What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Tourney Improvers Club!

VeeMonroe

Registered
There's been some great posts about tournament play recently, such as @Taxiturn's brilliant Diary of a Beginning Tournament Player.

However, I've noticed things can get lost/buried because there doesn't seem to be a central place on the forum to talk about all things tournament - whether it be YouTube tip videos, upcoming tournaments, moans about WPPRs, and so on. This can be especially important if you're a new (or keen to improve) player who wants to share tips and thoughts with others online.

Anyway, I thought maybe I could open something similar to my 'moans about pricing thread', which started in 2022 and is still going - two years later - and on its 29th page!

So, gather up your lance and horse yourself ready for the Pinball Tourney Improvers Club thread.

A list of basic resources below! Please feel free to suggest additions.

FOR BASIC PINBALL SKILLS

I'm sure everyone has been recommended the Abe Flips 'How To' videos on basic pinball skills at some point, but - incase not - here they are :)

Aiming and Shooting:
Drop Catch:
Live Catch:
Shielding:
Micro-flips:
Post Pass:
Dead Bounce:
Skip Pass:
Slap Save:
Nudging Part 1:
Nudging Part 2:

However, you are a woman or child, or just a small man, then - in my experience - most nudging/slap saving techniques probably won't work for you. I don't have the explosive upper body strength to move a pin with my hands/arms alone. Stern code developer Tim Sexton (who is apparently my height) has a great video on nudging/save stances (as a smaller/weaker person):

I saw Helen de Haan -Verbeek doing some amazingly athletic nudges during the Ladies Final of the UK Open 2024 - mostly following what Tim is doing above, but with extra vim and vigour! At one point, she saved a ball by kneeing the machine in its metaphorical groin and then full body wrestled it towards the ground. The pin didn't move that much, but the manoeuvre did the job while looking impressive!

FOR LEARNING RULES

Tips-wise, PAPA Pinball have a whole (and still growing) set of game tutorial videos, mostly presented by Bowen Kerins, the 10th best IFPA ranked player in the world:

If you're starting out (or just not that great), they can be above your level of play and just make you feel intimidated. Bowen Kerins makes most of his shots with 99% accuracy and doesn't account for the varied skills between players.

You can find written rules and strategies for individual pins on PinTips, the Tilt Forums Wiki (mostly new machines) and on Silverball Mania (older pins).

One of the best ways to improve as I have mentioned before is just come and play/compete - especially with others. Join a matchplay tournament or a league, and you will certainly improve. This is by watching others, getting friendly advice and just seeing what you are 'meant' to do or other ways to play the game. You also get more used to tournament conditions/pressure situations, meaning it starts to get easier as you get more used to it.

Many tournaments coming up, including Special When Lit comps on Oct 12/13th, PBR classics matchplay on Oct 20th, Tilt Super Series 4 on 27th Oct) and PBR critical hit on Nov 9th! (Amongst many others- I have mentioned the ones I know off hand still taking signups - feel free for others to add)

One of the best ways to improve as I have mentioned before is just come and play/compete - especially with others. Join a matchplay tournament or a league, and you will certainly improve. This is by watching others, getting friendly advice and just seeing what you are 'meant' to do or other ways to play the game. You also get more used to tournament conditions/pressure situations, meaning it starts to get easier as you get more used to it.

Many tournaments coming up, including Special When Lit comps on Oct 12/13th, PBR classics matchplay on Oct 20th, Tilt Super Series 4 on 27th Oct) and PBR critical hit on Nov 9th! (Amongst many others- I have mentioned the ones I know off hand still taking signups - feel free for others to add)
Yuen, this came from a chat between Simon (@Taxiturn) and several others on his Diary.

Wayne was going to post in a new thread to avoid derailing the diary with lots of chatter, and I thought it might be better putting everything in a centralised location along with Abe Flips videos and links to rules sheets for reference. My idea was to make the new thread a useful one-stop resource for others, including complete beginners, as well as a good place to chat about rules, note taking apps, and so on. This worked for my 'moans about pricing' thread, which has now largely stopped every For Sale advert becoming a fever swamp of pricing discussion!

It's just me, with a bad cold, trying to be helpful and organised!! :)

Everyone, even Escher Lefkoff, is welcome in the Improvers thread because, however good we are, there are always things we can do better.

Last edited:
Hi Vee, if you want this to be a thread for resources then there are a few others which I think are worthy of a mention.

Twitch

Lots of good pinball streamers these days, recommend Foxcitiespinball (mostly streams tournaments from District 82), IEPinball (Karl DeAngelo, tends to be gameplay streams) and of course BackhandPinball (tournament streams). This isn’t a time-efficient way of learning but is a good way to pass a quiet evening!

Jersey Jack flowcharts

JJP publish a rules / objectives flowchart with all of their machines. The directory for these is here: https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/distributors/

IPDB

Database with various pieces of information for most machines ever made, often including rule sheets, manuals etc. Especially useful for older machines which aren’t otherwise discussed online / don’t have Tilt rulesheets and the like, and for seeing pictures of playfields for machines you’ve never come across before.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

This all said I do agree with Yuen that playing tournaments and talking/observing whilst there is the best way to improve, the homework just accelerates the development process a bit and might improve your scoring efficiency.

Adding to the Twitch list - usually fairly entertaining, and Jim often describes game strategies (plus there's puppy-cam)

Back
Top Bottom