What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub £1k Vpin… too ambitious?

Benner

Site Supporter
Hi all,

I have been looking for a machine for what feels like forever, and my issues are twofold- budget and space. I originally wanted a regular pin, but soon discovered that I was hindered by my sub 65cm wide, and approx sub 120cm length. So I have given up on that and decided that a vpin is the way forward.

As many novices I expect do, I googled and stumbled across the arcade1up and Atgames machines. Knowing nothing at all, I kept on researching and quickly realised that although functional, my cash would probably be best spent elsewhere.

My issue is - I have £1k max for this. So the question is, have I got a hope in he11s chance of finding anything decent under £1k - or should I just accept what my budget is and go down the Atgames route (seems better than the Arcade1up)? Won’t bore you all with the details, but there is a reason why the £1k is kind of set.

Appreciate any advice/ responses.

Ben

I built my own originally for probably less than 1k, doesn't have any fancy features like solenoid and shakers etc but was good enough at the time.

Got a cheap used SF2 cabinet off here, cheap 40" TV From Curry's, 27" Monitor from eBuyer, free 17" 4:3 from the scrap pile at work and the built my own budget PC with new parts from eBuyer, oh and a Cheap 2.1 speaker kit from Argos, turning the bass up gives a nice feedback for the missing solenoids and shakers.

It's not the fastest and best, it's not 4k and won't run PUP packs for videos etc but was good enough for Pinball FX3 and ran OK in VPX for TNA, Tron and Rollergames which are the only games I added at the time, and had dynamic backglass and DMD with the 3 monitors.

You could save on the 3rd monitor for backglass if not bothered about it changing, much like the A1UP and At Games.

It is currently in pieces awaiting upgrades as passing higher spec PC parts down from my SIM rig as upgraded the PC on that.

I wouldnt bother with the Arcade 1UP pin unless you can get a used one cheap and don't mind upgrading it when the PCB eventually fails. I had one for 6months and then the PCB failed, support said there was no replacements at the time so got a full refund on it.

Hi all,

I have been looking for a machine for what feels like forever, and my issues are twofold- budget and space. I originally wanted a regular pin, but soon discovered that I was hindered by my sub 65cm wide, and approx sub 120cm length. So I have given up on that and decided that a vpin is the way forward.

As many novices I expect do, I googled and stumbled across the arcade1up and Atgames machines. Knowing nothing at all, I kept on researching and quickly realised that although functional, my cash would probably be best spent elsewhere.

My issue is - I have £1k max for this. So the question is, have I got a hope in he11s chance of finding anything decent under £1k - or should I just accept what my budget is and go down the Atgames route (seems better than the Arcade1up)? Won’t bore you all with the details, but there is a reason why the £1k is kind of set.

Appreciate any advice/ responses.

Ben
Hi Ben, I started the same way with a Vpin from Arcadeland.co.uk although I think they changed their name to something else now, give them a google. I wouldn't waste your money on a 1up or AtGames as they will be fine as a quick fix but you'll soon get bored of them with the few games that are there.
All the good Vpins have a beefy PC running the graphically demanding VPX/FUTURE PINBALL tables and PUP Packs inside them and will cost you way more than a Grand mate. time you have finished your the same price range as getting yourself a nice real machine from someone here. The one good thing with the AtGames machine is if at some point you get hold of a good pc or laptop you can hook that up to it and run your VPX tables via OTG through it.
Any questions mate hit me up on DM if you want. Good luck

Hi Benner

I think if you're willing to gradually upgrade and in no rush then probably is possible. Sourcing parts from Freecycle, marketplace and other places will help keep the price down.

If you go down the self build can route then going for a widebody cabinet will enable you to fit a 4k screen for the playfield in the future as I haven't seen many of any 40" 4k screens (and the widebody seems to take screens up to 43" which are 4k or 1080p)

There's a site that has plans for both standard and widebody cabs which is worth looking at... Can't think of hand but if you Google pinscape it should link to it.

I'm at a juncture of real or vpin at the moment. Currently Im using my laptop driving a 37" Freecycle TV in a box made from laminated cardboard (which was an experiment to see how strong laminated cardboard could be). Cost me £50 in total (that was for the arcade controls!!). Sure it doesn't look like a pinball and hasn't got all the bells and whistles but it was low cost entry and it's been used several times at my daughter's school fete now and the kids love it.

I think the bottom line is don't rush and if you can build your own, you can future proof it to an extent then and upgrade/add bits as and when funds allow.

My advice would be to spend the £1k on a decent pc, rotatable monitor with low lag (as in, can swivel to portrait on its stand) and a bog standard small monitor to use for your boxbox/dmd display.
You can probably get a pretty good pc for say £700/£800 used of you know what you are looking for* and a good used monitor pretty cheap (I think it was 2 xmas' ago I got a £4k monitor for £100 - usually people pretty.much give them away)
I say this, as you could then learn how Visual pinball works (all in one installer is super easy these days) and how to add tables/set up controlls etc, and you could also use the pc to play arcade games (get a xb360 madcatz TE stick cheap these days or an X-arcade stick with flupper buttons) - swivel monitor great for TATE orientated shmups...

I think that way you can enjoy visual pinball X (also recommend pinball fx3/zen pinball) and learn how to set it up, then when a donor cab comes up and you know virtual pinball is for you, then get some advice on transplanting your existing setup to a cab (can always have your desktop PC sitting under the cab, like I used to) and adding stuff like a digital plunger etc.
Could also look into getting a Quest 3 headset and using that with the pc for Visual pinball X in VR, although my limited experience with a Quest 2 headset I used to have, was that I wouldn't want to wear the headset for very long stretches of time.

My advice would be to spend the £1k on a decent pc, rotatable monitor with low lag (as in, can swivel to portrait on its stand) and a bog standard small monitor to use for your boxbox/dmd display.
You can probably get a pretty good pc for say £700/£800 used of you know what you are looking for* and a good used monitor pretty cheap (I think it was 2 xmas' ago I got a £4k monitor for £100 - usually people pretty.much give them away)
I say this, as you could then learn how Visual pinball works (all in one installer is super easy these days) and how to add tables/set up controlls etc, and you could also use the pc to play arcade games (get a xb360 madcatz TE stick cheap these days or an X-arcade stick with flupper buttons) - swivel monitor great for TATE orientated shmups...

I think that way you can enjoy visual pinball X (also recommend pinball fx3/zen pinball) and learn how to set it up, then when a donor cab comes up and you know virtual pinball is for you, then get some advice on transplanting your existing setup to a cab (can always have your desktop PC sitting under the cab, like I used to) and adding stuff like a digital plunger etc.
Could also look into getting a Quest 3 headset and using that with the pc for Visual pinball X in VR, although my limited experience with a Quest 2 headset I used to have, was that I wouldn't want to wear the headset for very long stretches of time.
Yes I have used my Meta Quest 3 for VPX and it is brilliant for this, the resolution of these now is top notch.

You could build one for 1K if you "limited" yourself to 27" playfield monitor and stuck with exciters for feedback.... critically buy the PC bits 2nd hand.... you'd even be able to get a "proper" DMD in that budget.

You could build one for 1K if you "limited" yourself to 27" playfield monitor and stuck with exciters for feedback.... critically buy the PC bits 2nd hand.... you'd even be able to get a "proper" DMD in that budget.

You can definately do a 1080P 40" setup for under 1K, none of the feedback stuff just a decent 2.1 speaker setup, all the shakers and knockers etc an be added later on they are not needed to start off with.

Another one for the OP to look at but if in doubt ask @Pick Holder for his opinion.

Last edited:
Another one for the OP to look at but if in doubt ask @Pick Holder for his opinion.

It is arcade land. Depends how old it is. Would not like to comment. I have had to sort out the older machines they built in earlier days of the business then I would say they are not much good.... But apparently the newer builds are better but after you have made loads you should be good at it. I have no idea why they have changed their name in recent time.

You would struggle building one for a grand. Even with 2nd hand parts.

Cabinet ply - £120
Side rails - £30 (used)
Legs - £40 (used)
Backbox hinges - £25 (used)
Leg plates - £30
Hardware - £25
Coind door - £50 (used)
Amplifier - £25
Speakers - £60
Lockdown bar and holder - £75 (used)
Buttons, contacts, LEDs, microswitches - £50
Screen HD - £80 (used)
Pinscape board - £60
1 TB SSD - £100
GT1050TI 4gb (for 1080) - £75 (used)
Pin 2 dmd - £230 or stretched LED screen - £110.
Backglass screen - 60 (used)
Playfield screen - 60 (used)
Plunger, pot, bracket etc - £100
Cables from GFX to monitors - £20
PC suitable - £100 (used)
PSU to run screens/amp etc - ATX - £30 (dont use PC one)
PAC DRIVE (Special software board) - £30 ? (can not remember!)
Solid state relay to control all power from PC - £20
Playfield glass - £20 (used)

To add solenoids:
Power supply - £30
Solenoids - £25 each (I use 8 in most of my builds)
Relay card - £15

There are tons of things I have forgotten here.

Getting one persons unfinished project is also a good way to go.

I would use a standard size cab as things like lockdown bars and glass already fit.

Oh - if you are building your own cab - good luck. It will take time and energy......

