What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re: For Sale section

Triple H

Site Supporter
I am continuing this topic but am taking it away from the 'eBay Auctions' thread.

I will be doing this again in the "big summer clean-up" i do every year... Basically "expire" anything for sale over 3 months old thats had no activity in a month

I don't really think this action should be necessarily down to the Moderators to perform. It can't be that hard for the original poster of an advert to take responsibility for their own listing can it?
If I had concluded a sale as a result of one of my adverts then I would definitely be marking the the thread as Sold and I know that a good many people do that now too.

Maybe it could be a stipulation in the Terms of posting an advert in the Machines For Sale section of the site that people return to edit their listings title to include the appropriate marker which will ensure that we forum users know the state of play. 👍

IMO..

A forum alert/informational banner: "you have 3 stale sale threads" should fix it.

It appears when the thread is > 8 weeks (eg) without reply.

Then an automatic pruning for members who havnt logged in for 6 months and whose thread is stale.

T&Cs will not help and the problem should be the responsibility of the user, not tranferred to a mod to clean up and double handle.

I will add that's it's not really the users fault, people have tons of **** on in their lives that takes priority over remembering to admin the status of a pinball forum post.

It's just an evolution of the forum that is needed. Yes it's a problem, but systems need to allow for human nature at scale.

Maybe the time is right to re-investigate the "classifieds" system i tried to put in place several years ago, which did all this automatically.

Currently there is no way to do this, and wouuld require a custom add-on, costs of which is well outside the forum budget (developing anything is really expensive!)

IMO the whole for sale needs a revamp. Maybe the option to list as a classified i.e. not a thread but a listed item. The whole POTC debacle shows why this is needed.
Also the title should be the category (FS, FT etc) as now, the item and THE SELLING PRICE. times i've hunted through the listing trying to find it.

IMO the whole for sale needs a revamp. Maybe the option to list as a classified i.e. not a thread but a listed item. The whole POTC debacle shows why this is needed.
Also the title should be the category (FS, FT etc) as now, the item and THE SELLING PRICE. times i've hunted through the listing trying to find it.
I tried last time, however it was met with such a backlash, most saying there was "nothing wrong" with the way we currently do it.

I'm a massive believer in the phrase "the way we do it isnt always the best way"... We should always be looking for ways to improve.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to approach the situation as people dont like change.

A suggestion I'd like to see enforced/enabled is when people post a FS thread with dozens if photos, they can only be loaded as thumbnails, nothing worse than trying to scroll through photos trying to load on poor WiFi or network on your phone.

If you're interested you'll click to open the photos and then scroll through them.

I think the main argument against classified Paul was that the forum thread style is unique and relaxed compared to other selling platforms.

Yes it invites free comment but I personally still like that.

If nothing else you can be audience to the feeling in the community, or contribute to the discussion.

Otherwise there's always ebay if people prefer a closed and controlled sale.

You have something unique here that is clearly still very popular.

Tim

Problem is, when the sales section was last changed people got upset about the new format, but do agree, it shouldn't be up to mods to constantly tidy thing up, we save a huge amount in fees selling here, rather than eBay etc, so out of courtesy we should all be a bit more proactive making sure things are up to date.

IMO if a sales thread hasn't had any activity for 3 months its not going to sell so may as well get rid, no problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom