What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching up Sales

What do you think would be the best way of handling user adverts on the forum?

• Leave it as it is - However those that dislike comments need to understand thats how it is here.

Votes: 105 45.1%
  • Leave it as it is - However remove the ability to post comments

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Move to a new system (basics illustrated)

Votes: 55 23.6%
  • Move to new system, however allow poster to choose on ad creation (see below)

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Not fussed either way!

Votes: 41 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Staff member
Hi all,

I am contamplating (as part of the forum "upgrade" which is looming ever closer on the horizon) re-adding the "classifieds" section. This would give the following advantages :

1. Each Sales Ad would be valid for a number of days, after which it would need to be renewed or it would lapse. You can view all your ads in one place, and i believe renewing is just a one click afair.
Wanted Ads and also Trades could have different validity dates... so for example Wanted could have a maximum of 12 months, Trades could have a validity of 4 months.
2. Because of #1 above, it would mean that users would only get to see by default those items that were actually "current/Active" (although if i remember correctly users could still view stuff that had lapsed by filtering)
3. It would mean that we could pull figures based around items and what they sold for. Maybe If i could convince a the developer he could add a field which was only visible to Admins where the seller could advise the Actual price it was sold for in confidence, so we could get more accurate figures plus changes over time?
4. User can ask questions rather than partake in a discussion thread - questions would go directly to the seller and responses publicly shown.... Means that possibly we could do away with comments altogether?
5. This automatically includes a feedback system... i.e. Positive/Neutral/Negative which means people could see feedback on items purchased from that seller in the past.
6. People who sell Mods etc could add their items too - and in fact i believe there is the ability to allow multiples of items (example - Qty10 available)

Disadvantages :

1. These dont fall under the existing "thread" listings - They are part of the site, however a separate tab at the top
2. People who want to post multiple items in the same thread would have to post them each separately (Maybe we could have something separate for people having a "clearout" elsewhere on the forum... which may aleviate this issue.

I'm sure there are more to the above. With regards to look - obviously would need to be styled, but something like this :

1722693312740.png
1722693373790.png

1722693598669.png

Yes, Granted, it will take a little more time to post something rather than stick a post up... maybe 2 mins as opposed to 30 seconds. It's worthwhile remembering here any benefits that it might give vs current status - As someone once said to me... Crap in Crap out... you can only get out what you put into something.

Will be interesting to see the results of the poll attached! I _Think_ people have the ability to add any other option to the poll thats not currently listed..please dont abuse it!!

Going to leave this poll open until Wednesday 7th @ 23:59 - mainly because i would like to give chance for those that "have a life on weekends" and dont get to come here then!

Attachments

• 1722693063951.png
    1722693063951.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
This also might be a good point to consider allowing non-site supporters to post ad's. But with limiting factor being joined/Registered member of forum for over X years.

Nah. If you’re too tight to donate £10 then you’re clearly going to overprice yer pin for sale anyway.
I just wonder how many extra listings would be if this limit lifted. This would increase site traffic (Good thing).
Also this limit on posting ad extends to parts?

Last edited:
Like the proposed new format above, and it stops anyone high jacking threads and affecting the original for sale item 🤷‍♂️

Charging is fine but £5 for a parts advert depends on what your selling price is. I just sold some Addams Family insert decal set ( I used one from the set) for £10 incl postage, they cost me £45 to buy, so with a proposed £5 fee and the £2 postage I’d get £4 so would of advertised at £15 or I may as well of kept them🤷‍♂️

This also might be a good point to consider allowing non-site supporters to post ad's. But with limiting factor being joined/Registered member of forum for over X years.
Site supporters contributions along with Rom burning for people and coin mech programming just about cover the costs to cover the hosting and software/add-ons. You would not believe how expensive these work out... I couldnt finance that myself now.

I just wonder how many extra listings would be if this limit lifted. This would increase site traffic (Good thing).
Also this limit on posting ad extends to parts?

Probably lots, however as someone else has mentioned, it would be a free for all and there would be SO many scam listings... You wouldnt believe the number of people registering via proxy servers or trying to register from locations like Africa or China. It;s the only reason why we have kept manual approval for new registrations.
There are also multiple other "mechanisms" in place to try to stop those "less desireables" on the site.

Charge for it -
£10 an advert.
£5 for a parts advert.

Stop all the ‘no longer available’ posts the same people stick up without paying !

Cheaper than ebay!

On the "classifieds" part, I can set it a number of ways - % per sale, pay per advert... lots of different ways.
% per sale only really works if paying Via paypal, which as we know tends not to happen as if you buy a machine :D

I dont like change, but if i am honest the classifieds system actually is a good option - key to me is the ability to put seller ratings (buy with more confidence) and also the management of the section.

