What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan or original rubbers

Steve Arnold

Site Supporter
10 Years
I know this is probably a stupid question but will ask anyway!!

Why are people switching to Titan rubbers rather than original ones we all used to use? I’m not a regular player and have a few machines but now some need shopping. Going to start on fishtails. Would it benefit from Titan if it’s played maybe once twice a week?

Just wanted to ask.

Thanks
Steve

Also worth noting that they are just a silicone alternative. Titan being a brand name. They are expensive.
I was putting a titan order together just yesterday and even the tiny rings were about 90p each.

I went on to pinball mania website and he stocks perfect play brand. They’re about a third of the price. So went with those.

I don’t see it makes much difference. I know @David_Vi is a connoisseur when it comes to rubbers!!
Unless we’re talking flipper rubbers. Then there is. It’s personal preference but I find titan flipper rubbers put tremendous spin on the ball.

Worth trying both and see what you think.

Titans put more bounce on if you're used to superbands or worn bushings. I think they're great but always happy to try different rubbers.

Original pink rubbers on flippers are great if you want to be true to the original, I'd use them myself but I like how easy it is to clean silicone (titans or perfect play) and they have brighter and more varied colours available.

I've had silicone rings of different brands warp out of shape, for example they'll stretch thin around posts so when you turn them you'll have weird stretched out bits or become weak and break at the corners. I don't remember which brand this was, but it was my first experience of silicone rubbers so probably a pinball center kit if not perfect play.

All rubbers can snap or break but at least with silicone once they're not going to dry out and spread dirt everywhere.

Also worth noting that they are just a silicone alternative. Titan being a brand name. They are expensive.
I was putting a titan order together just yesterday and even the tiny rings were about 90p each.

I went on to pinball mania website and he stocks perfect play brand. They’re about a third of the price. So went with those.

I don’t see it makes much difference. I know @David_Vi is a connoisseur when it comes to rubbers!!
Unless we’re talking flipper rubbers. Then there is. It’s personal preference but I find titan flipper rubbers put tremendous spin on the ball.

Pinballmania (Andy the Legend) gets my vote too.

It’s that personal service from a guy that’s been around since forever. He gets my business every time

Had perfect play on the lord of the rings, post lasted about 20 games, titans are better quality, certainly for the posts.
They also come in all sorts of colours which can improve over the stock black

I tried Perfect Play and didn't like them. The tension around the flipper bats requires you to practically break your fingers to get them on. I much prefer Titan, they look less like silicone and more like a traditional rubber to boot. Don't go thinking they last forever though, they won't. They just last a lot longer than normal rubbers. I know people complain about the cost of them, but when Pinball machines cost literal thousands, shelling out £100 or so doesn't honestly feel like much in comparison.

I use Titans. They feel similar to original rubbers and they make less mess on the playfield. They're also wipe clean and come in a wide range of colours. They do split/tear eventually - just like anything - but they don't flake off constantly like rubber.

However, I'm switching back to red/yellow rubbers for the flippers because I find the Titans a bit 'flat' for practicing drop and live catches.

I tried Perfect Play, but they didn't have the right tension. It was like playing pinball with plastic around the posts.

Silicone posts are rubbish they get teared up in no time. I would recommend Cliffy's post sleeves instead.

I had this with Perfect Plays version of the thin stern post rubbers when we had turtles. They had holes in them really quickly. I think that's more because Sterns use really thin post rubbers.
I haven't had to replace a post sleeve on anything else but most now have titans on.

The cliffy sleeves look great for the thin stern ones but do you have to order from him directly?

I had this with Perfect Plays version of the thin stern post rubbers when we had turtles. They had holes in them really quickly. I think that's more because Sterns use really thin post rubbers.
I haven't had to replace a post sleeve on anything else but most now have titans on.

The cliffy sleeves look great for the thin stern ones but do you have to order from him directly?
Personally I don't really see a difference between titan and perfect play. They feel the same, wear the same, etc. Just my experience with both brands.

Yes the placement on some Sterns like TMNT does mean they get a lot more abuse.

You can order direct from Cliff, or pinball life seems to stock them. Maybe something to carry in your store @David retro ?

Personally I don't really see a difference between titan and perfect play. They feel the same, wear the same, etc. Just my experience with both brands.

Yes the placement on some Sterns like TMNT does mean they get a lot more abuse.

You can order direct from Cliff, or pinball life seems to stock them. Maybe something to carry in your store @David retro ?
I’ll look to get these added thanks for the mention always appreciated

Thanks for all the replies. Might try some perfect play. Always been happy with ordinary ones so time to try something different.

Thanks
Steve

Back
Top Bottom