballs, as what I’ve written’s not close to a summary :)

David Fix was talking for close to two hours (I left after ~ 90 minutes when he started running a trivia quiz to win AP merch), covering quite a lot of ground in the process.

He spent a comparative lot of time talking about BBQ Challenge, despite admitting upfront this is was a pretty American-centric theme that probably didn’t resonate that well with a British audience. If I were him, I’d have spent the time talking about GTF (but, then again, BBQ Challenge is AP’s new pin).

He also addressed some of the Pinside concerns about AP, including rumours they were going bust and/or their parent company Aimtron were about to pull the plug. He said Aimtron see AP as a growing concern that doesn’t have to make a profit every year, provided it’s on a general upward profit trend.

Also, he spent a lot of time on:
  • What AP were doing to improve quality control (there’d been some complaints about the tank target mounting and a batch of magnetised balls);
  • His work on building a strong team since he joined the company in 2020, and also;
  • Addressing concerns about future repairability in light of the recent failure of Haggis Pinball. He talked about industry-standard parts, a commitment to long-term repairability and backward compatibility, his drive to improve customer service and have distributors stock replacement parts, etc.
Much of the QC stuff was relevant to people in the room - he was in audience dialogue for several minutes with @mission65 and @Mike Parkins who’d been stung by Heighway Pinball’s Full Throttle having a high percentage of non-industry-standard parts. David Fix apparently himself owns a Full Throttle.

He spent some time talking about high licensing costs and restrictions too, explaining that AP is focusing on unlicensed themes as a means of keeping costs down, as that’s what Bally-Williams did starting out. He claims an unnamed company had to pay something like £2 million just to get the door open on the Harry Potter license, with (presumably) higher fees for individual sound/character assets, and that’s a big deal when a pin already costs £1.5 million in research and development. He said even cheaper licences can cost £100k upwards to open a conversation with the licensor, and then there are further costs if they want things changing.

He talked a lot without much chance for questions, which was a bit of a shame. I asked how AP chooses their themes, and IIRC Houdini/GTF were chosen because magic- and space/B-movie themes traditionally sell well in pinball, and Oktoberfest/BBQ Challenge were because employees working on the projects were fans.

As I knew, going in, it was going to be a marketing pitch, I was listening to what he both chose to talk about and also *didn’t* talk about.

My takeaway was that he evidently views his buyer base (currently) as big collectors. He did a quick audience quiz before the talk started, and his first question was how many people owned 5, 10, 15, 20, 100, 150+ pins. I don’t know what he was expecting, but the numbers dropped down to an embarrassed-looking @mission65 shortly after the 10-pin mark. There simply aren’t many mega-collectors here in the UK.

He also visibly name-checked the ‘death of pinball’ hypothesis, which runs that pinball sales are being sustained by a rapidly-aging cohort of nostalgia collectors and that - to recapture the magic - there needs to be work to grow the player base. I know that he’ll have pre-prepared the speech, but I found it a bit strange as Pinfest is as young demographically as I’ve seen it in the three years I’ve been attending and, although @MajesticPinball and I aren’t exactly teens, we’re visibly under-50 and were literally sat in the front row! Anyway, it didn’t land quite right - rather as if you name-checked the aging population crisis in a room full of mums and babies, and then expected everyone present to nod along…

He also didn’t mention AP’s gameplay philosophy in any substantive detail, which I found… interesting, to say the least.

That’s all I can remember off the top of my head. I believed everything he did say, and he’s visibly passionate about pinball, but I personally felt his marketing strategy was a bit off.

Last edited:
Did he comment on their complete lack of support and technical service to their US customers?

He was obviously trying to address it without being overt about it.

Also, near the beginning of the talk, @SeikoKid raised a question with David Fix about code updates (I think?) and he did that thing marketeers/politicians do where they don’t want the unhappy customer to torpedo their sales pitch, so they ooh and ahh sympathetically and then punt it into the long grass by suggesting a chat afterwards.

But, hey, I’m a cynical b****d, so did David F sort it out in the end @SeikoKid?

Back
Top Bottom