What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit machines are they worth having ?

♥️

Someone i think has already done this.... see them very occasionally on Ebay/some of the board. Why they havent carried on and filled the gap in the market i dont know... maybe someone has muttered "IP"... :(
Yeah Repoch, it was a clone pcb with new components but the asic and audio chips had to be transferred across as they are long discontinued now and the asic has custom firmware.

My plan is similar but I’ll be designing my own pcb not just straight clone, so will remove a lot of the connectors etc… But I’ll also have to transfer a few chips from doner boards.

@Andy Hancock did you find and buy a fruit machine? My old mate from school days is looking to relive his 80's-90's youth, and have one in his games room. I'm suggesting he goes via a forum/collectiors community so he can get help when it stops working!

Would be grateful to learn from your experience.... thanks

@Andy Hancock did you find and buy a fruit machine? My old mate from school days is looking to relive his 80's-90's youth, and have one in his games room. I'm suggesting he goes via a forum/collectiors community so he can get help when it stops working!

Would be grateful to learn from your experience.... thanks
Sorry no I didn't . On balance I decided I agreed with a lot of the comments that without the gambling aspect I wouldn't enjoy it

@MadNat I've bought and sold a fair few over the past 2 years and the majority of them are really boring without the actual chance of winning of any real money. The older affordable stuff (lates 90s/early 2000s) that had skill features or stuff you knew how you could get the jackpot are more enjoyable than the newer Deal or No Deal kinda thing. I have a few modern things awaiting to be sold (or dumped) but the only one I enjoy actually playing that doesn't cost a nonsense amount is JPMs Red Arrow. Still here (for now - literally the only one I've kept longer than 6 months). The older 80s classics like Grab the Bank, Line Up or Rat Race are around the 2k figure now :'(

Thanks @Jason Catrine - he was showing me an ad for a Deal or No Deal actually... I did question if this was what he really wanted... Around 1982-1988 I only really remember Cops n Robbers and an Andy Capp (Ithink)... at Millers and Tuby's amusements in Whitby there were loads of different ones, can't remember them all...

Someone contacted me looking to sell a Monty Python Flying Circus Fruit Machine Made in 2000, anyone interested? If so PM me and I will pass on your details.

I find a lot of fruits games are very shallow in their coding, all except the 90’s JPM - they can catch you off guard and have loads of player secrets (skill stuff, little in-the-know tricks) to keep you on your toes. Anything after 2000 is ****e. Bigger jackpots killed the fun. The stake to top prize ratio should be low. 20p play with £6 or £8 jp is perfect. 30p/£10 at a push.
Just saw this thread so alittle resurrection. It is interesting that you say JPM were the best in the 90s. :)

I worked for ACE coin who were in telford at that time. Owned by Sega as JPM were to (kind of like 2 subsidiaries). I worked there in 1997 for 9 months or so as a placement job related to my university degree. It was supposed to be a 3-4 month placement to gain experience into the industries you wanted to go into after graduations etc. BUT I had such a great time there, I got asked to stay on all through the summer break etc and I didn't want to leave at the end!!!!! It was possibly the best time of my life!!! I almost sacked of the 3 years completed on the degree (with 1 to go) and just stayed there. I often think about whether I should have done this, but I didn't have the balls to quit my degree in the end lol. I did get a promise of a job though, but a year after they had relocated and merged with JPM themselves in Cardiff, so the in was no longer there :(

The people there in 1997 were some of the best people I ever met. Coders, graphics artists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, bom guys, sound engineers

I was in the mechanical design department using 3d modelling software, which was revolutionary back then. the department was moving from 2d cad drawing to full 3d solid modelling, so I was helping redraw all the cabinets etc. There were 2 fruit machine cab designs iirc, a new one with extrusion frame and front opening and an older one with the back door only access type etc There was also a video quiz machine with a crt in it that I redrew pretty much all the parts for.

The code department was like a hold grail to me. They were always talking about the 'red bulb' modes haha. And there was much talk about checking no-one was putting secret codes in to empty hoppers etc. :)

Thinking about all this is making me want to try and find some of the Ace games from this era. I'd love to see some flyers, or a list of the games that came out in 1997 and around this time. The games I remember being built in the factory were:

Pot of Gold (that was their latest success I think)
Thru' The Roof - was the game in development during my time there I think.

Also, the art department and music departments came to me to ask if I had any pinball related info and images, after a discussion one lunchtime about new ideas, concepts. I lent them a lot of stuff inc some pinball books and audio cds from time shock/pro pinball I think. I am convinced (though I have no way to prove) that the JPM game Pinball Wizard released 1998 is the evolution of this discussion. (Ace was merged with JPM shortly after I left in 1997 to Cardiff) . I remember telling Kirsty, if you make a pinball game you have to put pop bumpers on it!!

