What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting v coating

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
10 Years
Need to paint or coat a coin door, frame and BB hinges.
Previously I’ve rattle canned them with decent results but thinking powder coating would give a better more durable finish.
Obviously it will be pricier but less graft for me.
My main concern is the coin door hinge, would they just avoid coating it so it isn’t gunged up?
Any pointers gratefully received,
Cheers, Alan

They free up easily, and you can pick/cut off the bits that break, I’m guessing that chemicals from the cleaning process or oil in there originally mess up the powder coat process at the hinge points

Attachments

• IMG_2992.webp
    IMG_2992.webp
    64.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2991.webp
    IMG_2991.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2990.webp
    IMG_2990.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 25
Only issue I had powder coating coin doors is the thickness of the powder coat made them stiff. Best to let the guy doing it know it's purpose. Guy doing mine didn't even know I had handed him a coin door.

I always powder coat coin doors. The finish is much harder wearing and will save you time in prepping it for paint.

They won’t be able to avoid the hinge. As @Asiapinball has said, the hinges always free up.

If you want the classic black “hammered” effect finish that the original UK coin doors came in, you want to use leatherette powder 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom