What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to whiten faded plastics

RichS

Registered
Hi all. I have for year been trying to find an effective way to whiten faded plastics. It is so annoying replacing broken white plastics as they stay out like a sore thumb against the old ones meaning you replace the lot!
I have tried hours in the Ultrasonic Tank, bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide & a UV light ,(works sometimes), Scrubbing with scouring powder. I have even tried tooth whitening, It apparently works on teeth, why not plastics? but no! Ideas anyone.

The console collectors use some special product submersing the plastic and leaving it out in the sun, but I think its hydrogen peroxide based anyway. No idea if there's anything else in it that makes it work better.

I have got rid of the yellowing on clear plastics with hydrogen peroxide, had some of the old stronger stuff though. Put it in a sandwich bag and left it out in the sun, virtually clear after. Took 2 or 3 days.

I tried this too a couple of years back with meh results using diff versions of the reteobrite mix. Some looked great initially but after a year or so went back to how they were, another console (famicom) it made the plastic very brittle and c64 still looks decent. Worth a try if you can get a couple of decent days

Back
Top Bottom