Just to add - I have had a reply from the developer -:

CAS includes permission that allow the Ad Owner to Lock/Unlock comments and questions.
1722714597706.png

Note: This is a POST CREATE feature, so they would need to create the Ad, then after the Ad is posted, they can choose to lock comments (and or questions) if they want to. I wouldn't be opposed to adding check boxes to lock comments and lock questions upon Ad Creation (contact me if you want to fund that).

They can Lock, then unlock, then lock, then unlock as many times as they want to as long as you give them permission to do so (and this can be set on a Per Category Basis as CAS has Category Permissions, just like Forums have Node Permissions).

So it is possible. I'll add another option to the poll - Those that have voted can change their votes if this is something that you believe is worthwhile, however dependong on the cost i would be insisting on being able to set at ad creation, so would be wanting to fund that as i think it would be something worthwhile.

I voted to keep things like they are, seems most comments on sales are supportive, filling in a bit of backstory on who owned previously or vouching for the seller as being trustworthy.
Other than a couple of occasions, most comments about price seem to come about after its sat for a while with little interest.

But no strong feelings either way really, the 'new' style looks fine too,

No you can't. A misnomer here and ebay is that the listed price is the sell price.
Maybe If i could convince a the developer he could add a field which was only visible to Admins where the seller could advise the Actual price it was sold for in confidence, so we could get more accurate figures plus changes over time?

how about auto adding links to previous sales for the machine being listed. Makes it easier for potential buyers to make an assessment.

An example. My potc listed here, sold elsewhere. Why should I disclose the selling price. Maybe the buyer doesn't want that disclosed.
Your choice. Some may not have a problem. Others may have. The more accurate the actual prices are, the more accurate the price outputs maybe... Simples! :D

i like it how it is, as we humans do not like change.
but i appreciate that this site needs to raise funs to meet costs so am also happy to see ads from any pinball-related sources, just not from KFC and Amazon just yet

I don't think parts sales should be £5. I have some plastics to sell for a tenner, so a 50% loss would make me not post or I artificially inflate the price.. And that means someone here is potentially losing out on some much needed spares! Could you do it on value? So if over £100, that kicks in a 10% fee? Or is that too complicated and I am talking out my **** again...

Comments are helpful for pointing out things a potential buyer or seller may not have noticed/mentioned aka worn inserts/planking/board damage etc. Not all users are as eagle eyed or as well versed as others who are in the hobby longer

At the moment, we have people posting everything from "I owned this machine", "you can trust this guy", "I can't believe this hasn't sold at this price", "This is way overpriced" to "I hate TAF, and I should know as I have owned 4".
Sometimes, we have both ends of the spectrum posting, how does this help a new person, how does it influence someone long term in the community?

And Epotech points out that some sellers may not want to disclose what they let it go for, or the buyer may not want anyone to know what they paid. If the community itself wants to hide the price agreed, then any observer can't actually know if the next one being sold is a good price.

At the moment, some people are not posting for sale here because they feel allowing people to openly post and be judged puts them off. The negative is, we don't get to see these items come up for sale here.

Paul has confirmed the option to do "Move to new system, however allow poster to choose on ad creation (see below)". That delivers for thoses who are not fussed, those who want comments and those who don't want comments. What it removes is the banter for those who like comments when someone who doesn't like them sells without comments. This feels like a small trade off.

Looks like the old way is staying if you are going by the vote!

How long is the vote open for?

At the moment, we have people posting everything from "I owned this machine", "you can trust this guy", "I can't believe this hasn't sold at this price", "This is way overpriced" to "I hate TAF, and I should know as I have owned 4".
Sometimes, we have both ends of the spectrum posting, how does this help a new person, how does it influence someone long term in the community?

And Epotech points out that some sellers may not want to disclose what they let it go for, or the buyer may not want anyone to know what they paid. If the community itself wants to hide the price agreed, then any observer can't actually know if the next one being sold is a good price.

At the moment, some people are not posting for sale here because they feel allowing people to openly post and be judged puts them off. The negative is, we don't get to see these items come up for sale here.

Paul has confirmed the option to do "Move to new system, however allow poster to choose on ad creation (see below)". That delivers for thoses who are not fussed, those who want comments and those who don't want comments. What it removes is the banter for those who like comments when someone who doesn't like them sells without comments. This feels like a small trade off.
This is a good summary and helped me clarify my thoughts. I've changed my vote to support the change (with choice for poster to allow/disallow comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom