What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GZ prem lower left flipper not working

jonathan

Site Supporter
10 Years
Turned my GZ on for the first time in about a month today and the lower left flipper isn't working. Upper left flipper works fine. The button leaf switch is closing ok and there are no wires loose on the coil.

Any obvious causes before I drag the pin out and start troubleshooting?

Not at my machines as on holiday.
Think the connector for that is near the front.
Start wiggling the connector wires and you’ll find the culprit.
I had to re-pin the wire responsible within the connector and all sorted.

Reseated the cables on the node board and flipper is working again. Not sure which one is flaky? Orange wire from the flipper I assume
Possibly, but more likely a wire from the flipper button switch at connector CN9 ( node 8 ). The crimps and pins for switch inputs are tiny, I've had loads of issues with them ( flipper on Deadpool and RGB inserts being the wrong colour on DP, FF and GOTG ). Did you run switch and coil tests when the flipper wasn't working? That would confirm wether it's a switch input or coil output connector issue.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with Aerosmith. Bottom flipper worked but not the top flipper.

Playing around with cables would get it to work for a few games then it would stop again.

Turned out that it was the node board and the pins needed to be replaced on the connector.

Sounds like the pins. I've had various issues with connectors on the node boards. Re pin the wire for the one connecting the node board on the connector block. Instructions and tools are:

You will need the following toools if you don't have them:

1) these to pop the pins out of the housing or you can use a tiny screw driver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A15D3M0?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_wa_apan_dp_TAJE75F7GDTPQZ35NGXN
2) Pins:

pinparts.co.uk

Crimp Terminal - for 0.1" Pitch Housings 538-08-52-0123

Crimp Terminal - for 0.1" Pitch Housings 538-08-52-0123
pinparts.co.uk
pinparts.co.uk

I would get more than you need by at least 15. You will need a couple to practice

3) a crimp tool

pinparts.co.uk

HT-225D Crimp Tool for Molex Crimp Pins AWG 18-22 / 24-30 0.156" and 0.1"

HT-225D Crimp Tool for Molex Crimp Pins AWG 18-22 / 24-30
pinparts.co.uk
pinparts.co.uk

4) Wire Strippers

07-3112_lg.jpg

Wire strippers - Pinball Heaven

IDEAL STRIPMASTER LITE ; Length: 140mm; Product description: WIRE STRIPPER 16 TO 22; Stripping Capacity: 15mm; Stripping Capacity: 16AWG; Weight: 160g; Width, external: 100mm
favicon.png www.pinball.co.uk

5) Wire cutters

6) some spare wire to practice (if you need) I didnt

You need to do the following:

1) Take pictures of the housing and pins, plugged into the node board (so you know which pin goes where)

2) remove the pin causing the problem. To do this disconect the connector from the board. gently push the spiky tool or a small screwdriver in the hole slightly above the block furthest away from the wire. its metal and long for each pin. gently pull the wire at the same time. the pin will pop out.

3) Using the wire cutters cut the metal pin off. Just above the metal crimp bit, it will only cut around 1/2 centemeter of wire if that!

4) Take a pin and practive crimping it in the hole furthest away from the handle, the top one. Its a short very quick action. Once you got the hang of it..

5) measure the wire with the crimp so you cut the right amount. put the uncut wire in the crimp housing, should be just enough to cover the metal bit that u shapped.

6) using the wire stripper, placce the wire in the smallest hole, cut teh wire to the correct length the wire based upon the length measured

7) place the pin in the crimping tool, whilst the pin in the tool, put the wire in and then press the handle to crmip, fast hard and quick. Pin should be now on the wire.

8) push the pin back into the housing, will here it click. ready to go, plug the conector back in.

Back
Top Bottom