What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JM intermittent Ball Launch switch

BurnDizzyBurn

Registered
2 10 Years
Just taken my Jonny Mnemonic out of storage, everything is working fine bar the ball launch switch.

I’m stumped, as the switch is intermittent.

I’ve swapped the switch out with a know good switch, same issue .

All other switches on the row are working fine, wiring all looks to be fine but the switch is just not wanting to work most of the time.

In test the switch will register once in maybe every 20 presses.

Any ideas?

The wiring for cabinet 'matrix' switches passes through the Door Interface board. It arrives from the Cpu board at J3, where pin 1 is Column 1, and pin 3 is Row 1, and feeds out at J7, where they're pins 6 & 10 respectively. So linking these pins in the Switch Test should produce the indication "Switch 1,1 Ball Launch". Though Row 1 is also shown as having multiple connections, from J5 and J8 for the slam switches, these are connected via the diode D1, meaning a diode isn't needed for those actual switches. Going by the schematic, the 'general' cabinet connection for Row 1, J7 pin 10, isn't covered by the diode, so it's a separate connection for the Launch button, JM not having anything else in the cabinet on Row 1. There may be a problem there, e.g. the pin connection, or the diode I presume is attached to the switch itself.

For the Column wiring, the three switches in the cabinet for Col. 1 are Start button, Cone Tilt and Launch button.

Do you still connect to the switch with crimped contacts? If so cut the crimps off and solder the wires directly to the switch. Then report back.

I’ve soldered the switch directly to the wires and the same issue, albeit it’s not registered in test at all for a good few presses.

On further inspection it appears that the slam tilt on the coin door and the base of the cabinet are also not registering. All other switches on the row and column are.

So we have the ball launch switch, Coin door slam tilt and the cabinet base slam tilt all not registering

Finally setting my games up out of storage, after a basement conversion, been out of the game far too long.

Thanks for the help so far

Back
Top Bottom