What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a replacment for the 6532 RIOT ic

myPinballs

Site Supporter
10 Years
Possibly my favourite chip of all time, i use it probably more than anything else in my 80b cpu boards, but having made over 200 new cpu boards now which equals >600 riot chips, i am aware of dwindling real stock and lots of bad/fake/dead ics around being sold as new. The current purchasing of ics has roughly a 1 in 7 reject rate. I currently run tests on each riot before i accept it as good for my boards. This wasn't as bad 5 years ago as it is now and i see it only getting worse over time. As i want to continue to improve and make more 80b cpu boards long in to the future, something new has to be done :)

So, this year i am returning to the PIC micro-controller family (used them at various point over the last 20 years, but more recently been on the arduino/teensy wave) to make some emulations of this chip.

The plan is to make a drop in replacement chip using an smd part with an adapter board to fit into the original 40 pin socket. After that phase 2 is to make a single chip that emulates 3 riot ics for use with my 80b cpu boards later. This way i have 2 choices. Projects after this may be to do similar for 6821 or 2 x 6821s, AY-3-8912 and TMS5200 ics, though this is just an idea right now.

Having written some c code and got what i think is a good starting point with something that compiles ok based on the RIOT datasheet i have drawn up a simple adapter board and am waiting for them to arrive before testing begins.

IMG_8457.JPG

fullsizeoutput_12aa.jpegIMG_8560.JPG

Back
Top Bottom