What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin2DMD power supply

jimjar70

Registered
5Years
Hi,
I've got a 128x32 Pin2DMD inbound from Europe - The intent is to put it into either a DE ST25 (yes I know the ST DMD is 128x16 but I've seen a bigger DMD used with top/bottom lines blanked out by speaker panel), or my VPin as an alternative home.

however, I'm a little confused about the power supply requirements. I expected to see a 12v+ and a gnd line for obvious connections, but all I can see o seller's phot is a +ve flying lead with a crock clip. I zoomed in and the lead is soldered into a +18v point which I would have thought would have been for Stern machines. There are no other obvious power supply lines so does this mean it just takes its power straight from the existing plug (top left on pic, obscured by red/black).

1682267658834.png

TIA.

It wont work in place of a 128x16 in a real pin!

They have different back boards

Put it in your vpin

The board on here steps down to voltages required. So connect to 5-18v

128 x 16. What am I missing?
And do you mean connect the croc clip to 5-18v? I assume the return line would come from the power socket/cable?
I also note that the data cable is bigger than the socket on the board by about 4-6 pins. Do I just line up against pin-1 or does this require an adapter cable of some sort?

Last edited:
It wont work - you need a totally different back board for a 128x16.

Look at your old DMD - and look at the new one - where you going to put the eprom ?

This one is the one you should of bought.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 19.51.07.png

Forgive my ignorance but I don't follow.

Why would I need to use my old DMD ROM? If there is no socket on the backboard (therefore no way to include a particular ROM) what would the DMD with STM32 F429zi interface be used for - especially given that is the first option for configuration on the Pin2DMD installation instructions?

Will this work on another 128x32 pin? If so, how would it without the EPROM socket?

Confuddled... or maybe I'm just being a bit thick!

Last edited:
Because 128x16 displays had the display rom on the back of the PCB.

YOUR BOARD WILL NEVER WORK WITH A 128X16 MACHINE.

It will work with a 128x32 pinball. Assuming its activated and has the correct files for that game on the SD card.

I am not sure how modern you can get the firmware for pin2dmd on that boardset now. It has been years since I have seen one of those. The last time I updated one of those boards firmware was in the first CV19 lockdown.

@MadNat - can you back me up on this.....

I'm not arguing with you - I'm just trying to understand.

I don't get how it would work with a 128x32 table - do they not have game ROMs? And conversely, if they can be made to work with SD Card and files, why the same logic can't be applied to 128x16 DMDs.

Probably be cheaper to buy a new backboard and transplant the other items onto it...

The DMD driver board is on the back of the original data east 128x16 display.

It wont work.

I could go on about the archetecture of the chips required but there in no need.

The guy who runs pin2dmd is called @Lucky1 on here.

Hi there. Thanks for the mention. I’ve never personally installed a PIN2DMD in a DE Game. I do know that some DE games require the “slim” version and ROM installing and some do not.

To answer the original question - the DC-DC converter in the standard EVO panels can convert from 5V to 36V down to 5V. I can’t tell exactly from your pic but your board looks to have the same DC-DC chip installed - so 18v input shouldn’t be a problem.

I’d recommend the OP check this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/t...-guide-to-installing-pin2dmd-evo-in-data-east. It talks about installing in a DE Star Wars. Lots of great details and is a standard EVO board (not Slim) being used.

Hope that thread helps.

Hi,
I've got a 128x32 Pin2DMD inbound from Europe - The intent is to put it into either a DE ST25 (yes I know the ST DMD is 128x16 but I've seen a bigger DMD used with top/bottom lines blanked out by speaker panel), or my VPin as an alternative home.

however, I'm a little confused about the power supply requirements. I expected to see a 12v+ and a gnd line for obvious connections, but all I can see o seller's phot is a +ve flying lead with a crock clip. I zoomed in and the lead is soldered into a +18v point which I would have thought would have been for Stern machines. There are no other obvious power supply lines so does this mean it just takes its power straight from the existing plug (top left on pic, obscured by red/black).

View attachment 200557

TIA.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, just doing some research in to Pin2DMD

What is the red crocodile clip used for here?
I presumed this would be powered through the 12v cable connected to the white 7/8 pin connector (Seen behind the red & black cables in the photo above)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, just doing some research in to Pin2DMD

What is the red crocodile clip used for here?
I presumed this would be powered through the 12v cable connected to the white 7/8 pin connector (Seen behind the red & black cables in the photo above)

If you order one from Retrocity, (he does a discount for pinball info members if I remember correctly) it comes with proper cables, no croc clips or cable taps. So you don't need to worry about the above. Unless you're making your own or buying second hand.

If you order one from Retrocity, (he does a discount for pinball info members if I remember correctly) it comes with proper cables, no croc clips or cable taps. So you don't need to worry about the above. Unless you're making your own or buying second hand.

Noted!
I'm only dreaming, my current DMD is okay on my Party Zone. And I've got to stop spending money on pinball stuff. :D
Just looking at the connectors I figured it would be powered through the 7/8 pins on the photo above (White connectors) to my 12v (J116 I think? off top of my head). And that the red croco clip / wire isnt needed.

Noted!
I'm only dreaming, my current DMD is okay on my Party Zone. And I've got to stop spending money on pinball stuff. :D
Just looking at the connectors I figured it would be powered through the 7/8 pins on the photo above (White connectors) to my 12v (J116 I think? off top of my head). And that the red croco clip / wire isnt needed.

Yeah I'm not sure what that croc clips for. Intact that entire pin2dmd doesn't look like the current ones. It's probably a much older version.

As far as I remember it you do get the power from J116, tapping into the ground and 12vdc.
But the retrocity ones come with a splitter cable to make it easy. Or you can make your own.

If you are fitting a pin2dmd in a real pin then I would advise anyone to put in a power supply.
The EVO boards can take 5v or 12v.
A pin2dmd takes quite a bit of current from your power driver board.
Leave the PSU in the cabinet by the power switch - tap off your L N E from that. Then run a 0.75mm or 1mm 2 core flex to the display.

Back
Top Bottom