Here is the leaving card I got hand made from Kirsty in the art department :)

IMG_3972.JPG

and a thru the roof reel

IMG_3970.JPGIMG_3971.JPG

Last edited:
Just saw this thread so alittle resurrection. It is interesting that you say JPM were the best in the 90s. :)

I worked for ACE coin who were in telford at that time. Owned by Sega as JPM were to (kind of like 2 subsidiaries). I worked there in 1997 for 9 months or so as a placement job related to my university degree. It was supposed to be a 3-4 month placement to gain experience into the industries you wanted to go into after graduations etc. BUT I had such a great time there, I asked to stay on all through the summer break etc and I didn't want to leave at the end!!!!! It was possibly the best time of my life!!! I almost sacked of the 3 years completed on the degree (with 1 to go) and just stayed there. I often think about whether I should have done this, but I didn't have the balls to quit my degree in the end lol. I did get a promise of a job though, but a year after they had relocated and merged with JPM themselves in Cardiff, so the in was no longer there :(

The people there in 1997 were some of the best people I ever met. Coders, graphics artists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, Bom guy

I was in the mechanical design department using 3d modelling software, which was revolutionary back then. the department was moving form 2d cad drawing to full 3d solid modelling, so I was helping redraw all the cabinets etc. There were 2 fruit machine cab designs iirc, a new one with extrusion frame and front opening and an older one with the back door only access type etc There was also a video quiz machine with a crt in it that I redrew pretty much all the parts for.

The code department was like a hold grail to me. They were always taking about the 'red bulb' modes haha. And there was much talk about checking no-one was putting secret codes in to empty hoppers etc. :)

Thinking about all this is making me want to try and find some of the Ace games from this era. I'd love to see some flyers, or a list of the games that came out in 1997 and around this time. The games I remember being built in the factory were:

Pot of Gold (that was their latest success I think)
Thru' The Roof - was the game in development during my time there I think.

Also, the art department and music departments came to me to ask if I had any pinball related info and images, after a discussion one lunchtime about new ideas, concepts. I lent them a lot of stuff inc some pinball books and audio cds from time shock/pro pinball I think. I am convinced (though I have no way to prove) that the JPM game Pinball Wizard released 1998 is the evolution of this discussion. (Ace was merged with JPM shortly after I left in 1997 to Cardiff) . I remember telling Kirsty, if you make a pinball game you have to put pop bumpers on it!!

Here is the leaving card I got hand made from Kirsty in the art department :)

View attachment 254760

and a thru the roof reel

View attachment 254758View attachment 254759

That's really cool!

You should pop over to Desert Island Fruits and share some details - there's a bunch of people on there (like me) who would love to hear any stories from your at time ACE. https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/ (if not then I'd really like to share your reel image, I can't find any info about Thru the Roof except this blank entry: https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=thru-the-roof&page=detail&id=41142... so you might have the only surviving piece).

There's a guy called Degsy who makes some really good videos about the history of some machines, talks (pretty well) about the holes in some roms that got patched later, top secret emptier techniques that only a select few knew about - recently seeing the light of day, rare games that no longer exist or only 1 is left (like Electrocoin's Street Fighter 2, or Dungeon Master), general chat chat. It's not about making money, all these games are long gone (although few retro arcades do remain), it's just about reminiscing and appreciating the art/design and general era of it all.

I played Pot Of Gold fairly often, they were common games - also had the red light 'guaranteed Jackpot' built in, although it could also do the cheeky noise without the red bulbs coming on, so it had player secrets layered with deeper secrets. They made a clone called Robin Hood with different art, sound and alpha programming - same game underneath - which didn't prove successful, still a few around though.

The 2 cabinets you mention are likely the Vogue rear opener - see pic of one of mine. Quite sought after machines nowadays. Started out with coin tubes, then a few later games had a hopper. They also did a front opening version towards the end of its life. Here's 1 of mine:

tempImageSHkpGB.png

Then there's the front opening Electra cabinet - coin hopper as standard.

All run Impact v1 or v3 tech. (I prefer v1, the battery is on its own board). I prefer the 80's style Vogue, but the Electra is miles easier to work on.

Do you have all 3 reels from Thru the Roof?? You should get them scanned and uploaded to DiF.

