What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paris Olympics

Opening ceremony was an utter disgrace and an insult to many. Some American sponsors have pulled their ads which is good.

The normalisation and obsession with drag queens and prancing around with children is something everyone should worry about.

They even have a convicted child rapist competing.

Last edited:
Not even talking about the content which I found abominable as well - everybody should live his life as he/she/it sees fit but no reason to wrap every possible event around that. Why on earth do I have to watch a naked blue fatso singing? Can't really see the artistic value.
But besides that the craftsmanship of simply editing the video, directing the flow and technical quality was way sub par. They aren't responsible for the rain but having something to wipe the camera covers is elementary school level. Very basic mistakes of cutting across axis and against the flow, going round the lava island with the Beatles song in circles makes me sick. Also, why do I have to watch a robotic horse on the river for ages as well as the transport of the fire back to the Tuileries with a completely point- and useless drawn out handover relay where everybody sticks in a group anyway including two persons without legs (I truly commiserate, but this isn't the paralympics) and a chap in a wheelchair who could barely lift his arm. All to light a "fire" which actually is water vapour and LEDs.
Sad travesty of a good idea.

The relay started with ZZ, and then got handed back to him on the stage a complete waste of everybody's time, he should have just kept hold of it himself.

It looked like something a manic dance teacher might have produced for BGT (they'd have got 4 buzzers pretty quickly).

The athletes boats looked like they'd just cobbled together tourist boats from the Seine which weren't in use - there was no uniformity of Olympic branding on them whatsoever.

The miming of the artists was woeful and clearly obvious.

It was an ambitious idea, but not executed very well. At least TV viewers had something going on for most of the time, I can imagine the vast majority of the people lining the streets would have spent most of the time waiting for something to pass.
There's a reason why all other opening ceremonies have predominantly been in a stadium - it gives a focus for the audience to actually watch something.

I agree the opening ceremony was an embarrassment. But the Olympics mark a cultural moment in time and I think it represents the mess we're currently in perfectly.

It might get worse before it gets better but let's hope one day we'll look back on this mental health crisis and hopeless political situation in the west and laugh about it.

For our kids sake

Back
Top Bottom