What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally Corvette engine theory of operation

Spandangler

Site Supporter
10 Years
Hey folks
Any of you clever people out there understand the theory of operation of the corvette engine mech.

I have had mine stripped down (machine bought as a project and never switched on) and compared next to a known working machine.
Forgive my glossary of terms here. I’ll try and describe as best I can!!

I noticed there is a tiny pcb mounted in the centre of the mech behind the Hall effect boards?? If that’s what you call them 🤷
Above that is metal horseshoe bracket which seems to have a magnetic coating on it. I’ve taken pics as best I can and circled the part I mean
IMG_2497.jpeg

IMG_2498.jpeg

So I guess my main question is, is that magnetic coating important. What does it do?

My corvette engine mech seems to be missing the magnetic coating

IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

This mech seems like it was developed by NASA

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Gaz

I wouldn't claim to be expert about this, but as I understand it the Hall-effect uses the principle that since electricity and magnetism can produce movement, movement and magnetism can produce an electrical signal. In this case, the signal is used to centre the 'engine' cage, with the trimmer pot on the circuit board providing fine adjustment. If you've not seen the machine working, the engine moves to either side after the Cpu has booted up, to check the opto switches, then moves to its centre position, with the additional engine control pcb under the playfield running the left/right solenoids to hold it in place.

I don't suppose this project has the 'engine locking' bracket with it, does it?. Even the one I unpacked had no description of what a bright metal bracket among the spares provided was for. But I thought it showed how hopeful WMS were about reliability. Later on, I refurbished one, which would ram the engine to one side and keep it there, so the owner had used an old fruit machine pay-out spring (the type with brass tags at each end) to try pulling it back to centre. That one had one of the three wires broken off the sensor; still, I can claim that I've taken the engine out of a Corvette.

Last edited:
I knew I could rely on you Jay 😆

So the fact that my has no magnets on it, mean it won’t function correctly ?

And regards the locking mechanism.. no not that I’m aware of. Wouldn’t know happen to know what it looks like would you?

I suspect that it won't, Gaz. Sorry.

The locking bracket is a well-made metal item, somewhat similar to a ball gate bracket. But without any holes for a gate flap, as I recall. It would fit in place on one end of the engine*, and attach to a post (or some static point) on either side to fix the engine centrally.

* after looking at the entry on ipdb, I think in place of one of the 'tie-bars' on top, which hold the sides together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom