What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate LEDs with a passion. But…

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
10 Years
I’m relenting for some applications (see pic) where lamps are inaccessible unless you dismantle half the playfield, so I need to know which ones are a straight swap and as close to incandescents as possible.
Ta, Alan.IMG_1539.webpIMG_1539.webp

I’m guessing the lamp holders are soldered on to the braid like earlier system 11. Right pain in the butt

Can't you just unscrew the lamp holders from below the pf to change those lamps?
I could but it's still a PITA to get to the top of the PF. Also knowing if a lamp's blown, there's 4 round that top orbit, 3 of which look dodgy and an empty socket which probably been lampless for a couple of decades.

Found these from machines I’ve deledded, anyone know if these would fit my criteria?image.webp

Will those few LED’s effect the GI dimming, I’m not sure. They might strobe they might not, depends on the game. You can always turn off dimming if it does.

You can get LEDs that are especially designed to give off a look of incandescents too. They're called "Retro" by Comet.

These are not the same Comet ones suggested earlier - though those are also an option, it's personal preference.

You're doing the right thing by putting them in hard to reach areas and forgetting about them.

If you like them, do your entire machine with them.

Will those few LED’s effect the GI dimming, I’m not sure. They might strobe they might not, depends on the game. You can always turn off dimming if it does.

This is one of the reasons I’ve avoided them, that and being blinded at Pinfest when I got a multiball on a led’d machine. Like a migraine on acid.

No, if you're going to do it, do it properly. Either go with the RETRO or Sunlight "frosted" from Comet. Ideally you want to get the frosted domes as they will diffuse the light and give you a better light spread.

Thanks for the info. Does it really matter? These are buried under plastics, can’t be seen directly.

Thanks for the info. Does it really matter? These are buried under plastics, can’t be seen directly.
Yes because a frosted one will spread the light out around it and a non frosted will create a spot on the plastic, if you can see it.

A Proper LED job won't blind you,, unless it's a sega/data east 😆

Yes because a frosted one will spread the light out around it and a non frosted will create a spot on the plastic, if you can see it.

A Proper LED job won't blind you,, unless it's a sega/data east 😆

Think I’ll order half a dozen comet frosted and see how they go. Can always revert to incandescents if I’m not happy.
Pinball chat over for today, off on a Metro pub crawl with a few others sampling the delights of Gosforth, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, North Shields and Byker.
Do you want any pics @cooldan ?

Think I’ll order half a dozen comet frosted and see how they go. Can always revert to incandescents if I’m not happy.
Pinball chat over for today, off on a Metro pub crawl with a few others sampling the delights of Gosforth, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, North Shields and Byker.
Do you want any pics @cooldan ?
Try and get a selfie with Spuggy

Back
Top Bottom