There's a JPM Pinball Wizard for sale on Marketplace right now: https://www.facebook.com/share/nHYL7cVhiqqpSuuB/ (link will only work while it's for sale). Sadly I don't rate the game very highly - something changed in the programming between the mid to late 90's that took a lot of the fun out of the games. The games became more sterile as jackpots increased and safety nets for 'unconventional playing techniques' got added. Shame really, as it's the perfect theme for a Pinball room! Not a bad game, some decent features in there, just not one for me.

You can download the MFME emulator off DiF and play all the games. Sadly the creator Chris Wren died a few years ago, so his work is lost and no longer maintained, but there's a big community who like to create layouts and keep it going as much as they can.

Whoever worked in the JPM/ACE music department - I'd like to personally thank them for some inspired choices of music in the mid-90's games.

Last edited:
I did have the 3 reels from thru the roof, but alas i only have 1 one now. Originally i had them mounted in a picture frame, but over the years it got damaged and clearouts saw me only keeping 1 for nostalgia reasons. I want to scan them for sure so the info doesnt get lost. Also my card i want to scan and maybe use on t-shrits!! ha

Happy to head over to the https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/ and share this story/images if you think it will be well received. Is you username the same on there so i can link you as the reason i turned up 👍😅

That's really cool!

You should pop over to Desert Island Fruits and share some details - there's a bunch of people on there (like me) who would love to hear any stories from your at time ACE. https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/ (if not then I'd really like to share your reel image, I can't find any info about Thru the Roof except this blank entry: https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=thru-the-roof&page=detail&id=41142... so you might have the only surviving piece).

There's a guy called Degsy who makes some really good videos about the history of some machines, talks (pretty well) about the holes in some roms that got patched later, top secret emptier techniques that only a select few knew about - recently seeing the light of day, rare games that no longer exist or only 1 is left (like Electrocoin's Street Fighter 2, or Dungeon Master), general chat chat. It's not about making money, all these games are long gone (although few retro arcades do remain), it's just about reminiscing and appreciating the art/design and general era of it all.

I played Pot Of Gold fairly often, they were common games - also had the red light 'guaranteed Jackpot' built in, although it could also do the cheeky noise without the red bulbs coming on, so it had player secrets layered with deeper secrets. They made a clone called Robin Hood with different art, sound and alpha programming - same game underneath - which didn't prove successful, still a few around though.

The 2 cabinets you mention are likely the Vogue rear opener - see pic of one of mine. Quite sought after machines nowadays. Started out with coin tubes, then a few later games had a hopper. They also did a front opening version towards the end of its life. Here's 1 of mine:

View attachment 254791

Then there's the front opening Electra cabinet - coin hopper as standard.

All run Impact v1 or v3 tech. (I prefer v1, the battery is on its own board). I prefer the 80's style Vogue, but the Electra is miles easier to work on.

Do you have all 3 reels from Thru the Roof?? You should get them scanned and uploaded to DiF.

There's a JPM Pinball Wizard for sale on Marketplace right now: https://www.facebook.com/share/nHYL7cVhiqqpSuuB/ (link will only work while it's for sale). Sadly I don't rate the game very highly - something changed in the programming between the mid to late 90's that took a lot of the fun out of the games. The games became more sterile as jackpots increased and safety nets for 'unconventional playing techniques' got added. Shame really, as it's the perfect theme for a Pinball room! Not a bad game, some decent features in there, just not one for me.

You can download the MFME emulator off DiF and play all the games. Sadly the creator Chris Wren died a few years ago, so his work is lost and no longer maintained, but there's a big community who like to create layouts and keep it going as much as they can.

Whoever worked in the JPM/ACE music department - I'd like to personally thank them for some inspired choices of music in the mid-90's games.

Signed up and posted over on the forum you mentioned. Hopefully i get verified as ok!! :) haha

I did have the 3 reels from thru the roof, but alas i only have 1 one now. Originally i had them mounted in a picture frame, but over the years it got damaged and clearouts saw me only keeping 1 for nostalgia reasons. I want to scan them for sure so the info doesnt get lost. Also my card i want to scan and maybe use on t-shrits!! ha

Happy to head over to the https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/ and share this story/images if you think it will be well received. Is you username the same on there so i can link you as the reason i turned up 👍😅
Yep, same username - I'm not imaginative enough to think of a new one.

I'm sure they would be - it can be a bit slow on there sometimes though.

Last edited:
I use to have the remake version of pot of gold it played exactly like the original one rollercoaster not so much.
Whats the history on remakes? man, i'm learning some stuff today. Plus i've had to dig deep on the memory banks haha. What an awesome time at ace!

Back
Top Bottom