What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DE Star Trek 25th

kev a

Site Supporter
5Years
Been contacted by a couple with a DE Star Trek 25 they have had for a number of years but developed a fault a while ago where it stopped launching the ball.
It was clear it wasn't going to be a quick fix so offered if they drop it round I could have a look when I have time and a bit more space to work.

Symptoms were none of the 50v special solenoids or flippers were working at all, the 50v fuse had been pulled and a couple of the coils had been unsoldered and had the wires twisted, presumably by someone previously trying to fault find.
Also has some strange audio distortion that doesn't seem to adjust with the volume pot, and has previously had some battery leakage, although at some point luckily the battery's have been removed before any more damage

Replaced the 50v fuse with the correct rating slow blow, soldered up the coils and powered on, instantly both the kickback and VUK coils locked on and upon testing the matching TIP36 transistors on the Aux PPB board both were shorted.

I disconnected both offending coils to test and everything else seems to be working, ordered and fitted new coils with diodes and replaced the two blown TIP36 transistors, checked the TIP102 transistors on the CPU board and they didn't seem to be shorted. Very quickly powered up/down but the coils locked on and immediately blew the tip36 transistors.

Have replaced the TIP36 transistors again, but this time unplugged CN12 on the CPU board and the TIP36 transistors remained intact without blowing, which leads me to believe its the CPU board holding them on.

Here's a picture of the CPU board, I plan on cleaning what I can to get a better look, but wanted to document how it arrived. There seems to have been some leakage just below the battery holder, the resistor array has a couple of corroded pins and the tops of the Transistors have got a bit of a splattering too.

20240530_210351_HDR.jpg

A quick question for anyone who has dealt with board repairs with acid damage, is it worth me attempting to replace the TIP102 and pre transistors, or is it a nightmare waiting to happen? I'm conscious its not my game and certainly don't want to cause more damage.

Need a close up photo of the area around the battery in order to see how well someone's attempted clean-up was.

You can clearly see corrosion damaged components in the bottom left of the board - must have dripped from the battery directly on to them. Any that are green will need replacing and that connector bottom left. A close-up photo of that area would also help.

Need a close up photo of the area around the battery in order to see how well someone's attempted clean-up was.

You can clearly see corrosion damaged components in the bottom left of the board - must have dripped from the battery directly on to them. Any that are green will need replacing and that connector bottom left. A close-up photo of that area would also help.
Yeah going to pull the board out over the weekend, will get some close up pics :thumbs:

Here's some closeups, haven't attempted any sort of clean yet, doesn't look like anyone has

Seems to be most evident directly below the battery holder and the transistors at the bottom, little resistor array looks nasty too 😮

Attachments

• 20240609_155204_HDR.jpg
    20240609_155204_HDR.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240609_155214.jpg
    20240609_155214.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240609_155234.jpg
    20240609_155234.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240609_155245.jpg
    20240609_155245.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240609_155347.jpg
    20240609_155347.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Board is still being eaten alive as I am writing , needs neutralising and doing exactly what @Moonraker says you are in safe hands as he knows what his is talking about !

Very repairable and not much different to this:
Cool! have to admit, I was a bit surprised by the cost of Rottendog replacements, don't suppose its something you would take on? normally I'm all for learning and giving things a go, but apprehensive on someone else's game.

I like the mod with the nail in the Rom socket😂

I’m repairing the one in the linked thread above although it’s not data east it’s whitestar

On your board the cpu chip is directly under the batteries so probably it and the socked will be corroded like this was

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 11
I like the mod with the nail in the Rom socket😂

I’m repairing the one in the linked thread above although it’s not data east it’s whitestar

On your board the cpu chip is directly under the batteries so probably it and the socked will be corroded like this was
Good point I should really remove the CPU and have a look, the nail.....not my handiwork but I'm remembering that in case I ever snap a leg off a chip 😁

I am west of London if that suits and can do this. Don’t have a game to test though.

Back
Top Bottom