In recent times I have had to pay STUPID prices for a used stern cabinet but it is easier than starting from scratch and even at £600 it is a lot easier.

The older the system the more lag it usually has - also running 4K on a video card that struggles will not be a pleasurable route to take. My opinion is a playfield 32inch or under 1080 is good enough.

I actually still rate my ultrapin. Made in 2007 with less lag than alot of the modern tables I have played. But that is over your £1K budget.

I built my own originally for probably less than 1k, doesn't have any fancy features like solenoid and shakers etc but was good enough at the time.

Got a cheap used SF2 cabinet off here, cheap 40" TV From Curry's, 27" Monitor from eBuyer, free 17" 4:3 from the scrap pile at work and the built my own budget PC with new parts from eBuyer, oh and a Cheap 2.1 speaker kit from Argos, turning the bass up gives a nice feedback for the missing solenoids and shakers.

It's not the fastest and best, it's not 4k and won't run PUP packs for videos etc but was good enough for Pinball FX3 and ran OK in VPX for TNA, Tron and Rollergames which are the only games I added at the time, and had dynamic backglass and DMD with the 3 monitors.

You could save on the 3rd monitor for backglass if not bothered about it changing, much like the A1UP and At Games.

It is currently in pieces awaiting upgrades as passing higher spec PC parts down from my SIM rig as upgraded the PC on that.

I wouldnt bother with the Arcade 1UP pin unless you can get a used one cheap and don't mind upgrading it when the PCB eventually fails. I had one for 6months and then the PCB failed, support said there was no replacements at the time so got a full refund on it.
A good money saving tip is to use your main pc for the pinball cabinet as well. Then you'll just need a couple of old monitors for the backglass and dmd and a TV for the playfield.

A good money saving tip is to use your main pc for the pinball cabinet as well. Then you'll just need a couple of old monitors for the backglass and dmd and a TV for the playfield.
Really? I do not think this would be a recommendation I would give out or follow unless I was really on a low budget.
The major issue being windows updates!
I tell most people who own a pincab to keep their computer offline. Do any updates with USB sticks. The main reason is windows updates love messing with your screen order, aspect ratios and positioning.
There is zero reason why you need to have a cab online. Even if you use PinballFX3 there is an offline function you can set up so it doesnt 'phone home' on every launch.
The only screen that is really important is the playfield - but I tend to shy away from TVs and use monitors.
Nothing worse than using a TV that you have to turn on with a remote control everytime you boot your cab up.

The other reason I use monitors over TVs is that monitors tend to be harder wearing. TVs can be very thin and break easily. Especially if you are mad enough to decase one to fit it into your cabinet.

These are amazing for DMD displays. They do one for £20 cheaper without the metal case....

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 23.10.49.webp

Really? I do not think this would be a recommendation I would give out or follow unless I was really on a low budget.
The major issue being windows updates!
I tell most people who own a pincab to keep their computer offline. Do any updates with USB sticks. The main reason is windows updates love messing with your screen order, aspect ratios and positioning.
There is zero reason why you need to have a cab online. Even if you use PinballFX3 there is an offline function you can set up so it doesnt 'phone home' on every launch.
The only screen that is really important is the playfield - but I tend to shy away from TVs and use monitors.
Nothing worse than using a TV that you have to turn on with a remote control everytime you boot your cab up.

The other reason I use monitors over TVs is that monitors tend to be harder wearing. TVs can be very thin and break easily. Especially if you are mad enough to decase one to fit it into your cabinet.

These are amazing for DMD displays. They do one for £20 cheaper without the metal case....

View attachment 260787

I used a 42" oled at 120 Hz and I did plan to get a separate pc but so far it works really well though I'm sure windows update will be appearing soon to bugger everything up. I don't think it's perfect but for someone that wants a vpin i think it's worth considering.

I used a 42" oled at 120 Hz and I did plan to get a separate pc but so far it works really well though I'm sure windows update will be appearing soon to bugger everything up. I don't think it's perfect but for someone that wants a vpin i think it's worth considering.
The way windows 10/11 is now I am considering going back to win7 next time I do a build.

I am a kinda 'if it aint broke' kind of person. The earlier win10 seemed okay but now having to log in with accounts etc seems a pain.

The jukeboxes I work on (sound leisure) and ATMs work on WinXP mainly some are on win7 but only a few.

I dont think your idea is awful - just problematic with windows.

You can run VPX on an old i3/i5 3.4ghz processor with 16gb ram (8 at a push!). All down to the graphic card. I do not know many people unless they are gamers who have a good enough GPU in their home PC. You can of course get away with more on a 1080/720 screen.

Back
Top Bottom