What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin Shack Flooring

Biff

Site Supporter
10 Years
Hi, looking at investing in some building work so i can more comfortably store to play and work on my pins / cabs etc. Slapping a bit on the side of the garage. We are lucky to have a fair bit of garden and some space to the side of the house.

So the bolt on to the house could house 9 pins and 3 cabs comfortably i think, with 300mm between tables for wriggle room and working on them. Taking into account the garage, 14 playable pins in total and 4 cabs, still have some space to work on at least one and room for bike, moped etc.

Not yet committed on the design or area, but it will be a block and brick build, single story pitch roof (with some storage space above i hope). For purpose of building regs it will be named as storage, but we will insulate to the level of living. Once main build done and approval received, I will then heat and rewire etc.

Interested in any lessons learned from anyone that has done this or something like - could even be a separate wooden build?

Also what about your flooring. I am a regular pin donor for shows etc so they will be in and out at least once a year. I was thinking carpet tiles, and dark in colour and investing in brand new feet for all pins so no oil, rust or sharp bits to create marks or damage when they get moved about - what surfaces worked well for you what did not?

What have others used for feet, especially if you are pulling them in and out like i do.

Any other oh I wish i did this or wish i did not do that?

Cheers

JB

1725532293775.webp

For pulling them in and out a lot I would probably recommend one of the pump truck trolley type things then it doesnt matter what your feet are like as they will be off the ground when moving.

There is a thread on here somewhere with everyone's builds including materials tips etc.

For pulling them in and out a lot I would probably recommend one of the pump truck trolley type things then it doesnt matter what your feet are like as they will be off the ground when moving.
Lol - Good point i have one, never used - maybe now it will get used.

Any other oh I wish i did this or wish i did not do that?
Wish I'd not had skirting boards installed in mine, those extra mm's would have made glass removal more comfortable and I may have even been able to squeeze one more game in there without a glass removal saga.

I'd suggest an inverter aircon system for heating. Really energy efficient and you get cooling too. Wastes no floor space as it's a wall mounted internal unit.

I have 2 units at home - both Mitsubishi Electric - which along with Daikin is considered the top brand.

There is an excellent guy based near Lincoln who installed these units four years ago and they have been faultless.

He is installing a 5.0kw Mitsubishi Heavy industries premium unit for £1750 inc vat and commissioning for me next week in a commercial unit of mine. The cheaper non wifi 4.5kw model is 1600. Both have a 5 yr warranty.

https://www.airconditioningworld.co.uk/mitsubishi-heavy-industries-srk50zs-w-src50zs-w-5-0kw-

Mitsubishi Heavy is a different company to Mitsubishi Electric and a well respected "mid market" brand - not Chinese rubbish.

I'd suggest an inverter aircon system for heating. Really energy efficient and you get cooling too. Wastes no floor space as it's a wall mounted internal unit.

I have 2 units at home - both Mitsubishi Electric - which along with Daikin is considered the top brand.

There is an excellent guy based near Lincoln who installed these units four years ago and they have been faultless.

He is installing a 5.0kw Mitsubishi Heavy industries premium unit for £1750 inc vat and commissioning for me next week in a commercial unit of mine. The cheaper non wifi 4.5kw model is 1600. Both have a 5 yr warranty.

https://www.airconditioningworld.co.uk/mitsubishi-heavy-industries-srk50zs-w-src50zs-w-5-0kw-

Mitsubishi Heavy is a different company to Mitsubishi Electric and a well respected "mid market" brand - not Chinese rubbish.
Thanks, was going air con as well. I have rad pipes flow and return ready to drop though, i may stick a 2.5m double rad in there on a Motorised valve, just to keep the edge off in the garage, but yes in the main new build air con unit. so less than 1800 installed?

Power sockets at waist height, rather than on the floor, so much easier to access behind a machine.

Consideration of lighting so as not to create reflections while playing.

If you get some furniture coasters to put under each leg that will solve the problem of damaging the carpet, and also make them a little easier to slide out.

Power sockets at waist height, rather than on the floor, so much easier to access behind a machine.

Consideration of lighting so as not to create reflections while playing.

If you get some furniture coasters to put under each leg that will solve the problem of damaging the carpet, and also make them a little easier to slide out.
Was thinking the same for the sockets, i did that in the garrage for the ones i put in - my waste highest most peoples chest height... :-) Good idea re coasters.

I went with carpet tiles, no regrets. I also have furniture sliders on my games, sometimes they are a little too slidey when nudging with the carpet tiles, you may want to experiment with only having them on the back feet

I went with carpet tiles, no regrets. I also have furniture sliders on my games, sometimes they are a little too slidey when nudging with the carpet tiles, you may want to experiment with only having them on the back feet
Good idea, then just lift front up to slide out. Thanks.

Also I went with smart lights but I wish I'd put them on 2 different switches for the 2 different rows so I could just turn the back row on instead of getting my phone out everytime

Also I went with smart lights but I wish I'd put them on 2 different switches for the 2 different rows so I could just turn the back row on instead of getting my phone out everytime
Good point about lighting. I wanted to have a shelf that ran all the way round for tat and stuff, that ran above the pin heads. What are peoples thoughts about LED strip lighting, some soft lighting in on the ceiling in the corner all the way round, verses at skirting level verse traditional spot or strip lighting? I would like to have enough light for people to move around, no glare on glass but when i am doing stuff, enough for task lighting.

We've got carpet tiles. When I want to move a game I pop furniture sliders on the feed and they move easily. You still have to get them on though.

When we got the room rewired I got the sockets half way up the wall but when the room got done properly two years later I got them to move the sockets back down to the normal height as I couldn't reach the sockets when all the games were in without pulling a game out and getting behind it and then it's irrelevant how high they are.
Plus I thought about resale value in future. Our room could be used for anything but I think a load of sockets halfway up a wall would look odd if the room is used for anything but pinball😄

Laminate or lvt for me over carpet tiles any day. You can slide games about with ease using furniture cups with a felt bottom, or rubber ones give no slide at all if that’s what you prefer.

Laminate or lvt for me over carpet tiles any day. You can slide games about with ease using furniture cups with a felt bottom, or rubber ones give no slide at all if that’s what you prefer.

I'd agree. Just we went carpet tiles thinking they'd absorb some of the sound as it's a small room. Plus easy to replace.

Back
Top Bottom