What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powder coating

Steve Arnold

Site Supporter
10 Years
What are peoples views on getting pinball parts powder coated like side rails and legs in different colours? This king of doing a few pins up. Also any idea what the costs are for legs, side rails, backbit hinges and lockdown bar?

Thanks
Steve

Powder coating a games armour really depends on the colours of the artwork on the game as ideally you want it to blend in or contrast the overall look of the game.

What’s games are you thinking of doing?

Theres a dedicated thread on Pinside where people put photos up of their newly powder coated armour.

It’s pretty good for ideas. I usually use the search option on this thread to view the game I’m thinking about doing.

Reactions: JT.
What are peoples views on getting pinball parts powder coated like side rails and legs in different colours? This king of doing a few pins up. Also any idea what the costs are for legs, side rails, backbit hinges and lockdown bar?

Thanks
Steve
I’ve just paid £120 for legs, rails, lockdown bar and hinges.

Price depends highly on what powdercoat is used. Satin black is cheaper. Glitter or one off colours can be much more expensive if special order.

Personally I like doing it & it suits some games really well. You're maybe looking at about £10-15 an item, more for fancier paint. Maybe cheaper for simplicity.

I've steadily accumulated a spare set of Stern metal so I can get games coated and then swap bits in situ - saves the games being stripped, tombstoned and then sat unplayable. Swapping uncoated/original for coated/upgrade on Sterns is really really easy. Bally/Williams side rails can take some prising to get off, so I don't bother doing those - only the legs in that scenario.

Stern:
4x legs
1x lockdown bar
2x backbox hinges
2x side rails.

B/W:
4x legs

I don't both with coin door or plunger housings.

Useful thread: https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/powder-coating-safe.41450/page-4#post-314653

Let the powder coating company know which bits of your meal is hidden so they can ensure the outward facing surfaces are nice.

Thanks all for the replies.
I’m thinking at the moment to maybe do it to my
Fish tales,
Scared stiff
De Star Wars.

I have a transformers with lovely blue glitter and really like the effect on the machine. I know it’s people’s own preference but can’t do any harm I guess and can always get original bits to put back to normal.

Thanks all for the replies.
I’m thinking at the moment to maybe do it to my
Fish tales,
Scared stiff
De Star Wars.

I have a transformers with lovely blue glitter and really like the effect on the machine. I know it’s people’s own preference but can’t do any harm I guess and can always get original bits to put back to normal.
Fish Tales can be a tough one due to the bright and colourful artwork on the cabinet so if you chose the wrong colour, is can look a bit OTT. But as you said it’s down to your own preference.
IMG_5714.webpIMG_5715.webp
On one of the FT that I just restored, I went with a gloss black which I think helps frame and bright artwork.
IMG_1937.webpIMG_1934.webp

Back
Top Bottom