What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone. Clock LEDs flashing constantly.

PaulTAF

Site Supporter
5Years
Hi
Hope someone can help at least point me in the right direction. My Twilight Zone pinball's clock has LEDs in each quarter and they appear to flash all the time. Occasionally one, two or three do it but more often than not all four do. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and even better how to resolve. TIA

Hi
Hope someone can help at least point me in the right direction. My Twilight Zone pinball's clock has LEDs in each quarter and they appear to flash all the time. Occasionally one, two or three do it but more often than not all four do. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and even better how to resolve. TIA
You on a original clock lamp board?

The original board would have expected incandescent bulbs. The board lamps are powered via AC (Alternating Current). Whilst LEDs will power via AC they prefer and work best under DC (Direct Current). AC throws power down both sides of the circuit, one side then the other, as a result you end up with strobing, which to the human eye looks like a flicker.

If that's not what your describing then it could also be corrosion or loose fittings which results in the bulb blinking (slower and longer paced outage). The solution in this case is to clean the contacts of each lamp holder to ensure a better connection.

Finally you can do what I did and just buy a new lamp board with soldered on LED strips. Although this won't fix the 'strobing' I mentioned.

PXL_20241003_123533176.webp

You on a original clock lamp board?

The original board would have expected incandescent bulbs. The board lamps are powered via AC (Alternating Current). Whilst LEDs will power via AC they prefer and work best under DC (Direct Current). AC throws power down both sides of the circuit, one side then the other, as a result you end up with strobing, which to the human eye looks like a flicker.

If that's not what your describing then it could also be corrosion or loose fittings which results in the bulb blinking (slower and longer paced outage). The solution in this case is to clean the contacts of each lamp holder to ensure a better connection.

Finally you can do what I did and just buy a new lamp board with soldered on LED strips. Although this won't fix the 'strobing' I mentioned.

View attachment 262667
Brilliant , I'll check what the set up is and try as you have suggested. Fingers crossed 🤞 Thanks for the information 👍

Are they flashing with any pattern or regularity, or just randomly? Is it flickering or flashing? What you're seeing is the 4 (changeable) SMD LEDs sat in sockets on the PCB behind the clock face.

e.g.

1728037793602.webp

Maybe start by checking your clock board connections - start under the clock and traced back to the backbox connections.

You could also try taking the GI OCD board out of the equation, but I highly doubt it's that if your other GI is working fine.

Ingo's clock board is well regarded for being the most robust option out there - it's why I chose it! Sadly no longer available.

Back
Top Bottom