What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A diary of a beginner tournament player

Great write up Simon 😁 I really enjoy reading these.

Taking notes on so many games is a massive endeavour, props for that. That will keep being useful though as you'll see half these games at PBR comps at least. I'm up to 86 games that I have notes on now. I like to refine from a YouTube tutorial mess of notes, to getting some hands on practice, to condensing it down to the major points or a key path through the game that I prefer.

If you don't already look at them, the Tilt forum rulesheets for new games often have lively discussions in the replies on what strategies people are shooting for, for inspiration. Ultimately I prefer to try out a few strategies and pick the one that works best on the machines I have access to. Like there's zero chance chance of me nailing 100 loops on the Dr Who at The Pinball Office, so I had to figure out "second tier" strategies.

You're right the best card format is HARD, and we don't get much chance in the UK to practice it through the year. So it's tricky to figure out the right way to approach it, tactically (when to void, game selection etc.) and mentally (which game to pick when, securing a solid finish on a good ticket etc.)

I'm still kicking myself for finishing off my best classics card with my "safe pick" Alien Poker and absolutely crumbling under the pressure.
I definitely take a similar approach to note taking, they’re tailored to what is realistically achievable for me and only a handful of machines have notes about major wizard modes! I’ve organised them by event or location so I have one each for UK Open / PBR, SWL, Pinball Office, Tilt, Pinfest etc.

Agree that Tilt forum rule sheets are great, also Silverball Mania for classics :)

This is interesting but I'm struggling to work out how I would incorporate that into my selection strategy mid-tournament.

If we're saying these five games were the most prevalent in qualifier's tickets, that seems to mean picking those makes you more likely to qualify.

But it also means that the better players are playing those five games a ton, and I'd be better off staying away from them and playing games like Flash that wasn't being blown up by the top competitors.

I think im close to understanding something, I could have a look at the top tickets mid-event and see which games are over-represented for the qualifiers, but can't quite work out what that implies for the best strategy...
Analyzing the data after the comp has finished clearly is a bit like bolting the stable door, but what it' does do is allow you to determine if your gut feeling was right mid tournament.
In this instance I wouldn't have been far off the mark with my decisions had I been competing, having followed the comp on stream a lot.

I'll post a separate thread about my thoughts on strategies of game pick so as not to derail Simon's thread further

Analyzing the data after the comp has finished clearly is a bit like bolting the stable door, but what it' does do is allow you to determine if your gut feeling was right mid tournament.
In this instance I wouldn't have been far off the mark with my decisions had I been competing, having followed the comp on stream a lot.

I'll post a separate thread about my thoughts on strategies of game pick so as not to derail Simon's thread further
Look forward to it Wayne, love this stuff!

Do you want to put it here?

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/the-pinball-tourney-improvers-club.60276/

I tried to repeat the success of my 'unofficial moans about pricing' thread with an unofficial tournament discussion thread to try to keep all the tips, useful videos, and strategy discussions in one place as a useful ongoing reference (and to avoid derailing other threads). Hasn't worked so far, but this is another attempt to get that going... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom